Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISPs: Info about the ISP Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) in the ISP listings  (Read 3660 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

The listing concerning Andrews & Arnold and their various offerings in the ISPs section could do with being updated and expanded.

They basically have 3 (or 3.5) different offerings.

* The Home::1 offering is for non-business users only. You get a certain amount of download allowance, you can buy extra if you wish. Example: 100GB download per month is £25. Upload is free iirc.

* Secondly there is an Office::1 service which is a high availability service with a firebrick and two or three lines.

*A variant on this (hence the .5) is "Office::1 Unlimited", a slowed-down FTTC service with truly unlimited usage, at fixed cost. You can download flat out 24-hours a day and you are charged enough to pay for this, but since the data rate is not high, the total amount of data that can be transferred in one month is not totally ridiculous.

* The traditional units-based tariff is where you buy units in advance, one unit represents a download allowance of so-many GB, depending on time of day, weekend or workday and on the type of connection, for example BTW 20CN ADSL being the most expensive in office hours compared with 21CN. Night-time usages 02:00-06:00 currently is charged at 1 unit = 1000 GB, weekend evening usage is 50 GB per unit, office hours = 1.25 GB per unit for 2.5 GB per unit depending on the type of connection. One unit costs £3.90, iirc.

So as you can see there is strong incentive to use as much off-peak as you can.if your usage goes over the number of units paid for in advance, you are charged for the access at a slightly higher rate. If your units are not used up during one month, then the remainder is carried over to the next month. This is the service I use myself.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:31:30 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: ISPs: Info about the ISP AAISP / Andrews & Arnold
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 10:49:29 PM »

I don't know how to fit these offerings into the format used in the ISP listing. Obviously we can give out some URLs and let people read the details. Could do with being updated though.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ISPs: Info about the ISP Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) in the ISP listings
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 11:25:14 PM »

So as you can see there is strong incentive to use as much off-peak as you can.if your usage goes over the number of units paid for in advance, you are charged for the access at a slightly higher rate. If your units are not used up during one month, then the remainder is carried over to the next month. This is the service I use myself.

To clarify (as I'm still feeling a little bit "dim" due to a medical condition), you do not use Home::1 nor Office::1 (the latter neither limited nor unlimited) but the traditional units-based tarrif?

Would you be willing to disclose the number of units you purchase for an average month, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 01:57:20 AM »

I went through and updated the pricing not too long ago, but left AAISP because of the way it works and as you say doesnt fit into a normal template.

The whole ISP section is due for a total re-write  (ratings and price format)  it is on my to-do list, but it will be a major item where there's no quick fix.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 10:22:40 AM »

I was wondering if, given how frequently ISPs change things (and in any case there's always special offers), you should have packages/prices? Trying to keep up to date is always going to be an onerous task.

I'd be tempted to limit it to what they offer by type of connection: 20CN/21CN WBC/TalkTalk Wholesale/FTTC/FTTP etc. Then give a link to their main packages page.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:59:06 AM »

[Off-topic in my own thread :-) should perhaps put this post somewhere else]

@burakkucat - I don't know enough about the home::1 and office::1 offerings, but I doubt that  either would be an option for me. It's complicated trying to make Home::1 work on multiple lines.

When I signed up with A&A, the x::1 services had not been invented, it was units-based billing only. I've never really looked into these service offerings before briefly reading the website in order to gather some material for this thread.

*I have an IPv4 /26, and in those days before IPv4 exhaustion really kicked in, having a block of whatever size you need was no problem. Nowadays users only get a single static IPv4 address, and have to use NAT if that isn't enough. I also have an IPv6 /48. Unfortunately I have a lot of kit that doesn't speak IPv6. So anyway I doubt that my config with its non-trivial IPv4 address blocks is  compatible with the x::1 schemes.

* I don't know if the download 1 TB per unit [!!] deal between 02:99 and 06:00 is available to x::1 users. I use this as heavily as possible. I would definitely miss this.

So there are a number of reasons why the traditional deal is the one for me.

Burakkucat wrote
>  be willing to disclose the number of units you purchase for an average month, please

I currently buy 15 units per month. That will probably go down quite a bit in the future. It used to be a lot lower, but someone has been going bonkers during the last few months.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:19:56 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »

@kitz - could volunteers make themselves useful? By doing some digging? Or is it just a way of making work

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 08:25:26 AM »

BTW There is a costs calculator on the website which will do the adding up for you, including £ for downloads and £ per bell and whistle.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 04:52:31 PM »

Thank you for your update on the various AA packages. I have only ever got as far as looking to see if I could make use of their services but have always given up due to the apparent complexity of the ins and outs!  ???  :-[
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.