Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BT Openreach are moving the goalposts  (Read 9395 times)

Oldjim

• Reg Member
BT Openreach are moving the goalposts
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:06:31 PM »

First picture
This is the information when I ordered fibre

Second picture
This is what it shows now

My actual  Connection speed (kbps):   47723      9462
Jim
Plusnet

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: BT Openreach are moving the goalposts
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »

That is BT Retail and isn't a factor here as the change only happened in the last few weeks
Jim
Plusnet

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »

The estimates aren't from Openreach, they are from BT.

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »

The are from BT.com not BT Retail and in this case I assume that it is BT Openreach as they are the ones who know where the cab is and the quality of the cabling
Jim
Plusnet

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 03:09:53 PM »

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »

All right - if you want to be pedantic BT Consumer
Jim
Plusnet

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »

Oh dear that's gone down by quite a lot. However, I thought the estimates changing is to be expected. Once the line is operating, the data of how the line is performing is used to update the estimate. So if it's a rubbish line, the estimate goes down. Then you get into the various terms and conditions of what would be accepted as a fault, which I don't know off the top of my head, the WBC FTTC Handbook is available for reference.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »

The estimates changing is one of the 'Features' of how it all works.

If you get a line fault or other long term change in the line condition the estimate on your line changes.
This is 'moving the goalposts' imho as the criteria to define an error condition is based on your line estimates.
From memory I think that you will have a reasonable complaint if your line sync's drops by more than 25% of the estimate.
The problem is the estimate drops as a consequence of the error condition so the chances of such a drop is somewhat slim. (25% of the reduced estimate)
This is the issue I had where the estimate dropped in line with the error condition so by the revised numbers my line was OK.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »

ok but the change oldjim posted is one hell of a change, the new high estimate is lower than the previous low estimate.  My estimate has never swung that much.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »

Just a question here lets say the line has crosstalk and you do many BT line speed tests you will notice in the second stage the information is being uploaded to the server, Is that information being used as the estimate for that line over time ?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »

I don't think so. I'm sure Openreach could get the VDSL2 line rates and other data from the DLM.

The BT speedtester uploads the results so that they can be seen by the faults handling systems. Apart from retrieving your IP profile, the BT speedtester is really for when your line rate is high, but your download or upload speed is lower than your line speed. It's not really for the line speed itself being lower than it should be. It'll always show that "acceptable range of speeds" according to whatever the current line rate is.

I thought the initial estimate could be partly based on the performance of nearby lines, but of course if you're one of the first few people on the cabinet, there aren't any currently on FTTC, so it could only be based mostly on the line length, and any data they have on line quality, if there is any.

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »

The multicore from the fibre cab to the subsidiary cab (just outside my house) is said to be lead sheathed which the engineer said would affect it
Also apparently mine is one of the better wires - my neighbour had two BT engineer visits before he found one which gave similar speeds to mine as all the other free ones were much worse
Jim
Plusnet

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 08:33:37 PM »

??? The multi-core from the FTTC Cab will have only been put in in recent years ....... so there's no chance it will be paper-insulated/lead-sheathed.

Do you mean from the existing Cab to your Distribution Point (Telegraph Pole or Underground Joint) ??

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »

You are correct
It goes from the fibre cab to the main cab and then via  the lead sheathed multicore to the subsidiary cab
Our rural area consists of a number of groups of houses fed from a more or less central cab (No 20) and in my case there is a subsidiary cab (No 20/1) which looks a bit like this except it is buried in the hedge
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:03:57 PM by Oldjim »
Jim
Plusnet
Pages: [1] 2 3