Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Exchange upgrades  (Read 18574 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Exchange upgrades
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »

@roseway - many thanks.

Now ideally, I need to deprioritise Adsl2+ so it chooses ADSL2 if available. Isn't that the consensus?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »

Yes, somewhere in your modem's xDSL configuration you should find a page similar to this one: http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612_-_Basic#DSL_configuration . Just tick the boxes for the modulation types you want to enable.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2015, 01:32:29 PM »

> Let A & A do the work
said I.

So.
I tweeted my Andrews & Arnold (AAISP),
And @AAISP replied
> @Weaver we can move the lines to 21cn now but one off fee of £11 per line as we would be doing them outside our bulk upgrades. Shaun

So hopefully I'm going to be categorised as 21CN asap.

Anyone able to tell me what will be happening in Broadford and in A & A land?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »

Does that mean that in the Broadford exchange they now have old and new h/w side by side and the poor long-suffering engineers just move patch cables or jumpers over? Or something. :-)

Presumably Spaghetti-herding to begin with in the exchange.

Must be a nightmare trying to finally get rid of the old h/w?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »

I don't understand the comment about "bulk". Where is the bulk when there are loads of exchanges and you are only a small ISP?

I presume that I myself am 100% of the Broadford exchange bulk with my three lines. :-)

Seems a bit cheap at £11 if an engineer has to come out to the exchange?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »

'Bulk upgrades' are what our night-teams carry out. Carried out at night for minimum disruption. There may be more EU's on AAISP than your goodself, fed from Broadford ??? Conversely, that may just be a generic response trotted out without knowing the scale of the Exchange DSL consumption ???

Or ................ they may just be trying to make money out of you  ;) ;D ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »

@BlackSheep - god are you having to get up in the wee small hours then and take some cocoa down to the exchange? What a nightmare.

> Conversely, that may just be a generic response trotted out without knowing the scale of the Exchange DSL consumption

I suspect rules is rules and AA-Shaun is just reading out of the book of hundreds of very small charges.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »

Would it just be AAISP users or all users no matter what  ISP moved over at the same time when bulk moves are done?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 04:42:05 PM »

Good question and not one I can answer I'm afraid. I was on the Bulk Migration project for a good few months, after volunteering due to the high work-loads they were facing.

All we received was a list of usually 96 (no idea why 96 ??) circuits that had the circuit ID on it, it's current MDF mapping and the new MDF mapping that we were there to wire to. We never knew who the ISP was, as it didn't matter I suppose.

From a business-perspective. If the hierarchy are to throw a 2-man team into an Exchange and there's only 12 AA jobs to migrate, I'm sure they'd trawl through other ISP's requests and tag their bulk orders up at the same time ?.  :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »

I think BS hits it at the end there - the business perspective:

From an ISP perspective, being part of a "bulk order" implies they don't care exactly when an individual gets converted over, just that it happens soonish.

This lets Openreach do the planning with "economies of scale" in mind - to pool together a chunk of the bulk orders on one exchange, so they can put the right staff into place (especially the extra staff brought in, volunteering overtime). The exchanges chosen can be cycled over a period.

As Openreach can focus staff onto these orders, the cost per line is cheaper ... and can be passed on to the ISP. ISPs are then incentivised to move most people over through the bulk order ... which in turn helps Openreach plan teams of engineers better.

Ultimately, the bulk-order process is a win-win for Openreach, ISP and customer.

Otherwise the changeover order is specific, and needs to be performed by "regular" staff, following "equivalence" rules.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »

There's also that "FM2000 site (Max daily migration rate is 48 lines Per Day)" which presumably is the limit of how many can be done in one night for this exchange. Other exchanges in that spreadsheet had lower limits.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2015, 06:30:59 PM »

There's also that "FM2000 site (Max daily migration rate is 48 lines Per Day)" which presumably is the limit of how many can be done in one night for this exchange. Other exchanges in that spreadsheet had lower limits.

Interesting ....... as if you read above, I mention that we were totalling 96 (2x48) per 12hr night-shift. I always wondered why the unusual figure of 96 was expected ??

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2015, 03:17:48 AM »

I don't have a DLink DSL-320B-Z1 manual for some reason.

Available to download here

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »

The above manual shows that the default IPv4 address and login credentials of the DSL-320B-Z1 are 192.168.1.1 & admin/admin. On page 44 it shows that the modulation mode can be set as: Auto Sync-Up, ADSL2+, ADSL2, G.DMT, T1.413 and G.lite.

I suspect that your modems are set as the first in that list -- Auto Sync-Up. Once you have heard from A&A that your three lines have been migrated, then that will be the time to reconfigure the modems to ADSL2.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »

I've asked A&A to preconfigure three modems as ADSL2 only. (Fun with xmas post anticipated.)

Exchange work scheduled for 2 × lines on 2015-12-23 with the third line to be done the following day, so as not to bring all three down at the same time
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:50:08 PM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6