Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What can I say?  (Read 14690 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: What can I say?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »

>> Now that it has happened several times, can you just ring up and alert them to it and they see in your records what it is and fix it quickly, or do you feel like you are starting from scratch everytime on the phone ?

Depends - Some of the reps (such as James or Phil) know the line history and will put it to BT when I say "I think its happening again".   
The problem seems to be BTwholesale - Ive seen some of the tickets my ISP has had with BTw in respect of this. Just say the word "reject" seems to get mentioned a lot. :(

>> Would it be possible to introduce some noise on your internal wiring for several weeks in order to get the system to fully 'recognise' your line,

Thats something Ive seen mention of several times before - seems a bit drastic action though and something we shouldnt have to do. I saw this trick work for quite a few that had "original stuck profiles".

>> I've never synced at anything other than 8128. Noise margin is usually 9/10 - sometimes 8, never seen 7.

I'd like to stress that the above was a theory and it doesnt apply to all lines - I think there may also be another variable involved but what that is I dont know.  May be exchange kit.  I dont think its router since of all the times Ive been stuck 3 of them have been with different routers (SAR110, Voyager 2110 and now the speedtouch).

>> I'm considering taking up the Plusnet Max Premium offer. Do you think that if I did I'd end up with a 2000 profile?

Hopefully not - wish I could remember now which way round I got stuck - ie whether it was from Max -> Max Premium or if it was from MaxPremium -> Max.    I was doing some trials for PN and they accidentally changed my account type.   Actually jelv now I think about it - dont you already have a RIN login?

What I couldnt understand is that one of the processes appeared to be done manually - ie at 2pm in the afternoon with downtime of about 20mins...  whilst the other way was done automatically during a midnight switch-over.

AFAIK going to MaxPremium starts a new training period - so if your IPprofile is currently set at 7150 (8000), then when you connect on it, it should remember that rather than go back to the default.
I think mine got mucked up due to going maxpremium -> max --> maxpremium within a couple of days.

Whatever way dont let it stop you going for maxpremium.  For me on this exchange its worth the extra £ and Im way too used to the upstream now :D
Ive been nagging PN for ages to actually make this type of account more prominent and available to customers on BBYW rather than having to stick to those few who remained on the older account.  I definitely think the demand is there.  Seems to be for a couple of other ISPs too.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 05:14:48 PM »

I'm not sure what the relevance of RIN is ??? I still sync at 448 up.

In any case I've gone back to the normal login since the uncertainty over Phorm arose. From what I've seen on the BT forums in the last few days, if BT had given Plusnet a statement signed in blood that it didn't affect RIN I wouldn't trust it.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 05:46:49 PM »

>> I'm not sure what the relevance of RIN is

Someone mucked my account type up at that time.   
Yeah Im not too happy about the RIN/Phorm thing either and havent used it since.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »

Day 10 since the powercut - Still stuck.....  and to further add to the mystery around this. 

Every time I resync now

- My router reports sync of 8128
- The BTw Speedtest reports sync of 8128
- A whoosh test reports current sync of 8128

Yet the DLM is recording and continues to falsely record every single one of those sync event as 7392Kbps.
I could reboot right now and record 8128 everywhere except on the DLM report which will show 7392

Something in the DLM system is b0rked :(

Getting BTw to accept this though is proving difficult...  because guess which figure they are going off?
-----

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 08:58:06 AM »

Getting BTw to accept this though is proving difficult...  because guess which figure they are going off?

How do they respond when you highlight the fact that you are very close to the exchange ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 01:06:26 PM »

Not something thats been discussed really.  Am more going on the point that aside from the powercut incident I always sync at 8128.
and I am not syncing at the speed the dlm is recording.   Its damn annoying cause the dlm is recording the sync time but not the correct speed.

My ISP got me to do a resync several days ago when I first started denying the dlm recorded sync speeds..  and they can now see from the time that I did that resync that despite everywhere else showing 8128 - the dlm recorded that event wrong.

Once again it goes back to BT - dont suppose I'll hear anything now over the easter period.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2008, 02:25:21 PM »

Cleared - Finally!

I seem to have managed to doubled my latency though, despite being on FAST mode.

It would seem to be an ATM routing issued since if I log on via RIN I can see that its time taken from here to the RAS.
So it looks like Im doing the Blackpool  to Manchester via Aberdeen or something again  :D
cba to do anything about it now, since I dont think BT are interested in latency as long as it works. :/
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »

Good news (more or less) then. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »

Yep finally.

I believe James has had a fun time with BTw tickets :/
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »

I noticed my pings to my ISP's LNS machines has gone up from about 16ms.

Code: [Select]
ping -c 5 -s 56 -i 2 89.248.128.5 2>
PING 89.248.128.5 (89.248.128.5): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 89.248.128.5: icmp_seq=0 ttl=62 time=27.922 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.128.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=62 time=27.422 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.128.5: icmp_seq=2 ttl=62 time=31.806 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.128.5: icmp_seq=3 ttl=62 time=27.232 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.128.5: icmp_seq=4 ttl=62 time=26.672 ms
--- 89.248.128.5 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 26.672/28.211/31.806/1.842 ms

I know its not much but it is still annoying me.

I wonder if the exchange had to switch over to a backup power source because i think some of Poulton Road lost power. My office next to Tesco did not.

James

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2008, 09:22:17 PM »

Theres definitely something buggered up since the power cut - Im seeing an increase of about an additional 15ms to the RAS.
So similar to you.

Being near to the exchange I was affected - had no power for a couple of hours. 
Ive still not dare try my old router (which despite being surge protected) didnt seem to fair too good.

One of the annoying things is my attenuation had also gone up. 
What was 7dB atten is now 10.5dB
Previously I seldom in ever got any errors..  and whilst the following isnt really bad
Uptime:   0 days, 7:18:42
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   30 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   126 / 73
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   70 / 29

That is something that I would never ever normally see. 
Normally I'd perhaps get 2or4 CRC errors during bootup but that would be it for weeks and weeks.

If it wasnt for the fact that Ive only just got my IPprofile back today,  I'd try some fiddling but Im scared that I may upset things even more.

----
PS jabns

Did you ever hear what caused the power cut - I havent heard anything about it.   I know even those not on this estate whilst not affected directly had huge power surges at the time which affected up to a few miles away.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:25:43 PM by kitz »
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2008, 12:35:08 AM »

I am not sure what caused the power cut but the surges tripped all my breakers on my mains. I remember rockfm stopped streaming on my lappy so  trying i tried to ssh into my modem but it would not work LOL. Then I twigged what had happened.

ASDA lost power and one of my friends lost power on Preston Street.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2008, 03:11:50 AM »

ok thanks anyway. 
I think I just found it strange that in view of the area covered and length of time some homes were without power that no-one seems to know what happened. ???
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 12:48:27 PM »

OFFS

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2861 kbps

:wall:
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:18 PM »

Aaaaaggghhh! :rain:
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4