Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Continuous ring from telephones  (Read 8529 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Continuous ring from telephones
« on: November 21, 2015, 11:39:10 AM »

My phones have very recently started ringing continuously when anyone dials in (since yesterday).

I have removed the faceplate & even disconnected the VDSL & tried a variety of corded phones directly into the test socket.
The continuous ring was still present when dialling in.

There doesn't appear to be a problem when the phone is answered & when the VDSL is also connected, it doesn't appear to be negatively affected by a continuous ring tone.

The continuous ring sound instead of the normal ring, ring, pause is quite annoying though, so I suppose I'll have to report it.
However, I don't really wish to take time off work to wait in for a engineer.

Does anyone know if this can be rectified WITHOUT an engineer needing to make a home visit?

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Continuous ring from telephones
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »

If the remote testing finds a fault somewhere on the network before your property, then an engineer gets sent to fix it, no home appointment or visit needed. It depends on the outcome of the line test.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »

I am unable to think of any condition of the metallic pathway that could give rise to the fault so described.  :-\

My suspicion falls on the exchange equipment, specifically the circuitry that provides the pulsed cadences of AC voltage across the pair (a.k.a. the "ringing generator"). Such a fault would affect many (but not necessarily all) lines connected to your local exchange. Have you checked with Doris, your immediate neighbour? Is she afflicted, likewise?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 02:37:50 PM »

It's probably an exchange problem. I had something similar issue a year ago. The phone would constantly ring. I think its something to do with a voice part.

An engineer might need to come out. But if he does then he attaches a reader to the line and he can see how far the pulse is getting and how strong it is.

BT eventually fixed the fault for me. So keep at the people responsible for the voice side of your phone.

Edit: When you say ring continuously, do you mean "ring, ring".. or "riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig" ?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:15:46 PM »

Edit: When you say ring continuously, do you mean "ring, ring".. or "riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig" ?

It was riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing until answered.

I went away on holiday a couple of days after I posted & everything was back to normal when I returned, so I have no idea what the issue was.

I hadn't reported it, but maybe someone else had the same issue & reported it.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 08:28:56 PM »

Apparrently the ring part comes from a pulse from the phone exchange.

Ironically I've just discovered a fault on my phone here too. I noticed I wasnt getting the same amount of telemarketers calling. At first I thought "Great!". Then I've realised that when people call my number, the phone doesnt ring here at all. Even if I pick up the phone I just get a dial tone, even when I know the person is 'in-call' to me.

Why can't these engineers leave things alone when its working!

Luckily I noticed BT have a proper fault reporting system now and it tested the line and found the fault. Going to take 6 days apparently.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »

Luckily I noticed BT have a proper fault reporting system now and it tested the line and found the fault.

Did it specify what and where it thinks the fault may be?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 03:26:26 PM »

At the exchange. They have a little diagram. This where my last problem was too.

I would like to say I find it amazing it takes them 6 days to sort this issue. But I'm not.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »

Could be for a plethora of reasons ............... the work-stacks are incredibly high at the moment and with the on-going flood devastation, labour is being distributed all over the place via our 'Field Dynamics' leaving a skeleton staff in some areas.

It could also be due to a particular flavour of Exchange line-card that needs ordering and replacing ......... or if you are with an LLU, it may be that their own engineer is not due to attend that Exchange area for 'x' amount of days ??.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »

Btw do some of the LLU operators have their own engineers who are employees? (As opposed to the third parties on contract, the likes of Mic an Amadain's and so on.)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »

Afraid I wouldn't know conclusively ?? The ones we see sometimes have civvy clothes on and sometimes contractor-branded attire ..... I have to say, I can't recall seeing anyone working on LLU Exchange Equipment with ISP-branded garb ??

That said ..... it's very, very rare we would find ourselves in the same room. They tend to work in the HDF area (Handover Distribution Frame), whereas we work mostly on the MDF (Main Distribution Frame). There may be the odd occasion whereby the ISP requests we test for DSL/PSTN services at the HDF port, to prove whether the 'tie' between the two points is fit for purpose.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 09:06:24 PM »

At the exchange. They have a little diagram. This where my last problem was too.

Thank you. I've seen that diagram before and it essentially tells us nothing -- from the symptoms described, the fault would have to be in the serving telephone exchange.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 10:19:04 PM »

It's very strange problem. I received a phone call earlier from one of the telemarketer people. So I thought, maybe the problem is solved. So I dialed my phone number from my cell phone and the house phone didnt ring. I even picked up the house phone and just heard the normal dialtone.

It's as though the incoming phone calls are going to another number, and maybe that telemarketer dialed that number and got through to my house.

I think its been like this for at least a week, as we usually always get 1 or 2 telemarketer calls a day.. I 'sorta' missed them when they didnt happen lol.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 11:20:10 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . I hear the tintinnabulation of alarm bells!

I will suggest that you call 17070 from your land line telephone and check the number reported in the "This circuit is defined as nnnnnnnnnnn" message. If it is not your number, try calling the number so reported from your mobile phone. If your land line telephone then signals an incoming call, it proves that some else's circuit has been connected to your pair and a fault report should be made to your telephony provider.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »

I'll try that.

The phone fault was supposedly fixed. But it's not. The engineer never even tried calling the number to check it was working. Now I've got back to the website to report it as not fixed. But the website is broken!

After entering the reason for saying its not fixed, on firefox it says Field Required and goes back to typing your reason. It never moves past it. On Chrome is says cookie expired and returns to the reason box.

Looks like I'm going to have to call them up.. SMH  >:(

Edit: It seems the website re-opening a fault part as been broken from at least August last year.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:15:33 PM by Bowdon »
Pages: [1] 2

anything