Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Infinity will only connect with HH5  (Read 3687 times)

chulann

BT Infinity will only connect with HH5
« on: November 14, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »

Hi All,
I got BT infinity a few weeks ago. Connects OK with the supplied HH5A. I always intended to dump the HH5 and figured the best way to do this was with an unlocked HG612. Engineer who installed the line confirmed the cab was Huawei.

I got a HG612 and had problems with it (See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16405.0.html). I've now gotten a replacement HG612 and a TP-Link TD-W9970 - neither of these will do a DSL sync. I even tried cloning the HH5A MAC address (as printed on the bottom of the HH5A) on the TD-W9970 but no luck.

So now I have 3 non-HH5A devices, none of which will work. I think it's fair to say it's not a hardware problem. I don't think it's a problem with config either because others on the thread confirmed they have the same settings and it works. After I try connecting with a HG612 or the TD-W9970, it takes the HH5A between 10 and 20 minutes to resync.

This leads me to believe BT are doing something to muck up using non "approved" devices. Anyone else having problems or can confirm my theory on the devices? Shot in the dark but I'll ring BT tomorrow to try and get some answers.

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: BT Infinity will only connect with HH5
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »

No problem on Infinity with my TD-W9980

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »

The TP-Link TD-W9970 is a Broadcom based device, while the TD-W9980 has a Lantiq chipset, as does the HH5A.

What is your FTTC estimated speed, and what speed do you get with the HH5A?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »

I have recently reconnected my HG612 and after flashing/unlocking with the newer firmware it worked straight out of the cupboard.

Have you checked your cables?

chulann

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »

I get 30Mb down, 2Mb up with the HH5A (Though after messing around with a HG612/TD-W8870, it'll drop to 20Mb up, 192 Kb down at first). I don't think it's cables as the same ones work with the HH5A - but I have tried other ones just in case.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 07:41:29 PM »

I asked because I'd read that the Lantiq chipset might sometimes do better than Broadcom ones on really long lines to the cabinet, although I'm not sure exactly how long, I thought it was for even lower speeds than 30Mbps.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 10:20:44 AM »

Remember also ECI DSLAMS without the recent noise-protection logic can't perform as well as Huawei ones.
(Unless I've missed an announcement to the contrary.)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »

This leads me to believe BT are doing something to muck up using non "approved" devices. Anyone else having problems or can confirm my theory on the devices? Shot in the dark but I'll ring BT tomorrow to try and get some answers.
I don't think they are. Perhaps you could upload the connection log from one of the failing devices to see if there are any clues in it.

chulann

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »

So, I have a resolution. In a nutshell, it was BT's fault.

The service was getting worse and worse so I logged a fault 3 weeks ago. A week and a half ago, it went down completely (even on the HH5). Managed to get 2 OpenReach engineers out yesterday, who spent 3 or 4 hours trying to fix it. Having tested everything, their equipment said everything was OK and then gradually, nothing would connect. So then they swapped the DSLAM port I was on. Should take 15 minutes, but it took 2 hours (at which stage they had left).

However, the good news is that it came up on the HG612 last night at 40 Mb down, 10Mb up. In 3 hours, I transferred 7GB over it (equally split over upload and download) so I'm happy it's working. Tested this evening on the TD-W9970 and it synced within a minute. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 11:19:36 PM »

I'm pleased to know that the fault has finally been resolved.  :)

It would be interesting to know exactly what was the problem . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chulann

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 11:27:36 PM »

The Openreach engineers suggested the card was overloaded and suggested the "lift and shift". However, I was put on another port on the same card. I can only guess it was a dodgy port...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 12:23:28 AM »

Yes, a hardware malfunction on the line-card. In the broadest of terms.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything