Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: G.INP in full flow  (Read 8703 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
G.INP in full flow
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »

I've just been analysing a line with a strange problem over on the TBB forums.

It turns out that, hidden in the background, the line is "suffering" from a lot of FECs and (for 75% of the day) a lot of G.INP retransmission. I don't think this cause the original issue (a big jump in speed), but it is interesting all by itself.

This means you can see a whole variety of G.INP statistics in operation, via the MDWS website. I can see 5 days (* must remember to donate one day), but it looks like the problem only started about 5 days ago.

Analysis starts here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4449595-re-overnight-15mbps-speed-increase.html

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: G.INP in full flow
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:15:27 PM »

Was testing are new crimbo tree 3 weeks ago and my G.INP go's into full flow due to interference from its thyristor circuit but no extra CRC's or ES so thats the good news.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »

Oooh yes - the first time we'll have seen G.INP encounter the christmas lights phenomenon!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 10:21:52 PM »

You can have a look now as the Xmas is up and running at 3pm 2 days earlier than expected I just do what I'm told  ::) you can see straight away how G.INP is dealing with this extra internal interference.

As the DECT phone is close to the tree the interference is travelling into the phone cable and then into master socket because as soon as I remove telephone plug from SSFP the interference stops at 10pm :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 11:09:13 PM »

This sound the right time to get my modified BT80B RF3 out RJ11 in and RJ11 out, removed DECT phone cable and replaced with above plus a Micro Filter to telephone SSFP and XMas tree interference has been removed  :fingers:

probably a twisted RJ11 to RJ11 cable would have had the same result but as I don't have a spare this will have to do.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 11:32:40 PM »

Very interesting. I presume you have used the microfilter to just convert the RJ11/12 plug to a 431A/631A plug?

One of Walter's clients in Ewhurst has had a long standing problem with his VDSL2 circuit as a result of thyristor controlled water pumps (owned and operated by Thames Water) injecting noise into the shared D-side cable bundle. According to my notes, Walter now owns a couple of BT80 RF2s and is waiting for the "moment to be ripe" to fit one of those filters into the analogue telephone circuit, within the Thames Water equipment cabinet.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 12:14:43 AM »

Very interesting. I presume you have used the microfilter to just convert the RJ11/12 plug to a 431A/631A plug?

That is correct I used to have one of those RJ11 to 431A converter plugs but can't find it must in the shed with the spiders thats why I used a Micro Filter.

It seems to be working as long as I keep the lights on a steady config but once you change the light config to say blinking or phased then the interfernce comes back yet not as bad since BT80B RF3 was fitted to DECT phone.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 12:30:11 AM »

It seems to be working as long as I keep the lights on a steady config but once you change the light config to say blinking or phased then the interfernce comes back yet not as bad since BT80B RF3 was fitted to DECT phone.

A BT80 RF2 would be even better!  ;)

Thank you for performing those experiments and sharing the results.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »

Wow - to both the impact of the lights, and the improvement through the RF3!

I note that the graph for "retransmission TX" peaks around 7,500 per minute, the "retransmission Corr" peaks at around 6,000 per minute instead, while "UnCorr" is essentially zero.

I guess that tells us that 6,000 blocks need retransmission per minute - 100 per second, or double the mains AC frequency; not a coincidence, I guess. Also that 1,500 of those blocks need re-transmitting twice before they get through correctly.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »

I note that the graph for "retransmission TX" peaks around 7,500 per minute, the "retransmission Corr" peaks at around 6,000 per minute instead, while "UnCorr" is essentially zero.

I guess that tells us that 6,000 blocks need retransmission per minute - 100 per second, or double the mains AC frequency; not a coincidence, I guess. Also that 1,500 of those blocks need re-transmitting twice before they get through correctly.

Ah, I see. Having read your analysis, it now makes sense!  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »

A BT80 RF2 would be even better!  ;)

Thank you for performing those experiments and sharing the results.

It was a surprise to see this interference but once you ask yourself how and why is this interference is getting into the master socket, there must be millions of DECT phone cables that are the flat type none twisted which act like an 1 or 2 meter receiver antenna.

All I have BC is two BT80B RF3's one is that modifed cable and the other is unused.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 06:43:54 PM »

It was a surprise to see this interference but once you ask yourself how and why is this interference is getting into the master socket, there must be millions of DECT phone cables that are the flat type none twisted which act like an 1 or 2 meter receiver antenna.

Indeed. There is a distinct lack of ready availability of UTP cable with a 431A/631A plug at one end and an RJ11/12 plug at t'other.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »

Just seen a clip on ITV to warn christmas tree lights may slow your broadband and said there is an app for smart phones to see if there is interference, what is this app called ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 08:18:02 PM »

Just seen a clip on ITV to warn christmas tree lights may slow your broadband and said there is an app for smart phones to see if there is interference, what is this app called ?

Ah, I believe that is the subject of a thread, Ofcom WiFi Checker, which was started by 7LM earlier today.  :)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 08:34:34 PM »

I prefer Wifi Sweetspots by Assia
Pages: [1] 2