Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SamKnows whitebox - Video test beta - up to 250GB per month  (Read 9732 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: SamKnows whitebox - Video test beta - up to 250GB per month
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 06:41:59 PM »

Hi

Many thanks, but Sam knows are I believe restrictive to which testers they use, and I would think part of the process to determine a tester would be at which cabinet/exchange is used.

Also, if limits cannot be set to unlimited, then as posted, the tester does not use the full data of unlimited, so should not impact the users limit too much

I think myself Sam knows is trying to get a real picture of proper usage, not calculated rates as speedtesters do, and if your cabinets full, with a high number of users streaming etc, that's going to affect everyone even if Sam knows not running.

Lastly, and I'm not sure if this has changed, but if the tester is using their broadband, the tests do not take place. It used to be set that way but as I said, not sure if this has changed

Many thanks

John

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »

Or a number of testers all on the same cabinet/exchange affecting speeds for other users.

I cannot believe it is necessary to transfer such a huge volume of data to get the results they require.

it probably is as they need to test consistency.

The isp's are probably aware of bandwidth usage from samknows and they might be able to whitelist samknows traffic, ask your isp and see what they say.

e.g. EE have a speedtest app and it doesnt eat into the allowance on the mobile package.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 03:05:36 PM »

My box has been disconnected and I will be returning it.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 09:17:30 PM »

I'm also of the opinion that some of those figures are very high - even those who are on capped accounts and there are several ISPs who do still have capped accounts.

Take for eg you could be with AAISP and the Samknows box would consume >35GB of your 100GB allowance.   :-\

Are they also able to identify those who are on legacy capped accounts as they cant assume just because say you are with Plusnet that you are on unlimited. 

I'm with ejs & jelv on this in that it may not cost the EU, but ultimately it could affect the BTw based ISPs who are billed for bandwidth.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »

As an aside are SamKnows needing more testers... in which case why should Plusnet be sending out this to my recently deceased dad.  (They aren't to know as its about the only thing I havent yet transferred over to mum - Im intentionally waiting a bit before swapping over the phone).

We always want to make sure we're delivering a great broadband service for our customers. Part of this involves regularly getting independent views on the broadband we provide.

Ofcom, the UK communications regulator, has partnered with SamKnows to research broadband performance in the UK. They're looking for customers of various broadband providers, including Plusnet, and we'd like to ask you to take part.

The research involves connecting your internet router to a device, provided by SamKnows that monitors the performance of your broadband connection. It's very simple to do, won't affect your internet connection and it will only monitor the speed of your connection, not what you do online.

If you volunteer you'll get access to your own data so you can track the performance of your broadband connection.

If you'd like to take part, please sign up here.

PS the sign up 'here' link contains a tracking referral link that starts http://bt-plusnet.trclient.com/id=
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:24:58 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »

Hi

I can confirm Sam knows correctly identified our broadband line as been on a capped data usage, contacted us to confirm the line details and had the cap removed. This before this thread started.

I would also consider that prior to undertaking these new tests, most if not all, and probably some questions which have yet to be raised were already considered, and actions taken to overcome them, so as not to disadvantage anyone, tester or ISP, with ultimately where it is not possible, the tester is on a reduced data test.

I also think that either the ISP are been given an allowance based on the number of testers or have had additional bandwidth allocated FOC to their account, again based on the total number of testers.

Therefore if the above is correct, and I am not stating it is, then it becomes in the interest of the ISP to increase the testers for Sam knows and the ISP can state they are helping their customers

As I said though, I could be wrong as these are just my opinions, so my Sam knows box remains on and connected.

Many thanks

John

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »

Kitz, I also had one of those emails recently which I responded to and have not heard anything back. I would presume that if PN are sending out these emails then they are happy with the data usage.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »

Hi

I looked at Sam knows website and there are a lot of ISP who are part of this, bt, pn, kcom, virgin talk talk etc, and all have agreed to unlimited data usage if provided with the tester details.

Many thanks

John

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »

I wonder what the ISPs were told the usage would be? Right up to the end they were telling me it was 2.1GB per day when it was way more than that.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530
Pages: 1 [2]