Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: REIN FTTC  (Read 3044 times)

beardedwonder

REIN FTTC
« on: November 18, 2015, 04:44:09 PM »

Hi,

My ISP (Plusnet) are claiming that there is REIN between 7:15-7:30. Nothing is turning on at this time in the house, I don't know what I should be looking at in dslstats that can confirm a problem. Which graphs should I be looking at?

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: REIN FTTC
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 05:47:41 PM »

Which graphs should I be looking at?

You would expect to see a fall in S/N margin, probably over a number of channels,  at the specified time of day.

beardedwonder

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »

In that case i'm not too sure what Plusnet are talking about. I have been having intermittent problems, multiple drops per day fluctuating snr after having months of a near perfect connection. I have had three engineer visits. Here is my snr for the past 10 days.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »

If i zoom in it seems to show dips of SNRM at 10 minute intervals could that be central heating  :-\

beardedwonder

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »

That doesn't seem to correspond with central heating (17:00-21:30) and on other days there doesn't seem to be the same pattern.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 11:57:44 PM »

it's possibly a nearby business or even a neighbouring property , using something that is emitting a lot of interference, it may even be some device that is connected to their phone line  causing it, but the interference may be being induced within the pcp

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »

I am not convinced this is a rein issue as G.INP should be trying its best to eliminate rein & shine your two resyncs early this morning would suggest some sort of line fault but you say you have had 3 OR engineer visits and passed this line as ok.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:21:21 PM by NewtronStar »

beardedwonder

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 12:22:38 PM »

The engineers, have replaced cabling in the cabinet and carried out some sort of reset at the exchange. They always leave saying everything looks fine. It looks like I will just have to cope with the drops, as long as it's no more than 1 a day I think I can cope with that, even though there seems to be a problem somewhere.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 11:57:54 PM »

The engineers, have replaced cabling in the cabinet and carried out some sort of reset at the exchange.

I am assuming that is your understanding of what was said?  :-\

As for replacing cabling, I can't see that. Most likely the tie cables for your circuit have just been re-crimped in the PCP.

Some sort of reset at the exchange. No.  :no:  It was probably a reset of the DLM for your circuit, either directly from the technicians laptop computer or as a result of making a telephone call to the operations centre.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

beardedwonder

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 09:05:47 AM »

Pretty sure the guy said new cables in the cabinet.

As for the exchange, he went there and phoned someone who remotely performed a reset on whatever piece of hardware my line is connected to in there. He said it's something that the engineers are unable to do themselves.