Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: has my speeds purposely been lowered?  (Read 12111 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: has my speeds purposely been lowered?
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »

If that homehub 5 is a type A, this sync difference is probably down to G.INP

arronlowley

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »

Oddly enough when I had the hg612 modem without the sp08 I had interleave and it was the same with the hh5 (a) but now the hh5 (a) is giving me the same ping as the g.inp activated modem I have with the sp08.

So I'm wondering if the 5a has been updated to support g.inp?, the hub has never given me the same sync as the hg612 but I guess that's because my cabinet is huawei.

Basically

Hg612 sp10- 22ms ping
Hg612 sp08- 12ms ping
Hh5a before- 22ms
Hh5a now- 12ms.

When g.inp was acivated on my line I didn't know so my sync speed dropped to about 68mbps, as soon as I updated the modem to sp08 I was back to 80 and interleave was gone, now I'm down to 72 so I wonder if maybe somehow g.inp has deactivated somehow, problem is I can't get into the modem web gui.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:57:59 PM by arronlowley »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »

Hh5a before- 22ms - Interleaved
Hh5a now- 12ms. - fast path

arronlowley

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2015, 04:53:47 PM »

Hh5a before- 22ms - Interleaved
Hh5a now- 12ms. - fast path

Exactly so Im thinking the hh5a is g.inp friendly now because like I say, it was interleaved and now it's fast path.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »

Fastpath is when G.INP is off.

arronlowley

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »

that cant be true because with g.inp off my latency was 8-10ms higher and my sync speed was lower... by a lot.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »

pretty sure you can have fastpath and G.INP :-\

arronlowley

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2015, 07:34:29 PM »

pretty sure you can have fastpath and G.INP :-\
indeed you can, i just put the original firmware onto my hg612 and omg, the speed drop was insane, i could only get 50Mbps wired, i put the sp08 firmware back on and now its back to 72, il only dream of getting the full 80 back now.

sorc

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »

Yes. It is here. http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

It is only on upload though. Stupid really. Someone thrashing 12mbit upload 24/7 is going to cause much less issues than someone thrashing 200mbit download constantly.

RE VM, they do sometimes have congestion at peak times but your performance should and probably will exceed BTs. Only issues really arise when your road has a much of heavy users all using the same provider. I was with VM for 15 years and everything was great the entire time. Only moved away so I could get more upstream bandwidth.

12Mbit is a substantial amount of the upload capacity though. I can't remember the actual numbers, but the nature of DOCSIS is that the upstream capacity is nowhere near equal with the downstream (I want to say maybe 10% as a rough guide). That's why they don't want you maxing it out for too long, and why they can offer significant jumps in downstream speed but hardly anything on the up (and also why Openreach really couldn't care, because they don't have the same constraints - though why they only offer 20Mbit upload to the lucky few who can get FTTH I don't know).

Of course neither direction is bulletproof - with the new 200Mbit speed that Virgin plan to offer, they only need to have a few people maxing that out for demand to exceed supply and for peak time congestion to result. So much for "vivid optical fibre" (that has GOT to be a potential ASA case, surely? That implies FTTH when it is no such thing).

At least Openreach doesn't appear to be suffering from backhaul issues with their FTTC cabinets, yet (as someone who spent ages trying to get BT Wholesale through a competent ISP to fix it on 20CN ADSL on more than once occasion, I'm very glad), and it's just line length/RFI/crosstalk to worry about
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]