Announcements > News Articles

BBC, Li Fi 100 times faster than WiFi

(1/3) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
Wow, 100 times faster, that's 101 times the speed of WiFi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34942685

Except, let's read the detail...

--- Quote ---Li-fi can deliver internet access 100 times faster than traditional wi-fi, offering speeds of up to 1Gbps (gigabit per second).

--- End quote ---

Eh?  So, WiFi is limited to 10 Mbps.  Or at least, somebody told the BBC that it was, and they believed it, and gave that individual a huge splash of free advertising, funded by the BBC's income source, the licence payers.  :'(

They go on..

--- Quote ---It requires a light source, such as a standard LED bulb, an internet connection and a photo detector.

--- End quote ---

Err, why does it require an Internet connection, it's only replacing a local network?  And a 'standard' led bulb, really... like the one I bought last week, that was 'standard'?   And what about the uplink, my iPad has no LED light bulb at all?

I fully understand that the BBC may find it hard to field tech savvy reporters.   But if they can't manage to find a reporter with a basic comprehension of the technology they are discussing then, IMHO, they'd be best to just abandon the story.   :(

I'm not actually opposed to LiFi, it may have niche uses - such as in the near future as high speed satellite broadband becomes available aboard aircraft, if WiFi remains banned for safety reasons.   More likely, IMHO, the aircraft manufacturers will find a way, incentivised by revenue streams, of allowing on-board WiFi after all.

burakkucat:
Thank you for providing the link.  :)

:thumbdown:  For the reporting.

:wall:  Now why does my head hurt?

sevenlayermuddle:
In fairness, since posting it has occurred to me... My IPad does of course have a light source (led I assume), behind the display.   I don't think my oversight changes anything but if it does, THAT would have been the story.  :)

kitz:
If my memory serves me correct (possibly not) but hasnt li-fi been brought up and discussed on these forums before.  Possibly over a year ago, so I dont think the concept is that new.  I seem to recall it had several downfalls and although it may be useful in some instances its not ideal. 

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: kitz on November 29, 2015, 01:53:58 AM ---If my memory serves me correct (possibly not) but hasnt li-fi been brought up and discussed on these forums before.  Possibly over a year ago, so I dont think the concept is that new.

--- End quote ---

Thinking about it, I do believe that you are correct.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version