Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Immigrants  (Read 6037 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Immigrants
« on: March 12, 2008, 06:25:33 AM »

Did anyone see the BBC2 about immigrant living in the Peterborough area last night.What made my blood boil was when the reporter talked to the british no-marks stood on street corners swigging lager,he asked if the wanted a job picking veg for £7 an hour working along side the poles.The replies,I,m not working wi no foreigners,nah,I,d rather 'sign on'
Why,Why,Why,aren,t these idle scroungers made to work?

Also yesterday,failed asylum were given train tickets and told to make their own way to the detention centre,and guess what,did they,I,ll let you draw your own conclusions on that one  :no:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:47:34 AM »

Now let me think, what was his name ?

Enoch Powell and his forecasts have happened.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:55:54 AM »

Go easy, guys.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:18:07 AM »

Go easy, guys.

Someone must have said that to this government.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »

Has the penny finally dropped,it did for millions of us years ago. :no:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7322825.stm

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »

One thing that gets me is pandering to the immigrants... like in the towns where they have got a high Polish population and are considering to put up dual-language road signs in English & Polish... we didn't need to do that in the 60's and 70's when we had the massive influx of Asian immigrants.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a mix of cultures, but hey, when in Rome, do as  the Romans.

[/rant]
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 11:29:11 AM »

Countries abroad have some multi-language road signs, apart from the visual signs ie  Give Way, Stop, No Entry - which are universal ....through France, Spain, Italy, Portugal,  Switzerland  etc  there are multi-lingual  warnings signs for  'braking' etc....  possibly more to do with the amount of foreign lorries on European roads now .....  I don't think there were many Asian lorries in the 60's / 70's   ... or now for that matter. 

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 11:35:04 AM »

Well that would be understandable in countries such as Switzerland where there are several major languages shoulder-to-shoulder.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:58:47 AM »

I find that travelling through continental Europe MOST people are able to speak several languages, for example .. the Swiss  speak French,  German and Italian ...the Italians speak  Italian, German and French, the Spanish speak French and English, the French speak Spanish, Italian etc  etc......my point was that due to the influx of  heavy goods  transport, lorry drivers benefit  from these road signs.     There are  road signs here in English, also  in Spain, Italy,  etc.etc.....  I was looking at it from the 'safety' aspect;   perhaps the powers that be are as well. 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »

Foreign lorry drivers are a nightmare on british roads,the accidents caused by them is alarming.And when they get prosecuted they go home and don't come back to face the courts.  >:(

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »

But to be fair it is hard for people to move country and make a living. To be honest I should know it just seems almost everything you can do comes down to race and partially where you live, I mean like most people stereotype black youths like me a straight up trouble but to be honest about every other black person I know is in College or University so this really is taking the biscuit.

the reporter talked to the British no-marks stood on street corners swigging lager,he asked if the wanted a job picking veg for £7 an hour working along side the poles.The replies,I'm not working with no foreigners, nah, I'd rather 'sign on'
If you asked a boy my age from London to pick vegetables for £7 an hour they would take it without a thought, Not for the money, but because it would give them a reason to be off the streets and making a living

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 03:51:26 PM »

I know where your coming from broadband1 and yes to an extent people do look at black young people as though they are all gun totting gangsters.But when you see the amount of gun crime involving black youths then the british public only see one thing.
But getting back to immigration you must ak the question,why do so-called asylum seekers from Africa,the far east etc cross many borders to come here when they could be perfectly safe crossing one border.........Because we are a soft touch an word gets back to these countries that it is easy here.You get housing,you get money,you don't have to anything,except play the good old 'Human Rights' card.
No I'm not a racist but when I think about how my country is going it makes my heart bleed,to think how our parents/grand parents struggled all their lives to make ends meet and got virtually nothing out of the system,yet  people come here from all over the world and milk it dry, well no wonder people are fed up.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:03:30 PM by UncleUB »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 03:56:50 PM »

Foreign lorry drivers are a nightmare on british roads,the accidents caused by them is alarming.And when they get prosecuted they go home and don't come back to face the courts.

Do you have figures to substantiate this claim? Do British lorry drivers never have accidents abroad? If there is any difference in the accident rates it is more likely to be because our roads are far busier than roads in mainland Europe, IMO.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:07:58 PM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »

We are immigrants here in France, granted we didn't come here and have to work.  We don't claim any benefits; we are in the French Health system which we pay into; so we are not a "drain" on the  French economy , quite the opposite in fact  ;D   However,  when I read/ listen to  the UK  'tabloid media'  I do cringe when I hear everyone who is "different" either by colour, creed or language bundled into one 'generalisation'  - foreign.    There are many immigrants from the UK all over Europe, and believe me SOME of them do not make me proud to be British !!  They don't integrate, they can't / don't want to  speak the language, they  colonise, they have their own food shops etc. etc.....    and I  would OBJECT STRONGLY  to  being 'bundled' together with these people.   Every individual person has different circumstances, aspirations; many like Broadband1 are keen to make the best of themselves; others are perhaps not,  but sadly it is only the negative perspective that is brought to peoples attention in the media. 

PS    I see lots of British drivers on the roads here, both in cars and lorries, if I get behind one I keep my distance or overtake.....  I've seen more than one on the wrong side of the road and a few hairy moments at roundabouts  !!!!! :)     I support your comments Astral that the road conditions in the UK is more likely to do with the accident rate than foreign drivers ..... the roads are saturated over there .....  on a recent visit I was terrified;  it might be an idea to  re- educate the drivers  who insist on hogging the middle lane of the motorway  !!!!!!    and the thought of using the 'hard shoulder' of some motorways when traffic is busier   :o :o :o

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:25:21 PM by scottiesmum »
Pages: [1] 2

anything