Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why is Silicon Valley helping the tech-savvy jihadists?  (Read 6359 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Why is Silicon Valley helping the tech-savvy jihadists?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 12:53:23 AM »

Apply the logic to owning a gun. Are gun and weapons manufacturers helping jihad

Also why do you have to have something to hide in order to be allowed privacy.

Caught by association. Finding who they associate with. Not a free reign on info.

Are you making a connection between those who own guns for no obvious reason and those who seek to use strong encryption Apps for no obvious reason?   

I'd say that was a very fair comparison actually, point well made!

WesBez7

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 08:39:21 AM »

Why ask when you've made your own interpretation, saying its a point well made. Asked and answered.

The point is people should be held accountable for their own actions where law is concerned and privacy shouldn't be based on the premise that you've got something to hide. Hope that clears it up. 

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 09:53:01 AM »

Maybe worth re-iterating my views here, from this and other threads, as I think I might be being misunderstood.   Foremost,  I am deeply troubled by the invasions of privacy that affect every aspect of modern life, examples...

I got junk mail yesterday from a (respectable) life insurance company, with whom I've never had dealings.  It included an 'out of the blue' sample quote based  on my actual month and year of birth, so they knew my date of birth.   I'd imagine they obtained that data from some shared database, to which I supplied the data when buying some other product from some other company, probably in the financial industry.  And when making that earlier purchase I probably ticked 'I agree' to the T&C that stated they would share my data  - I probably had no choice, else they'd have refused my business.

My email is hosted by Google.  They make no secret of the fact that they will look at (read) hosted email for the purposes of, at least, targeted advertising.  Again nothing illegal, and I undoubtably ticked 'I agree'.

Millions of people sign up to supermarket discount cards (I don't).  An elderly lady, who signs up for all of them, recently commented on how 'accurate' (to her interests) the junk mail she received these days, had become.  No surprise to me.

These are the things that scare me.  I wish they were not legal.    Having the ability to 'secretly' tell my other half that I'll be home late for dinner, using some strong encryption App,  pales into insignificance. :)

WesBez7

Why is Silicon Valley helping the tech-savvy jihadists?
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »

That's your personal preference. That's just being facisous re 'secretly'. What happens if someone was targeting you. Studied how you and your other half interact. Study your movement. Where your children go to school. All of a sudden innocent info becomes useful to unscrupulous people. Again it's not about having a secret. Privacy is no joke in any context.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »

That's your personal preference. That's just being facisous re 'secretly'. What happens if someone was targeting you. Studied how you and your other half interact. Study your movement. Where your children go to school. All of a sudden innocent info becomes useful to unscrupulous people. Again it's not about having a secret. Privacy is no joke in any context.

Would they really do by eavesdropping on  messaging Apps? 

Far more likely, I would say, the data would come from Google's location tracking - one reason I do not own an Android phone.   Or it may come from the Mobile phone company's own logs, or from Apple's, I choose to take that risk.  In either case, I simply don't think that encrypted messaging Apps would make a lot of odds.

WesBez7

Why is Silicon Valley helping the tech-savvy jihadists?
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »

I'd rather have encryption and not need it than, need it and not have it. Just like car insurance. House insurance.

Tracking is a different ball game. Google is a giant in the information and search business. Hard to slow down a company that is so good and has a monopoly. It's name has become a terminology.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything