Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Channel 5 and their Demand5 site on Linux  (Read 10764 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Channel 5 and their Demand5 site on Linux
« on: November 25, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »

I am wondering if anyone here has been able to view any Channel 5 programs on their Linux PC? I have tried and despite having the latest (Linux) Flash installed it still comes up saying I need to install the latest Flash.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Channel 5 and their Demand5 site on Linux
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »

I've just tried, and I couldn't get it to work either. They say that it requires Adobe Flash 15.0.0 or greater, and the latest Linux version is 11.2.202.xxx.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:46:37 AM »

Not quite a Linux PC, but in the spirit thereof... A Panasonic TV, running Firefox OS.

Working as well as intended.   Picture quality not brilliant  on big screen compared to Beeb's iPlayer, more like an old VHS tape in fact, but I'm sure that is 'as intended'.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 11:24:05 AM »

I've just tried, and I couldn't get it to work either. They say that it requires Adobe Flash 15.0.0 or greater, and the latest Linux version is 11.2.202.xxx.

Not working here either running Flash 11.2.202.548 on Ubuntu 14.04

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »

Not quite a Linux PC, but in the spirit thereof... A Panasonic TV, running Firefox OS.

Working as well as intended.   Picture quality not brilliant  on big screen compared to Beeb's iPlayer, more like an old VHS tape in fact, but I'm sure that is 'as intended'.

I dont believe the TV Apps work in the same way as a normal browser, since Android Demand5 works and that has no flash.

Thanks to the others, just confirms what I found. I'll try to report it to Ch5 but I doubt they will be interested.

Stuart

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:43:06 PM »

I am wondering if anyone here has been able to view any Channel 5 programs on their Linux PC? I have tried and despite having the latest (Linux) Flash installed it still comes up saying I need to install the latest Flash.

Stuart
What's the url ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »

Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »

I have just tested both Channel4 and Channel5 and neither will display on a RHEL 6 system with the latest available 64-bit flash plugin (from Adobe) in Firefox.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »

I have subsequently tested with Chrome on Linux and that wont work either (my default browser is FF) although the symptoms are different - no error message but it just hangs. I also tried the get_flash_videos perl script (the latest version) to see if it would download the required programmes but it also fails. Apparently its a known problem because they turned on encryption, I believe Ch4 is the same.

This seems to me to be a common case of well it works on Windows so it must be OK and we dont care about anyone else using 'other' software! Needless to say Ch5 have not responded to my email.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »

Just had the following reply from Channel 5 -

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding Demand 5..

We have no plans to support Linux, and following a recent update to the player on the website it is possible that Demand 5 will no longer work on Linux machines. However, we understand that it is possible to get the latest version of Flash Player if you install Google Chrome, as it will always update to include the latest Flash Player. More information on this can be found on the following link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/193876/using-firefox-on-linux-your-flash-player-is-old-and-outdated/

Thank you for your interest in Channel 5.

Stuart

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 02:22:22 PM »

Sounds like I'm excluded on three separate counts, then...

I avoid using windows because I don't trust Microsoft.
I avoid enabling flash, too many vulnerabilities.
I won't install Chrome because I don't trust Google.

:D

That said, it does actually work on OS X in Safari, once I temporarily enabled flash player.  So it's not just windows after all. 

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »

I seem to recall having problems playing ITV or Channel4 (can't recall) and the problem was solved by installing hal-flash which these channels use to implement DRM on their streams.  Sine Adobe will not be providing a flash version above 11 for Linux, I am not sure what the solution is (other than running MSWindows in VM).

EDIT:  On another box I use chromium browser with widevine plugin and it seems to work.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 01:22:37 PM by Mick »
Regards,
Mick

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »

The Chrome browser is supposed to work as it has built-in flash but Ch4 acknowledge there is an issue which they hope to fix. As for Ch5 their are not interested. ITV and BBC work OK for me. You can use pepperflash in Firefox which is supposed to work but does not but then nothing works for Ch5 anyway whatever you use.

Stuart

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:19 PM »

The only way I could get this to work on my daughters Linux laptop was to use 'VirtualBox' Firefox on a Virtual Win 7 computer.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »

Only just seen this thread but Ch5 seems to work with iPads which don't do Flash, so I presume if you switch your User-Agent string to be the same as an iPad it may stand a chance. I don't run Windows or allow Flash and often change my Firefox user-Agent string to make sites supply an HTML5 compatible of videos.

I just tried Ch5 with my usual string and it still asked to install Flash - pretty pointless as my supplied User-Agent string reports an OS that doesn't support it! A little experimenting may fix it.
Pages: [1] 2