Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Using PC keyboard with Mac  (Read 5384 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Using PC keyboard with Mac
« on: October 31, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »

Probably not that many Mac users on these forums so I may get no replies, but I'll ask anyway... how well does a PC keyboard work with Mac?

Better half has pretty much decided to switch (from XP) to a Mac Mini for her home desktop.  I already have an older Mac Mini and she likes pretty much everything about.   But she really just doesn't like the Apple keyboard which I purchased with mine and that's fair enough, it's definitely an acquired taste.  Six years on I'm not entirely sure I've ever totally acquired the taste myself either if I'm honest an honest, I keep telling myself... I paid extra for it and so I will like it:D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Using PC keyboard with Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 10:28:20 AM »

I know nothing about Macs, so this is probably a daft question, but can't you just try it on your Mac?
  Eric

Dray

• Kitizen

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »

I know it will work, that's not in question, I did say 'how well does it work'.  But to clarify, it's more the usability, whether anybody has ever been through that loop and grown to like or dislike the setup.

Some of the key legends are different for example, the Apple keyboard has a 'Command' key that is referred to as such, and you need to mentally map that to the 'windows' key.  That would bug me, but I'm easily bugged.    :D

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »

The link I posted mentioned this http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »

The link I posted mentioned this http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

Thanks & Apols, I'd missed that in the first link.   It sounds useful but TBH, the fact that some people evidently feel the need for such things actually puts me off a bit, and so maybe answers my question.  If the PC keyboard is likely to be too much of a nuisance then rather than add extra software for mapping keys, I'd personally just try and adapt to a genuine Apple keyboard.  When in Rome, do as the Romans. 

She can of course try the Windows K/B  for herself initially, wait and see if it's too awkward.  But Apple keyboards are not cheap (surprise, surprise) so worth being aware that it may well crop up as unforeseen extra cost further down the line.   :(

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 12:29:43 PM »

Logitech do Apple specific keyboards. I use the K750 personally with my Mac Pro and find it works well. It is solar powered, so no need for a trailing cable or rechargeable batteries.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 12:49:37 PM »

Logitech do Apple specific keyboards. I use the K750 personally with my Mac Pro and find it works well. It is solar powered, so no need for a trailing cable or rechargeable batteries.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac

Nice, especially being wireless.

Mine's a genuine Apple unit, but wired.   And the cable, like lighting cables, is ever so thin and unobtrusive.   And like lighting cables I soon found, easily damaged.   I managed to somehow tear mine when quite new.  It has been patched together with a soldered join and insulating tape ever since, there being no way of dismantling it to properly attach a new cable. >:(

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »

I agree that Apple cables can be troublesome, particularly those used frequently such as for charging. I find the connectors are too small to get a good grip and you end up tugging the cable. I managed to patch up an iPad cable that had split at the connector with a spot of super glue, it held the outer sheath rigid enough to make a good connection internally. The new USB-C connectors are quite awkward too as they are very stiff to insert/withdraw from the port.

Just noticed I posted a link to Logitech Canada! I think that keyboard may now be withdrawn in the UK, but there appears to be a newer model, the K760.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.