Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3G: EE + "Three" both down in Heasta, Skye: Loch Eiseort + further south  (Read 4763 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

3G networks outage:

For most of last week both EE and Three 3G networks have been down in Heasta, Skye. The postcode IV49 9BN is further south than me and doesn't reflect the higher altitude of my house at around ~130m according to the o/s. Anyway I am the highest house in the village and normally get lots of bars in an upstairs window, devices need a clear view as the walls are > 4 ft thick stone.

Both of these two networks went down completely early last week, went from lots of bars to absolutely zilch, and started to come back on Sunday (2015-11-29) - motivated by St Andrew's Day, clearly. It's not a question of marginal signal become weaker, it is strong 24-7 signal disappearing completely, in this case times two networks. Could that be a power outage?

If one were to drive north from Heasta (IV49 9BN) towards Broadford, first gaining altitude, and then changing cells into ones served by basestations somewhere near (?)Plockton, then you would be back in business. When you drive as far north as the Fireach Clach, the highest point on the road, with expansive views to the north over Broadford Bay, it's all downhill from there on, and you are served by other cells to the north, presumably on the mainland.

My questions:

1) Is there a map of what basestations are where?

2) How do you complain / report an outage effectively to some outfit like EE or Three? - who simply say, "we haven't had any problem reports in that area". To which I feel compelled to reply, "well now you have had one".

In the case of Three, I have an Andrews & Arnold SIM (no voice, just Internet), and AA deliver their 3G Internet service over Three, so I can leave it to AA to complain and hope they have better luck, and also hope that AA staff's legendary motivation regarding kicking suppliers holds up.

I must point out that I am guessing as to the location of basestation that went down. The best I can say is that the down basestations are south east of IV49 9BN.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:38:09 AM by Weaver »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: 3G: EE + "Three" both down in Heasta, Skye: Loch Eiseort + further south
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:26:44 AM »

Hi

OFCOM has a finder site:

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

But there isn't much near you and not sure where to look.... Did find one at Corry and that is Orange...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: 3G: EE + "Three" both down in Heasta, Skye: Loch Eiseort + further south
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »

@tbailey2  - many thanks for that useful link. That basestation must be the one next door that didn't die, but kept on going throughout last week, and is probably the reason why my wife could get some service when she went North to civilisation (=Broadford). I'm assuming that the high ground that separates Broadford from Loch Eiseort to the south should block that basestation from being accessible in Heasta. I wonder why they put it at the lowest point they could find, at sea level. Bizarre. They could have plonked one at the Fireach Clach or on the top of the Applecross Mountains.

anything