Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Routers with more ports  (Read 4378 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Routers with more ports
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:05:53 AM »

Are there any routers with more ports (and wireless) to avoid the need for a separate switch?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Routers with more ports
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »

Well yes there are, quite a few e.g. 8-port, but did you want one with a built-in ADSL modem as well? Never seen one of those.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 02:00:11 PM »

Isn't that rather like letting the tail wag the dog? (I'm sure you've thought this over, so I don't know what I'm talking about :-) )

Having the best router chosen on its own merits is what is important, flexibility good design, security and a strong firewall function (assuming it is a firewall), and good gigabit switches and wireless access points cost peanuts these days.

If it is a modem/router getting the modem but right or having a separate modem is absolutely crucial, because as you know crap modem means slowness and/or unreliability and general nightmare.

But again, you know all this. If you'd like to save some money, eBay is your friend, and minimising the total number of boxes (modem + router + firewall + WAP + LAN switch) is not the way to make it easy to find the best in all departments.

Others reading this might not know all the basics. So no insult to your intelligence meant.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »

@Weaver

Well said.

Although Jelv did say he wanted to avoid a separate switch.  :)

Like you I would prefer to have multiple boxes that are good at their specific function but that is a personal choice for everyone.
(I know there is the 'Significant other' factor re: Tidy boxes of minimal number, preferably invisible with invisible wires.  :D :D ;) )

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »

Re the significant other factor. I myself really don't like miles of spaghetti, and it afflicts me like you wouldn't believe, but it's surprising what you can do. A small ventilated cupboard can go pretty much anywhere, and the flexibility of positioning which WAPs offer can mean they can be made  more out of sight as well as more positioned more effectively. Having a switch located in the right place also reduces the total mileage of spaghetti because of the flexibility it gives you, so there are often opportunities for tidying junk up that might not be immediately obvious. Some kit can be wall-mounted, one client of mine had an under-desk wire equipment cage which made al lot of hardware disappear (can't remember where she obtained it from unfortunately).

I have asked my extremely significant other for some help with web shopping, looking for some tidy-up helper kit. eBay might be a good start.

mjgr33n

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »

Are there any routers with more ports (and wireless) to avoid the need for a separate switch?

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/19143-cisco-smb-rv325-k9-g5/ - 14 ports but no wireless.

DrayTek Vigor 2860 series of routers have 6 ports, VDSL/ADSL modem in and wireless options, DrayTek Vigor 2925ac similar but no modem in.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »

Re the significant other factor. I myself really don't like miles of spaghetti, and it afflicts me like you wouldn't believe, but it's surprising what you can do.
Nobody 'likes' spaghetti wiring but at some point 'X' devices need 'X' cables at least.

I have been asked the question "why do you need all those cables ?"
or better yet "Can you not connect them all to the same cable, so just one cable runs around ?"

This is the future IEEE 'Everything' Cable standard that is just one cable with a 1001 pins including a wide selection of data/power pins at all possible voltages + Optical + gas + water ...... just waiting for the cable connectors to be designed & Industry to catch up. Any day now!! ;D ::)

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »

you can buy 4 in one ethernet cables (4 gigabit capable cat5e cables in a single sheath), insanely expensive though. they're called tactical cables and are generally used at rock gigs and similar.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »

you can buy 4 in one ethernet cables (4 gigabit capable cat5e cables in a single sheath), insanely expensive though. they're called tactical cables and are generally used at rock gigs and similar.
I have never seen those. Interesting.
Do you know if the cable can be bought without connectors on the ends ?
(Makes physically routing the cable easier.  ;D )

Are the multiple ends for redundancy to cover possible damage or intended for simultaneous use ?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »

I have never seen those. Interesting.
Do you know if the cable can be bought without connectors on the ends ?
(Makes physically routing the cable easier.  ;D )

http://store.haveinc.com/p-61183-lake-cable-avb4tcat5e-4-channel-24awg-tactical-cat5e-cable.aspx

http://store.haveinc.com/c-2864-cat5e-multichannel-rj45.aspx (not all are rj45, some are ethercon)

Are the multiple ends for redundancy to cover possible damage or intended for simultaneous use ?

I'd imagine that's the choice of the installing engineer. Could be used either way.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »

How many ports do you need?

My Zyxel has 4 LAN ports and the ability to easily turn the WAN port into a 5th LAN port.

I dont think Ive ever seen a combined modem router with more than 5.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mjgr33n

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »

How many ports do you need?

My Zyxel has 4 LAN ports and the ability to easily turn the WAN port into a 5th LAN port.

I dont think Ive ever seen a combined modem router with more than 5.

Of course you have, the DrayTek Vigor 2860 series has 6 and mentioned above :)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 10:17:52 PM »

@loonylion,
Thanks, understand the use of it now, particularly with EtherCON connectors.
Good stuff, looks like a very durable system.

Just the sort of stuff you could use in Customers Computer labs and the like where the cabling is being rearranged all the time.
At home, just need some kit that can use EtherCON and the money to afford it.  ;D <jk>

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »

I'm specifically thinking of a router without a modem as I'm happy to leave the HG612 in place. It's my TG582 that needs replacing so if I could reduce the box count at the same time, so much the better.

Looking at Draytek - 2925 series only gives me one extra port.

LAN ports required
- monitoring for HG612
- desktop
- NAS
- homeplug to TV/DVR other desktops
- spare port for connecting a laptop wired when needed
- printer

There's also a probability that I may run a cable for one of the other desktops (homeplugs I have are 200mbps)
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »

I'm specifically thinking of a router without a modem as I'm happy to leave the HG612 in place.
Thanks for clarifying, lots of speculation preceded that...............

As I said earlier, loads of 8-port routers with wireless, e.g D-Link DSR-250N. I just used Google and searched for "wireless 8 port gigabit router". Though you do have to filter off the 4-port and 5-port units mixed in the responses.
And as noted above (though news to me  :-[ ) there's a single-box solution with 6 LAN ports.
Pages: [1] 2