Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is my cabinet full?  (Read 1870 times)

Kingninty

• Just arrived
Is my cabinet full?
« on: November 04, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »

We have had a fibre cabinet installed in our village two doors down from me, I checked openreach's website everyday to see when it would be activated, when it was activated it said that our maximum speed would be 24mbps which I thought was fair so I ordered it. Then a day later it disappeared from the openreach website but our order was still going through, then it reappeared again but this time it's max speed was  80mbps, I naively thought we would be automatically put up to that speed. The day came and we got around 21mbps which was fine then it dropped to around 5mbps, we then got an engineer out and he said we have been connected to the wrong flipping box, not the one right next to our house but in the next village a few miles away, so we emailed the CEO of openreach and he said that this is the correct way our connection should be, and even said that the cabinet in our village is full to capacity. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? And is there anyway that I can check to see if our cabinet is full? On BT's dsl checker it still comes up saying I am able to have 80mbps fttc.
Thanks for reading.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Is my cabinet full?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »

How are you checking? By phone number, address or just postcode?

It is entirely possible that you are connected to a different cabinet (and always have been) than the nearest one, this happens a lot, although I'd of thought less common if your in a village.

Use the wholesale address checker, enter just your postcode then submit. You should get a list of addresses for your post code, now check what each one can get and also check the cabinet number. If you want to PM me your postcode I can run an automated check on your postcode and see what it turns up.

Also check the cabinet nearest to you, not the fibre cab but the PCP and see what number it has on it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 07:22:40 PM »

I'm also wondering if the Cab next to your house is a 'secondary Cab' (Pillar). The common method would be to site the DSLAM (Fibre Broadband Equipment) next to the primary Cab, ie: in the other village you mention.

Pure guess work as we have no info to go off.

digitalis

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »

Was the speed drop from 21mb to 5mb sudden or gradual?  If the latter I guess it would be due to the cabinet filling to capacity and the associated crosstalk.