Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VPN for gaming  (Read 4318 times)

N0STIE

• Reg Member
VPN for gaming
« on: November 27, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »

Anyone recommends any VPN (not free) for gaming that will reduce my ping to servers that I actually get higher ping on than I should be getting. There is just routing messed up for some servers I often play, it routes me through netherlands -> frankfurt then budapest (dont know why it was fine before) and it comes back to frankfurt then finally it reaches sweden that give me a ping of 70ms instead of 40ms I was getting before.

Thanks in advance!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: VPN for gaming
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:31:59 PM »

TBH Im not sure if VPN would reduce latency - more often than not it will increase it. 

VPN can work if your ISP is say shaping or throttling traffic or if you wanted to hide your IP from the gaming servers.   The issue here is with your routing so you'd need to find one that has servers in both london and near your gaming server, and who is to say their routing wouldnt be any better.     

In reality you should be approaching your ISP about their routing. :/   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 06:36:19 PM »

I think there is VPN's that people claim to be better routing for games. I guess it depends where you are compared to the server your connecting to. Like if your in the EU (UK = EU) and you are playing on a US server then some VPN's might cut down on some routing.

The only specific VPN -type of specific service for games that I've heard of is WTFast. It's been around for 5 years and has some big personalities endorsing it. I've never tried it myself so its up to you if you want to. That's the only one I know.

This is an interview that markeedragon did with WTFast creater Rob Bartlett 5 years ago:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RshJe1kt4Bo[/youtube]
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

G.DMT

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »

@N0STIE

I can suggest reasonably simple solutions for the issue you describe of poor packet routing from your ISP.

1) complain to your ISP (with good data obviously).
 They might be unaware of the anomaly and happy to fix it.

2) (when 1 fails ;-)  Move to an ISP with better (usually more expensive) (transit) routing to the destinations you care about

3) Pay for a proxy service and destination route the packets you care about via the interface to the proxy.

I would achieve 3) by a) using policy routing on my linux box or OpenWRT router  and b) Paying Andrews and Arnold £10 uk per month for their excellent Layer Two Tunneling Service.
http://aaisp.net/broadband-l2tp.html

* please note this is NOT a Virtual Private Network. Encrytion adds latency. There is no encryption.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:30:55 PM by G.DMT »

willieaames

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

If you don't have a bad routing while playing with naked connection, why do you want to use a vpn? If you play online competitively (lol, dota, csgo, ecc) you would be better with a lower ping.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »

Great suggestion from G.DMT, wouldn't have immediately thought of that.

The route I would have entertained, because I love free stuff, would be to sign up a free (for 12 months, I think?) AWS account and create your own OpenVPN connection to bounce through it.

It is possible to specify no encryption on an OpenVPN tunnel, so in theory, would have all the benefits of a lower latency L2TP tunnel.
You'd need to make sure you establish over UDP, for best results, I guess.

AWS recently introduced the London hub, in addition to Ireland, Germany and a load of others. Worth a shot if nothing else?

anything