Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: ISP recommendations for a 20CN Market 1 connection  (Read 17907 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
ISP recommendations for a 20CN Market 1 connection
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:50:53 AM »

Hi,

We're in the market for a new broadband and phone provider.  Currently both BB and phone are with the same outfit, so need to move both even if they end up in different places.  I was thinking of A&A for broadband, but don't know where that would leave us with the phone - possible cut off when our existing provider gets the BB moved away from them?   

Any other decent ISPs offering service to bog standard 20CN customers without stupid price rises?

I'm fed up with ISP and comparison web sites that offer loads of deals, but then only late on in the process suddenly withdraw the service as unavailable at our address, or drastically change the price.  For example Zen - put in phone number and postcode, hit "check availability" and a list of options comes up with my number and postcode at the top of the page, however there's another "check my line" option and when you select that the price nearly triples.

Thanks,

Tony S

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: ISP recommendations for a 20CN Market 1 connection
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »

Tony

A and A are of course one option (if you can afford them); I have moved and tried several ISP's over the years on my 20C exchange and my only advise is don't stray too far from BT.

Plusnet throughput was good but I can no longer recommend them due to call waiting times for support/line faults.

All others I have tried over the years always seem to have insuffient backhaul with peak time slowdows to about 1Mbps (post office, zen and vodafone); things may have changes since I was with these providers but may have not.

I am currently with BT business (£24/month broadband only) with care level 2, which is a 48 hour fix and pulse8 for line and calls (about £15/month inc caller display) again this is care level 2.

When compared to the non-discounted prices of BT and plusnet they are very similar, but with quicker fixes if problems do occur.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:04:07 AM »

Have a look at Pulse8 for the phone.

Line rental £13 (inc.VAT). 1p per minute peak, 0.8p per minute off-peak. All calls charged to the nearest second with no minimum call connection fees.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 04:24:43 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  Pulse8 sound good for the phone line.  Regarding A&A, yes they're expensive compared to some, but only £1/month more than BT, and less than Zen.   I have a specific concern which is that BT's DSL checker always comes up with an estimated figure of 1meg for us, even though we've synched at over 4 for just about all of the last four years.  A&A are probably the only ISP where there'd be the slightest chance of sending by DSL figures and asking to give a sensible speed estimate for my actual line.   I don't want another ISP like Plusnet who keep raking up that estimated figure and making out as if I was trying it on to expect better.

Cutting to the chase, I'm with Plusnet for both BB and Phone.  Would I be better transferring Broadband first, then moving the phone line?  I'm still within the promotional period with PN, and although I have it in writing that I can move away without penalty I don't want to unnecessarily rock the boat.  I still expect a fight but want to smooth the way as soon as possible.   Obviously if I was moving Phone and BB to the same provider I'd just let them sort out the sequence.

Thank, 

Tony S

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 06:35:23 PM »

A&A..£25 for 100Gb....not quite enough for my family when all in residence..plenty for my wife and I.

An estimate is just that an estimate...The figure an isp should look at is the fault threshold rate...http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

I just left plusnet, moved dsl first (10 working days) then phone....it takes 28 days to move both.

Good luck with the move.

Ian

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »

I have been an A & A user for five years or thereabouts. I use AA’s VoIP service for fixed phone line. This means that my copper lines have no POTS on them at all, they are DSL-only.

Highly delighted with their service. Notorious for proselytising.  :-[ Understandably you hear a lot from users when they have problems, so why not when they have good experiences too.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 09:16:17 PM »

The figure an isp should look at is the fault threshold rate...http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm
Yes that's another oddity - our MSR and FTR are dated a couple of weeks before we first had DSL, so equally unrelated to reality

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »

I just left plusnet, moved dsl first (10 working days) then phone....it takes 28 days to move both.
Who did you move to, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, Tony S

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 02:22:30 PM »

Who did you move to

I refer the right honourable gentleman to my previou reply  :P

I am currently with BT business (£24/month broadband only) with care level 2, which is a 48 hour fix and pulse8 for line and calls

;D
Ian

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »

Sorry, I was being a dumb ass.   

Anyway, just had a knock back from A&A.  I sent them a screenshot of the line data with attenuation, noise margin, synch rate etc.   However as far as they're concerned the BT estimate is 1meg so that's all I can expect.  Followed by a brief sales pitch for multiple bonded lines.   I've gone back to them in the hope that I've misunderstood, but as it stands I'd be paying a premium price to get only a quarter of my current speed.   

Back to the drawing board I guess.   Based purely on price (which is what it might come down to if A&A don't offer any particular benefit), it's looking like Post Office may be an option.  Does anyone know who operates their network?

Tony S

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 07:19:53 PM »

I don't understand why you think you would be getting 1 Mbps instead of 4. With a better modem, and other hardware bits and bobs improved you might even see an increased d/s sync rate.

You should ask for the line to be put back into the training phase once you get your chosen modem installed, plus top quality modem cable and microfilter if you need one. The training phase will establish your MSR and from that your FTR (do I have that right Burakkucat?). Then you will have a proper estimate of what "ok" means.

You can't expect AA or anyone else to make predictions, I'm afraid. It all depends in modems cables and siting in a clean location in the premises.

Stick with it, if you do all the right things, standard recipes for improving sync rate,mother uouneill see improved results.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »

I think you should ignore the BT estimated speed, if you have achieved 4Mbps previously there should be no reason why you could not achieve the same with a different ISP. This is particularly relevant to a 20CN exchange where all consumers use the same BT equipment. My BT wholesale estimate is up to 2Mbps and my actual sync speed is the full rate of 8128Mbps down and 448Kbps up so it just shows that the estimates are not to be relied on. You will be OK to go with A&A if you are happy with their usage charges, they can get a bit pricey for heavy usage. I don't think you will reduced to a quarter of your current speed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 07:32:12 PM »

What RealAleMadrid said.  ;D

Sync rate is all down to your modem, cabling and the DSLAMs in the exchange which will be the same for whichever ISP you are using.

The DLink DSL-320B modem (available to non-customers from the AAISP shop
    http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
) might well be faster than your current modem. Give it a treat and put it with a top quality faceplate-type microfilter (again AA shop) if you need one, and a Tandy RJ45 / RJ11 cable ( http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-0-5m.html  - various lengths available).

You can do all of these good things without signing your life away to AA or anyone else. Whatever you get at L2/L1 is all down to your hardware + BTOr anyway, as RealAleMadrid said.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:36:31 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 07:41:06 PM »

I don't work for AAISP, and I have no connection with them at all except for being an overly delighted customer who finds it a relief to talk to people who really know what they are on about.

And I'm still waiting for my commission cheque (due exactly 0 × p = £0.00, so I've probably been sacked).

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 08:13:50 PM »

Thanks, A&A are worth pursuing, but I think I need to get on the phone to them.  I was pretty disheartened by their email "I can see from the BT line checker that you can't expect to get more than 1Mbps on your line." in spite of the fact that I sent them actual line measurements showing the connection parameters right at that moment.   I was hoping for something more constructive along the lines of them agreeing that I should get more or less the same speed as from my current provider. (Actually my two previous suppliers, I was with a company provided Demon service for three years, and it was only the loss of that benefit that led to the ill advised choice of Plusnet.)

I've put quite a bit of work into getting my line up to scratch starting off by getting rid of rubbish internal extension wiring, then latterly adding VDSL faceplate and minimising cable lengths and using screened cable. Also reporting any sort of noise on the line helps as well.   I'm fed up with Plusnet claiming that my higher speed (higher than 1meg) is contributing to their problems, although that's far from the only reason for wanting shot of them.

I'm kind of on the fence at the moment, between just going with A&A on trust, vs trying to get something more encouraging from them before committing. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything