Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: another one goes  (Read 2919 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
another one goes
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

Quote from a news item on the "other side" webbie.

Redten Communications, the internet service provider (ISP) that offered customers a free notebook PC, appears to have ceased trading.

One reader wrote in to say he had received notification from BT Wholesale on Monday afternoon advising him that it has stopped providing a service to Redten. The ISP used BT Wholesale ADSL lines to provide broadband services to its customers.

We contacted BT for verification and it told us in a statement that it "can confirm that Redten Ltd's service has been terminated as a result of its failure to meet its financial commitments with one of BT Wholesale Broadband's customers (BT Wholesale White Label Managed Services).

"Redten customers are being automatically redirected to a web page informing them of the termination. The web page also allows them to generate a migration authorisation code (MAC) instantly (they simply click on a button to obtain their MAC there and then) so that they can then give this to the new ISP of their choice."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: another one goes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »

I like the instant MAC code facility. It looks as though BT are doing the right things.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:43:27 PM »

Ahh Redten, the ISP that offered the free PC..   Unfortunately many said that it wasnt sustainable at that price (nor the "unlimited" broadband).
Its a sad fact of life that adsl does cost the ISPs to provide, and economics dictates that that if the ISP offers it too cheap then the service is either going to be crud or the ISP is going to have a tough time . 
Its sad to see yet another ISP go bust, and not good news for their customers...  but  if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is *

Like roseway says it good to see that customers are able to get their MACs - unlike many that have fallen before them.
What I do find strange is that the website is still up and appearing to still take on new signups.

*unless like CPW or sky - they have income from another source which will be offsetting the broadband costs.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:19:07 PM »

Its sad when you see ISP's like this pop up offering you something that they just can't deliver. At least BT are giving customers a way out with the MAC code system, but what I happens with your contract if you signed up? Payment's are made to a finance company and if you stop paying them (as they are not providing you with the service) do you get a black mark on your credit file.

All very worrying issues that would make me recommend people have a good long thing about offers that seam to good to be true.
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 07:02:18 PM »

At least BT are giving customers a way out with the MAC code system

They don't have a choice in the matter.

Ofcom had enough of resellers going bust with all the Netservices nonsense and instructed "white label" wholesalers to ensure end-users weren't left high and dry when this happened again - and not the way Netservices used to do it either!

Personally I think Ofcom just got sick of all the complaints they got from end-users connected to Netservices vISPs - dealing directly with end-users isn't something Ofcom likes doing :D

anything