Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

If line doesn't adjust after 10 days, do I cry 'stuck BRAS profile'

(1/4) > >>

setecio:
Just been looking at a connection on a speedtouch USB 330 which was only getting download speeds of between about 100 and 500 kbps for about 2 years. Filters were missing from the phones, so they have now been installed along with a Netgear DG834G. Package is (and always was) an 'up to 8Mbps'

Download speeds are now around 1.5 to 2 Mbps but the modem is syncing at 6240 (I think, in the 6000s anyway) which is about right.

Am I correct in thinking that we should allow 10 days for the DLM system to adjust

If the download speed has not adjusted up above 2Mbps to around 5 to 6 Mbps (and the modem is still syncing in the 6000s) then we should inform the ISP of a stuck BRAS profile?

Given that nothing has been done to fix it for 2 or 3 years, are there any other likely reasons or would it most likely be a stuck BRAS profile (if it doesn't adjust), and does the length of time that the poor connection lasted (2 years) increase the liklihood that the BRAS profile will get stuck, or does it not depend on time ?

Thanks.

b4dger:
The IP Profile should change from anywhere between 75mins and 5 days if it holds the new sync. 3 days often seems to be the norm in my experience.

When did you see the line sync increase?

kitz:
Theres also the possibility that if the line has been so poor over the past year or so that the DLM could have been moved to a capped rate max line.  These lines are sometimes difficult to spot but one of the most likely clues will be that the upstream is often fixed to 288kbps.

Otherwise if its still within "normal max", then the length of time its been at the poor speed shouldnt make a difference and it should soon increase inline with the sync rate.  A jump from 500 - 7000 should happen fairly quickly.

Thinking about it though - who is the ISP?  It may be worth asking if they can place a retrain on the line.. since the MSR and Fault Threshold rate are going to be way off too.
If its a decent ISP then its worth asking..  if its one of "the larger ISPs", then it may be more hassle than its worth trying to get them to understand what you are asking for.

[edited to correct typo 700 should be 7000]

setecio:
The speed reading that I took were 2 hours after making the changes

I think they'll be happy with the current 1.7 ish Mbps but if they ask me again I'll ask for a retrain.

I did notice the upstream speed was in the high 300s

Thanks.

kitz:
>> I did notice the upstream speed was in the high 300s

Should hopefully be ok then, and the full profile should change within the 5 day period

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version