Announcements > News Articles

Fast Broadband USO

(1/3) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
According to the Beeb, Mr Cameron is gunning for a fast broadband Universal Service Obligation...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34753331

Fast is defined, it seems, as 10Mbps.   Details to follow next week, will be interesting to see.

UncleUB:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on November 07, 2015, 09:42:38 AM ---According to the Beeb, Mr Cameron is gunning for a fast broadband Universal Service Obligation...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34753331

Fast is defined, it seems, as 10Mbps.   Details to follow next week, will be interesting to see.

--- End quote ---

In my world 10Mbps Is fast  :-X ...But there is light (or should I say fibre)at the end of the tunnel. BT are finally (with government and council money) enabling my exchange for FTTC.It should be completed sometime between Jan and March 2016.
I did briefly get FTTC via South Yorkshire Digital Region but when the plug was pulled on that in August 2014 I had to go back to ADSL and around 2Mbps download speeds.

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: UncleUB on November 07, 2015, 10:40:45 AM --- ...But there is light (or should I say fibre)at the end of the tunnel. BT are finally (with government and council money) enabling my exchange for FTTC.It should be completed sometime between Jan and March 2016.

--- End quote ---

@Uncle, given these dates, just thought I'd mention...my FTTC was also funded by local authority.   But it was available many months before the predicted date.  Even weeks after my own line was up and running, they were still spreading the news that our village could have it in a few months time.

Well worth keeping an eye out for the new cabs  becoming ready.   But then I bet you already are.   :D

sorc:
In my own village, the cabinet I was on was the first and only to be upgraded for a year or two, before they came back and did some more. Then they came back again and installed 21CN equipment for ADSL2+, for whatever reason, despite almost everyone being able to get FTTC or FTTP.

As Guinness said, "good things come to those who wait", because some of the village won the "BT technology lottery" and got FTTP, whereas my line and some others are FTTC. Until the Openreach coverage checker started talking about cabinets rather than exchanges, it proudly said that the area has fibre

Weaver:
How did they win the FTTP lottery? (Answer sheer good luck?) prob a stupid question. :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version