Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Test socket produces faster speed...  (Read 8368 times)

Al Gunning

• Just arrived
Test socket produces faster speed...
« on: March 11, 2008, 11:39:20 PM »

Hello!

i've just migrated from virgin (adsl) where i was getting 640kbps speed (up to 8mbs).

I'm now with BT, and am on the 8th day after connection.
Downstream    2,656 Kbps
Upstream    448 Kbps

getting about 1950kbps  speeds

ip profile is set to 2000kbps
and also 500kbps (for vision)

I'm delighted with my speed since being with virgin for 8months (they let me end my contract for free after originally looking for £160 to buy it out).
but when i tested plugging straight into the test socket, my speed shot up to 3500ish kbps and my downloading was around 3000. (my ip profile was raised to 3k).
I then plugged back into the master socket as normal and my speeds continued to stay the same until a few hours when my ip profile was clipped back down to 2k.

it's a brand new house, and i've done the bell wire trick...  what do i need to do to get nearer to the test socket speeds???

help muchly appreciated  ;)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Test socket produces faster speed...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »

Hi Al and welcome to the forum.

You don't say whether you have extensions wired from your master socket but as it is a new house I'll assume that this is the case. I live in a newish property and the extension wiring picks up a lot of mains hum so I've run a surface extension from the master socket to my router and I get the full 8meg(I'm within spitting distance of the exchange).

It would probably be a good idea to wait until your line has finished its "training" period to see what it settles down to and then try the master socket trick again to see if there is any improvement.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:01:42 AM »

If your happy to locate your ADSL router at the master socket, think about purchasing an NTE5 ADSL faceplate.

This simply replaces your existing master socket front plate (which you remove to get to the test socket).

The advantage of this is that the ADSL signal is isolated at this point, and any extension wiring is filtered, so your ADSL signal does not roam all your extension wiring where it picks up noise and interference which causes a drop in performance such as you are experiencing.

A number of online retailers sell ADSL front plates, for example Solwise sell one based on the BT design.

As Astral says, do you have any extensions?

If the answer is no, then you should find no performance difference between the test socket and the front of the master socket.  If the answer is yes, take another look at Kitz's Low SNR page.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:15 AM »

if you go for the above mentioned face plate then this should take your internal wiring out of the equation in relation to performance issues on your broadband.

It dosn;t matter wether it's old wiring or brand new, it's an antennea which can potentialy pick up some interference which broadband may overhear. The bell wire is usually the first culpit on it's own, but by no means the overwhelming one, the other 2 wires can do the same (hence the face plate)

Openreach broadband engineers can carry data extention kits which come in 5,10,30m lenghts (sounds a lot but a properly fitted cable over door frames, round skirting boards eats this up) one end plugs into the dsl output, the other end has a dedicated socket for broadband) in case the master socket with the full face plate is not where the modem/router needs to be sited. Although fitting this WILL cost you.

Otherwise you can get longer cables to run from either from a microfilter or the filtered face plate from any computer wear shop, belkin do some nice ones with a strong outer sheath. although the longer the cable the better emf reception as an antennea, Will it put you back to square one, perhaps it will, unfortunately only one way to find out. to try it practicaly 

Al Gunning

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »

excellent, cheers for all the replies.

yes, there are several extension sockets around the house. I'm happy for the homehub to stay beside the mastersocket - i'm wireless connecting to my iMac.

so i'm going to purchase a adsl faceplate, will let you know if it's successful

cheers again
Al

londoner

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »

I have the same problem as Al.   However next week I am upgrading to BT Infinity fibre optic broadband.   You get a new hub which is connected to a fibre optic modem which will connect to the master socket.  My understanding is the engineer will upgrade or change the master socket in some way.  Is it worth buying an ADSL faceplate?  Does anyone know?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »

I have the same problem as Al.   However next week I am upgrading to BT Infinity fibre optic broadband.   You get a new hub which is connected to a fibre optic modem which will connect to the master socket.  My understanding is the engineer will upgrade or change the master socket in some way.  Is it worth buying an ADSL faceplate?  Does anyone know?

Absolutely not !! The VDSL intermediate plate acts exactly like an ADSL faceplate. Ergo, wait until the engineering visit mate.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »

The black cat seconds the Black Sheep's response and also adds the comment to please tell us how your new service installation proceeded, once it has taken place.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

londoner

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »

Thanks.
There is another problem.

I am not the BT account holder.  My mother is.  I am authorised to discuss the account.  My mother has moved into a nursing home and all royal mail addressed to her is being redirected to her.   BT sends out the new hub/router either by Royal Mail or Parcelforce.   Everything has been computerised and I have been told the package will have my mother's name on it because she is the account holder.  So I am concerned that if the package is sent by royal mail it will be redirected.  I have phoned BT.  They said they would add to the package the words "To be delivered to Mr John my surname."   This may stop the redirection, but when I phoned royal mail they were not sure one way or the other.  I have asked BT if the package can be sent by Parcelforce, which is now independent of royal mail, so there will be no redirection.  But BT said a computer decides if the package is to be sent by royal mail or parcelforce.  So I am a bit concerned that the router will end up at my mother's nursing home.  Any ideas?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »

Perhaps contact the Administrator at the Nursing Home? Sorry but I have no better suggestion.  :-\

londoner

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »

@burakkucat

Well the hub came here after all, and the engineer arrived on time and set it all up.

I get about 22 megabytes/sec downstream which seems okay.  I have a package that says "Up to 80 megabytes/sec",   but I suppose this reduction in speed is not unusual.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 02:48:21 AM »

Well the hub came here after all, and the engineer arrived on time and set it all up.

Double success!  :clap2:

I get about 22 megabytes/sec downstream which seems okay.  I have a package that says "Up to 80 megabytes/sec",   but I suppose this reduction in speed is not unusual.

:hmm:  Hmm . . . methinks you need to recheck your units.  ;)

I suggest that you are currently receiving 22 Megabits per second (22 Mbps) DS and that you are on the Infinity 2 product which is marketed as "Up to 80 Megabits/sec"!

If things do not improve (or are not improvable), it would be worthwhile being put on the original BT Infinity product, which is "Up to 40 Mbps" DS. Why pay for the faster service if you are not capable of receiving it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the install has taken place, please start your own thread if you wish to discuss the performance of your line. For reference purposes, just provide the link to this thread when you start the new one.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:52:02 AM by burakkucat »