Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firefox 2  (Read 7528 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Firefox 2
« on: September 29, 2006, 09:38:11 PM »

As a long term sceptic about Firefox, having uninstalled almost every version since it was a little Phoenix, I am surprised to see that V2 Beta 2 is almost useable.  Have been using it since Weds and quite like it.

Just opened SlimBrowser to post this and I now realise just how slow Firefox is.   :no:.

Never mind we shall persevere.  Perhaps FF is more suited to XP.

Anybody else find it sluggish, slow to load, slothful interface and loads pages when it can be bothered?

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Firefox 2
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 07:44:14 AM »

Browsers are (surprisingly) rather personal things. One man's meat etc. There are plenty of people who rave about Opera, but I think it's awful. I've tried all the main contenders quite extensively, and for me FF stands head and shoulders above the rest for speed and effectiveness.

Mind you, I'm talking about FF in Linux, not Windows. Maybe it is sluggish in Windows, although it surely can't be as sluggish as IE. There is an optimised (for speed) version of FF (the name escapes me at present) which I have used, and it certainly has a lighter, nippier feel, but I've never felt constrained by FF so I stick with that.

Eric
  Eric

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 06:22:22 PM »

My version is a 3rd party build by Stipe, whose work is renowned for being fast but stable.

Perhaps it's a Win98 thing.  Using SlimBrowser at present, much faster that Firefox, but it's an IE Shell with all that that implies.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 06:57:08 PM »

The speeded-up version of FF that I was referring to is SwiftFox, but it's Linux only.

Eric
  Eric

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 07:23:39 PM »

Had a play with Opera 9.02.  Bit quicker than firefox but a horribly cluttered interface; the tab bar sits above the toolbar(s) and can be quite difficult to spot.  Nothing much can be moved around, I like the address bar level with the main menu, then the toolbar below & the tab bar below the tool bar.  In Opera this just ain't possible  :no:.

Sticking with SlimBrowser + Firefox for a while.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 07:56:59 PM »

All change (once again) Firefox has gone, SlimBrowser has gone, back to using Avant (IE shell) and Orca (Avant features but based on Gecko).  Orca is very fast, so why are other Gecko browsers so slow?  Orca RC3 is based on a rather old version of Gecko, we await the updated version, coming real soon now.

Tried the lastest version of K-Ninja (a slimmed down version of K-Meleon, which is a slimmed down version of Firefox (still with me at the back?)) but version 2.04, the latest, simply dies with an illegal operation error as soon as it loads.

What fun it all is.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 11:54:25 PM »

Had a play with Opera 9.02.  Bit quicker than firefox but a horribly cluttered interface; the tab bar sits above the toolbar(s) and can be quite difficult to spot.  Nothing much can be moved around, I like the address bar level with the main menu, then the toolbar below & the tab bar below the tool bar.  In Opera this just ain't possible

From what little I have used of IE7 so far, i get the same feeling. The toolbars (even when un"locked") just can't be moved into the order you want them!

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 08:47:21 PM »

Just to confuse everybody I am now using FFox 2 Final, as well as Avant /Orca.  Not bad, seems a little more speedy than the Betas.

Will give it a few days then no doubt it will be all change again.

Just got back from a few days in Northumberland, what a lovely area.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 08:59:52 PM »

Yes it has all changed again (my Mother said I would never hang myself  ;). )

Firefox has gone for ever, never to darken my doorstep again.  Replaced by K-Meleon, much faster, based on Seamonkey (where do they get these names?).  Much less to go wrong.

Avant 11 was very nice and stable, but getting a little bloated and slow, back to SlimBrowser again

Also playing with OffbyOne, very, very strange, only for the totally foolhardy.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 07:54:56 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I switched ot Opera...
Been pretty impressed with it so far - although I must admit I havent really been around the past week or so to give it a good workout yet.  But so far so good.. and not at all like the last time I tried it.

Im using IE atm though - and its annoying the hell out of me right now -

Ive just got the lappy back and theyve changed a load of my settings and its doing weird things. :/
I havent got around to putting Opera back on properly
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 08:42:13 PM »

Trying Opera again, very nice black theme, but little else to make me want to keep it.  Default browser in now K-Meleon, but at the moment I'm using SeaMonkey (!?).  Both are Faster then Firefox even with FasterFox installed in Firefox.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 09:53:57 PM »

Just got shot of Opera, very messy uninstall, lots of dregs left lying around, I fear that SeaMonkey will be next, it has a very LARGE interface.