Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: EO lines and FTTC  (Read 4980 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
EO lines and FTTC
« on: November 01, 2015, 01:05:55 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, have any users originally on EO lines ever been upgraded to FTTC somehow?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: EO lines and FTTC
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:23:48 AM »

Yes, by installing a new cabinet close to the exchange, and connecting the originally EO lines to that.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 10:10:07 AM »

As Eric points out above, a Cab is positioned just outside the Exchange and usually right next to what is termed the Exchange Manhole (Large underground box where all the cables converge). From here, they can very easily cut, joint and re-feed the new cable lengths into the new Cab.

Up till now, I've only ever seen the scenario whereby the sister FTTC Cab is also a stand-alone unit, but there are combined Cab/FTTC units making their way to market as we speak.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »

Please excuse me if I'm missing something important here. I don't understand how this works.

The length of copper isn't really reduced much, so how do you get VDSL-type speeds?

Also, why not just park the additional hardware inside the exchange if you're going to have the new cab right outside?

:-)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »

You get better speeds because you're using VDSL2 instead of ADSL.

There are rules preventing putting the equipment in the exchange.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »

Please excuse me if I'm missing something important here. I don't understand how this works.

The length of copper isn't really reduced much, so how do you get VDSL-type speeds?

Also, why not just park the additional hardware inside the exchange if you're going to have the new cab right outside?

:-)

VDSL has a lot more tones over a much wider spectrum. ADSL2+ uses 2.2Mhz of bandwidth on the line, VDSL2 uses 17Mhz.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »

In the normal case then, non-EO line, with a cab in the usual spot, the length of copper between the cab and the user is a lot less than the total distance between user and exchange, but in the case where the cab is right by the exchange you don't get this length reduction of cab-to-user. So is it fair to say that this type of design, cab next door to exchange, is always going to be a bit rubbish compared with the normal cab location?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:23:28 PM by Weaver »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »

The only reason it is shorter is because a house connected to a normal cab is further from the exchange. EO lines by their nature serve houses that are close to the exchange, i.e the same distance to the exchange as others are to their local cab.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »

EO lines are not always short, they can serve properties which are too far from the exchange for VDSL to work, unless of course the cabinet installed closer to the EU. Which I suppose is possible, just depends how the lines are routed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 11:06:03 AM »

Indeed, I have a 4.6 mile long EO line, mine is the shortest in the village. Into the Broadford exchange. I know other users with lines longer even than that, and all EO lines.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:42:52 AM by Weaver »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »

Absolutely ....... there's one patch (Bolton-By-Bowland) that has a totally EO service, some premises (mainly farms) are 12/13Km away from the Exchange.

Caveat: It's been 3-4yrs since I worked there so things may have changed ?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »

Excuse my ignorance, have any users originally on EO lines ever been upgraded to FTTC somehow?

User 'Weaver' has blocked your personal message.  :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »

Some members prefer not to receive PMs (or only from buddies). It's a profile option and I don't expect it's personal.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 01:53:33 PM »

Some members prefer not to receive PMs (or only from buddies). It's a profile option and I don't expect it's personal.
Ok.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »

I didn't realise it was set like that, it's a thing in settings, now should be fixed.
Pages: [1] 2