Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What can I say?  (Read 14693 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: What can I say?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »

Actually I have no cause for complaint by the way my ISP has handled this at all.

I raised a ticket last night to get interleaving removed from the line - which was done within a few hours updated by BTw just after midnight which is when  BTw they seem to run all their scripts.
Theres not that many ISPs that you could contact at 9:30pm and get BTw's system to react by 12:10 - and no I didnt get any special treatment - it was all done through the normal system.

As regards to the profiling thing - then they say that it could take up to 72 hours and that they cant raise it as a fault to BTw until after that time, because it may well correct itself.

Its only because I know this line - and its history of being stuck several times in the past,  that I have this nagging feeling "here we go again". :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »

Still stuck :(

IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 463 kbps

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 09:29:19 AM »

Oh dear, it does sound like "here we go again". :(
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 10:11:55 AM »

Now, call me a Computer Luddite  !!! but I don't understand any of the above problems    ..but I do sympathise   :angel:

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »

Now, call me a Computer Luddite  !!! but I don't understand any of the above problems

Kate,

It looks like all you Luddendenfootites are not clued up on computers:  :no: :no:

http://luddendenfoot.com/

Over four years and the site is still not finished.  :'(

dave  :lol: :lol:

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »

Cheer up, Kitzs.

"It never rains but it pours", as my mum used to say.

But she used to also say "If you fall off that wall and break both your legs, don't come running to me." So I suppose the first saying is an old mother's tale.

dave

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »

Shoot me through your line stats unparsed. the tool from last night has been edited for me.  :graduate:
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 02:58:19 PM »

Getting there - sorta-ish.   ???

I rang James up yesterday and Phil sent a ticket off to BTw - it appears it was stuck. 
However Im now on a profile of  6500 :no:
The line retrained yesterday - and although I didnt see it - according to the BTw log events there was a sync yesterday afternoon  for a couple of seconds of 7616 at 2.20pm (which is apparently the time when BTw were making adjustments). 

The line isnt interleaved but its pretty obvious where the new 6500 profile has now come from...  so I guess Im now stuck with 6500 for a few days.   
I can live with that.   If it hasnt changed by Monday I'll give PN another yell.

This is stupid - a line that consistently syncs at 8128 buggered up, all because of a powercut. 
I wont go into depth - but with exchange congestion and ATM routing that Im getting right now - its why Im not too fussed over the 6500 profile atm.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »

I started to type something in another thread in response to a question for setecio and realised I'd perhaps gone a bit too deep into the theories bit - therefore I'll keep the factual stuff in that post...  and put all the theory stuff in here since quite a bit of it relates to examples on my own line.

---------------------------

Theres no explanation why stuck bRAS profiles occur -  but something that I noticed fairly early on and I was possibly one of the first to suggest this is that it seems far more likely to occur on good lines.

I have an unproven theory that good lines with lots of spare SNRM dont push the DLM.... perhaps something to do with the DLM never seeing that line hitting its target SNR.  (eg the type of line will always sync with a SNRM more than the target SNR). Its almost as if the DLM only acknowledges these lines when the SNRM <= the Target SNR.

2Mb is the most common reason for a line to get stuck at since if the DLM cant pick up a profile then the default profile is 2000.   Hence why it can happen after a change in product.

-------------
Now back to the why a line that is 6Mb etc why that doesnt get stuck as often....  which also lends more evidence to my theory above  In that instance when the line goes back up - it will reach a point where the SNRM = Target SNR.  The system at this point says "Stop!!!! - Maximum sync achieved for the Target SNR" and then it records that event for the IP profile.

However if you have a very good line (take mine for example)... it syncs up straight off at 8128.  It then may have a surplus SNRM of 14dB and therefore is way over and above the Target SNR of 6dB..  the DLM doesnt have to work or doesn't have to do anything much.  Theres no negotiating of the maximum speed of what the line can handle because the line can cope with it - and could do way more if 8128 wasnt a restriction of adsl1.  Theres nothing that goes "Stop" - only the limitation of adsl1.

I have problems with stuck profiles - this line would normally consistently sync at 8128 always with plenty of SNRM.   But what is a real PITA as soon as I have a low sync event I get capped.  Experience has shown that it can only take one single event too - god knows why Adaptive Max Logic doesn't
appear to work on it either.  Its almost as if one bad sync and the DLM goes "ooooh look STOP!!!  Max sync achieved for Target SNR - hahahah found you" and then BAM I get hit.   Then I can attempt another resync immediately after at 8128 and then the DLM goes " Nah you havent hit your Target SNR - lalala cant see you - not going to record it".

---------------

On my own line this is certainly the experiences Ive had so far

• When I was 1st maxed  (stuck at 2000 despite immediate sync of 8128)
  • Misconfiguration set my MaxPremium account to Max and back again.  (stuck at 2000 despite constant sync of 8128)
  • Move to another DSLAM shortly after BTw installed new MSANs in this exchange - (stuck at 2000 despite constant sync of 8128)
  • Having a new kitchen fitted - lots of heavy duty power tools etc (stuck at 4500 after a bad sync - reboot back up at 8128)
  • Having some electrical work done in the house and the electrician was flicking the main fuse box on and off without me first having powered down the router (stuck at 6000 - router came straight back up at 8128).
  • Powercut and power surge on the estate. (stuck at 500 - bad sync of 736 and a period of not being able to sync followed by a reboot back up to 8128)

...........  and finally where I am right now - stuck at 6500.   
BT attempting to clear the stuck 500 and rather than doing a reset - did something stupid in their system which gave me a false sync event of 7392Kbps.   This wasnt a true sync and why nothing ever showed in my router logs.

In still fighting this one...  and I have a bit more info which I will possibly disclose when Im more certain...  but after discussion with Saffy and my ISP we have a good idea what they have done.  If so - it wasnt perhaps the best thing to do on a line that has a record for getting stuck  :mad:
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 07:07:33 AM »

That's really interesting, and there does seem to be some sense in your theory.
  Eric

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 09:23:56 AM »

Interesting. Now that it has happened several times, can you just ring up and alert them to it and they see in your records what it is and fix it quickly, or do you feel like you are starting from scratch everytime on the phone ?

Would it be possible to introduce some noise on your internal wiring for several weeks in order to get the system to fully 'recognise' your line, or maybe this would upset things even more ? Eg. if you removed a few adsl filters (or connect your ringwire to the outside TV aerial  :lol:)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 09:31:26 AM »

I think I know what you will say to this - but I'll ask anyway.

I've never synced at anything other than 8128. Noise margin is usually 9/10 - sometimes 8, never seen 7.

I'm considering taking up the Plusnet Max Premium offer. Do you think that if I did I'd end up with a 2000 profile?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »

Did you get stuck at a 2000 profile to begin with when you were first maxed? Or did it go straight up to 7150? Might account for what would happen if you got regraded.

If you fancy Max Premium anyway, why not try it and see! Let us know what happens to your profile (if anything)
Chris

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »

Now you're asking me to think a long way back!

I can't remember what speed I was on immediately after being maxed, but I did have to play around to force a low sync event before I got higher speeds. It was either putting the router on the end of a 15M telephone extension reel, or using an unfiltered phone that did the trick.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 01:04:36 PM »

>> I did have to play around to force a low sync event before I got higher speeds.

There we go - proves the theory about lines that immediately sync at the full 8Mb not getting correctly profiled! Crazy really - looks like this has been overlooked, and is still not working properly!!
Chris
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything