Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adrian Kennard's Blog Postings & Petition  (Read 6083 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Adrian Kennard's Blog Postings & Petition
« on: November 05, 2015, 12:05:54 AM »

I will occasionally read the blog postings of Adrian Kennard and feel that some of his more recent postings deserve to be highlighted here --

Government still think there are "communication providers"
Draft Investigatory Powers Bill
Not a Licence to Kill, thank you Lord West of Spithead
Working with ISPs

He has also found the time to start a petition -- "Government to abandon all ideas of trying to ban strong encryption."
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Adrian Kennard's Blog Postings & Petition
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:16:56 AM »

signed the petition, hope they take note of it and his comments.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 01:03:36 AM »

Will sign the petition as it makes sense.
Unfortunately, I believe this gov't will ignore all calls to revise their actions re: national security, as they see it.
This is about planting the seeds for future Bills & keeping our security services happy.
This is in line with previous tory govts actions to keep the police happy.
As the police are now not their greatest fans, they need to have some national security related org willing to do their bidding.
It is simple to put into action vague laws that are generic enough to cover other activities of our security services.
You do not believe that the collected information will NOT be accessed by said agencies when THEY want rather than according to the so called rules.
Covert action is their domain after all !!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 11:15:12 PM »

I took a break from his blog as for a while it was just about the man cave :p

will check those posts thanks.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:26:18 PM »

I've signed RevK's petition. Can now only pray that someone with some common sense and some clout takes some notice.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 11:30:29 PM »

Another leftist nut  ::)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 06:58:46 AM »

Who are you referring to?
  Eric

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »

@roseway
I thought it was a well articulated and reasoned response from someone with a rightward leaning.
Much like most such responses.
This you obviously missed.  ;D  ::)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:33:12 PM by AArdvark »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 12:34:59 PM »

I think Eric may have been referring to the comment about leftist nut, or maybe I am putting words in his mouth  ;)

As to the petition I am confused, the title implies that RevK supports banning strong encryption which in my view is neither practical or desirable and I feel that if this is not what RevK supports the petition title should be changed to make it clear.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »

I think Eric may have been referring to the comment about leftist nut, or maybe I am putting words in his mouth  ;)

As to the petition I am confused, the title implies that RevK supports banning strong encryption which in my view is neither practical or desirable and I feel that if this is not what RevK supports the petition title should be changed to make it clear.

Stuart
So was I !!  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 01:03:25 PM »

As to the petition I am confused...

I see what you mean Stuart. The petition title can be read either way, but the petition itself makes it clear that RevK is strongly opposing the proposed ban. It's to be hoped that people thinking of signing will read the petition first.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 02:26:03 PM »

As to the petition I am confused...

I see what you mean Stuart. The petition title can be read either way, but the petition itself makes it clear that RevK is strongly opposing the proposed ban. It's to be hoped that people thinking of signing will read the petition first.

Yes I agree but I'm sure that some folks will read the title and not sign.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 12:51:19 AM »

@roseway
I thought it was a well articulated and reasoned response from someone with a rightward leaning.
Much like most such responses.
This you obviously missed.  ;D  ::)

I see what you did there. ;)

----
I agree that the petition title is a bit confusing.  :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »

The web site browsing  logging ( which could be more intrusive than just which web page visited) http://www.revk.uk/2015/11/gagging-retention-orders.html
Isn't the only change that this bunch of brain dead, power hungry lunatics AKA conservatives seek to implement ,in order to further  infringe /erode our civil liberties/freedoms /privacy under the guise of anti terrorism , a word used each time they seek to deny us our rights, and keep the sheeple scared , do these lunatics not realise that if their ill thought out plans succeed those terrorists actually win without doing anything?

And if they are really so concerned about terrorists attacking us, them perhaps they should keep their nanny state noses out of foreign affairs  and stop trying play world policemen, or distributing trying to implement (without success) more fakery  that they call democracy

A bit deeper that what the topic title, but imo it's all connected in a joined up thinking world,
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:00:02 PM by tommy45 »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »

The web site browsing  logging ( which could be more intrusive than just which web page visited) http://www.revk.uk/2015/11/gagging-retention-orders.html
Isn't the only change that this bunch of brain dead, power hungry lunatics AKA conservatives seek to implement ,in order to further  infringe /erode our civil liberties/freedoms /privacy under the guise of anti terrorism , a word used each time they seek to deny us our rights, and keep the sheeple scared , do these lunatics not realise that if their ill thought out plans succeed those terrorists actually win without doing anything?

Good point and the 'Real' point to opposition to these plans. We create the thing that the Terrorists are already preaching exists. We give them ammunition and fulfill their dreams for them.

Quote from: tommy45
And if they are really so concerned about terrorists attacking us, them perhaps they should keep their nanny state noses out of foreign affairs  and stop trying play world policemen, or distributing trying to implement (without success) more fakery  that they call democracy

The 'World Policeman' point is further complicated by the simultaneous running down of our Forces while asking them to do more and more.
The UK has a history of 'Policing' the world and the old habits die hard.
We want to play with the 'Big Boys' but at the same time cannot afford it, both financially or in terms of consequences.
Syria is a perfect example of how our being pulled in two directions has left us officially 'out of the fight' but so desperately wanting to be in.
The Tories need to decide where they stand and be honest with the country regarding costs if they want to fight with the 'Big Boys'. Underhand actions like using British pilots on US planes is not honest or a long term solution.
Maybe the 'question' needs to be asked again then the answer will be clear and unambiguous either way.
Whether the UK can afford to be a 'World Policeman' is a very important question which is not being dealt with.
The world has changed and our relationships have changed as well.
Are we living in the past or letting the side down is the question which is being fudged because the answer may have an impact on the re-election prospects of the Tories.
This shows the Politicians in their true colours, where future positions and fame/fortune is the *only* question of any import to them.
Where are the Politicians with honesty and integrity who fight for principles and not future board positions when they leave Politics. ?
These questions are for all parties and should decide who you the voter want to support.
Anyone so busy feathering their own nest sure is not going to be working for your interest or mine, yet we just sit there and ignore it or don't care. !!   

Quote from: tommy45
A bit deeper that what the topic title, but imo it's all connected in a joined up thinking world,

BTW:
Be careful we are in danger of forming a 'leftist Nut Cluster' !!  :D :D :D

[Moderator edited to fix the broken quotations.]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:16:31 PM by burakkucat »
Pages: [1] 2

anything