Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Continuous ring from telephones  (Read 8542 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Continuous ring from telephones
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . I hear the tintinnabulation of alarm bells!

I will suggest that you call 17070 from your land line telephone and check the number reported in the "This circuit is defined as nnnnnnnnnnn" message. If it is not your number, try calling the number so reported from your mobile phone. If your land line telephone then signals an incoming call, it proves that some else's circuit has been connected to your pair and a fault report should be made to your telephony provider.

I did that, you're right. A different number showed up. I dialed that number and the house phone started ringing. Very annoyed with BT :( This should be a simple fault to fix yet the engineer hasnt even checked that the line is in the right number. If he had called my number he wouldnt have got through.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »

If you call your correct number, is the call answered? If yes, after explaining to the other party to this mix-up, then you have all the information to pass to Openreach so that they correctly resolve the problem.  :-X

I just hope that the other party, who currently "has" your number, does not make many calls to Australia . . .  :o
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 10:42:43 PM »

If you call your correct number, is the call answered? If yes, after explaining to the other party to this mix-up, then you have all the information to pass to Openreach so that they correctly resolve the problem.  :-X

I just hope that the other party, who currently "has" your number, does not make many calls to Australia . . .  :o

lol.. so far nobody as answered on my number. I have noticed though that according to my online bill I've not made any phone calls from December 27th. I know I have, so my calls must be allocated to this other number. Hmm.. now where can I dial in the US!?  ;D

I wrote a message on the BT forums and filled out the contact the mods form. So we'll see if the mod can help. I had called before India (I thought BT were bringing their customer services back to the UK!?), and the guy said he'd re-open the fault and give me a call back on the 11th of January. He hasnt re-opened the fault. So I'm hoping this mod can help.

If this carries on I'm going to be looking for some compensation as I need the phone for hosptial appointments and that kinda thing. Because of my disabilities I don't get out as much as I used to, so having electronic communications is a big thing for me.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »

lol.. so far nobody as answered on my number. I have noticed though that according to my online bill I've not made any phone calls from December 27th. I know I have, so my calls must be allocated to this other number. Hmm.. now where can I dial in the US!?  ;D

That's fortunate.

I wrote a message on the BT forums and filled out the contact the mods form. So we'll see if the mod can help. I had called before India (I thought BT were bringing their customer services back to the UK!?), and the guy said he'd re-open the fault and give me a call back on the 11th of January. He hasnt re-opened the fault. So I'm hoping this mod can help.

I left BT just before all residential CS was transferred to India. If I was still with BT I guess I would be  :wall:

. . . I need the phone for hosptial appointments and that kinda thing. Because of my disabilities I don't get out as much as I used to, so having electronic communications is a big thing for me.

Yes, I can fully understand that.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 04:59:14 AM »

Internet access is such a massive thing for some disabled users. I now get downstairs for a few hours some days, but earlier, before Xmas I hadn't been downstairs hardly for four months or so. The Internet brings the world to you, if you know how to use it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 04:15:57 PM »

Internet access is such a massive thing for some disabled users.

b*cat nods, knowingly.

The Internet brings the world to you, if you know how to use it.

Indeed.  :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 07:09:47 PM »

Well after talking to the India guy, and the BT Community Forum's moderator, neither have been in touch with me, and the reported fault still remained closed.

So today I've opened another fault. I did the diagnosis thing again and now its saying the fault is at 4. Close to customers property. It's given a date of 14th of January to fix the fault. So far I'm unimpressed with the BT engineer at the exchange. Let's hope this one will actually check the job before he signs off on it.

Btw, does anyone know what the process is to get signed on to BT's disability priority system? I remember looking in to it a few years ago. But I remember the form they was asking for had stopped being produced just after ww2.

P.S. BT's fault reporting website is rubbish, it doesn't save anything. Won't save the alternative contact number. Won't save an email address, even though it claims it did!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 07:17:55 PM »

> BT's disability priority system?

Btw this is only available for BT Retail ISP users? Is that right?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 08:10:54 PM »

> BT's disability priority system?

Btw this is only available for BT Retail ISP users? Is that right?

I think its for anyone who rents their phone line off BT. I'm not sure how it would go for some of the fibre people on different phone packages with other companies. I know I was still covered even though I was renting off TalkTalk while on adsl2+ (i was with Be) before I moved to fibre and fully with BT.

I like to see the best in companies when it comes to technology. But my personal experiences with BT is they make an easy situation difficult. This is the stuff they need to work on because it makes them look like idiots. A friend of my dads had a phone problem and BT after deciding there was a fault underground dug up and filled the hole in 6 times in 6 weeks. It's still going on.

I think one good thing about bringing other eyes over Openreach is that there will be more accountability. I'm not convinced the engineer at the exchange did anything. If I was a bad engineer and I didn't do anything there wouldnt be an comeback on me. That's not a good way to run a business.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 08:15:44 PM by Bowdon »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »

Oh, it's not an Internet thing then.

Many thanks

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 08:16:22 PM »

Oh, it's not an Internet thing then.

Many thanks

It's for the old tin can copper lines :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »

There is a Let us know how we did section on the Openreach web-site. Perhaps you could use that to get your message across regarding the cross connected lines?

Failing that, you could send a concise e-mail complaint to the top of the Openreach pole -- joe.garner@openreach.co.uk -- and some minion should then take charge of your complaint. (Yes, I appreciate that Joe Garner is leaving or has left Openreach but a message sent to the above e-mail address should still reach the executive level.)

Pages: 1 [2]