Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.  (Read 36672 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 10:44:55 PM »

DoB is normally used for the credit check and (these days) to determine whether you can be trusted to view nipples (content filters) without being driven into a frenzy ;)
Determines if contents are yoghurt, full cream, semi-skimmed, or 90% proof. :)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »

This has just come up on twitter

https://twitter.com/didoharding

Which does appear to be the MD's account, given the one reference, and the official account that follows it.

The lack of tech savvy or general twitter interaction in itself isn't a problem, Dido is the the boss, doesn't have to have her finger on the pulse of tech.  But when she's wheeled out onto TV to do interviews and give tech advice (that is poor at best, eg suggesting an email that has a From: header as TalkTalk indicates it's genuine) it's more of a problem.

It's worrying that TalkTalk are trying to put PR spin on this that's it's not a problem, or else really don't know what's going on generally.

Ian

nb I'm not piling in to attack TalkTalk, they've been good to me, I've experienced good service and I've defended them on a number of occasions.

Ian

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 10:58:02 PM »

Not really sure why she's the CEO with a PPE degree? Likewise the commercial manager has a "Spad" degree (more political nonsense).

Is this the "world class leadership" we're told we have to pay for in the UK? People who have no clue about the businesses they (ostensibly) run?

Sounds a lot more like jobs for the boys (and the occasional girl) to me :(

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »

It seems to me to fall back to the dissonance between successful business, good value/price to consumer and good customer support.  They are, at a base level, mutually exclusive.  In the end, one has to give way.

Dido may well have been successful as head of TalkTalk from a business point of view (+revenue +customers etc) but....

Next few days/weeks will be interesting.

Ian

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2015, 11:18:37 PM »

My own only encounter with TT was calling to wind up Dad's account after he died.   Upshot was, unbelievably, they  somehow claimed I'd agreed to a new full year contract in my own name on an empty flat 400 miles away.   I won in the end, but it was serious hassle, the kind of thing you never forgive.

Listing to the lady in question though I can't help imagining her taking advice from the Indian call centre staff before each interview.  If they were anything like as good as the people I encountered, I'm not surprised she doesn't know which way's up after the 'advice'. :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2015, 11:22:03 PM »

Did you read the link? It has nothing to do with phone numbers :D

The stolen telephone numbers on TT years ago was a precursor to the events we can clearly see as of to-day they had plenty of warnings but never did anything about it's just shameful.

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2015, 11:22:49 PM »

Next few days/weeks will be interesting.

Indeed. I expect to see the tories using this to extend the law inappropriately (again).

Its all set up for that now isn't it - "Russian Islamists issuing ransom demands"  :lol:

Lets find a bogeyman or two, get the heat off the totally incompetent company because after all they're jolly good chaps - even the gels - who give us access to all their data without any problems & while we're at it sneak some more laws in that the plebs don't notice.....  :-X

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 11:52:33 PM »

@rizla
Unfortunately, that is exactly what I expect as well.  :( :(

Even better from 'The Register' TalkTalk has been advertising for a Infosec Officer !!! (You could not make this up!!)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/23/tardy_talktalk_advertised_for_infosec_officer_four_days_ago/

Best of luck to anyone stupid enough to take this on.
Obviously did not think it was important before and/or ignored everything that they should have been doing.

sorc

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 11:55:47 PM »

@rizla
Unfortunately, that is exactly what I expect as well.  :( :(

Even better from 'The Register' TalkTalk has been advertising for a Infosec Officer !!! (You could not make this up!!)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/23/tardy_talktalk_advertised_for_infosec_officer_four_days_ago/

Best of luck to anyone stupid enough to take this on.
Obviously did not think it was important before and/or ignored everything that they should have been doing.

There are quite a few job postings posted "today". I wonder if that's coincidental or not.

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2015, 12:02:26 AM »

I don't think I could even begin to advise how to deal with this - given the likelihood is they've been compromised for a year or more. Thats a long time to plan the final heist of (plaintext) data but its sort of looking like that is what happened.

I wouldn't be surprised if within the next 12 months TT was "just another brand name subsumed into another ISP" - in fact its odds-on IMHO.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2015, 12:19:15 AM »

I don't think I could even begin to advise how to deal with this - given the likelihood is they've been compromised for a year or more. Thats a long time to plan the final heist of (plaintext) data but its sort of looking like that is what happened.

I wouldn't be surprised if within the next 12 months TT was "just another brand name subsumed into another ISP" - in fact its odds-on IMHO.
True, if they are not any more successful at identifying what the situation is and being seen to get control of the situation.
The floundering around 'may' cost a few heads but solves nothing and the hit on the share price is setting them up for some hostile activity from a competitor.
[TalkTalk is a MVNO of O2 which is due to be swallowed up by 3's (Three) parent Company Hutchison Whampoa, could be a good way to get into the 'Quad Play' arena cheaply.]

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2015, 12:43:15 AM »

I thought the share price nose dived spectacularly early, but largely recovered by the end of play.

I still think it'll all be forgotten by most folks in a few months.   Customers will be queing up on their doorstep as long as they are perceived to be cheap, that is the society we live in.

And all this publicity will be adding to the perception,  "Wow, I bet they're cheap."

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2015, 01:08:45 AM »

I thought the share price nose dived spectacularly early, but largely recovered by the end of play.

I still think it'll all be forgotten by most folks in a few months.   Customers will be queing up on their doorstep as long as they are perceived to be cheap, that is the society we live in.

And all this publicity will be adding to the perception,  "Wow, I bet they're cheap."
Re: Share price, I did not check recently & I expect the shares will bounce again as this saga goes on.
(Someone always is trying to make money out of a bit of 'Share price' manipulation.)

I hope you are wrong, on the rest !!  :(
If that is the case everyone deserves what they get.

I wish security would stick in peoples mind for once.
We are more and more enmeshed in the Internet for everything in our daily lives, yet security is less than an afterthought for most including the companies we trust to keep our information safe.

What does it take for people to take all this seriously. !!
You cannot simply say 'Oops' and press the reset button on this.  :no: :no: :no:

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2015, 01:16:02 AM »

TalkTalk obviously aren't going to pay the hackers any money, so the question is how much data do the hackers release(if any)? If they do a Sony or Ashley Madison and release gigabytes and gigabytes then surely Harding is finished - being the third breach in a year as well. In that case I would also hope action could be taken that would hit TalkTalk hard financially.

Not really sure why she's the CEO with a PPE degree? Likewise the commercial manager has a "Spad" degree (more political nonsense).

Is this the "world class leadership" we're told we have to pay for in the UK? People who have no clue about the businesses they (ostensibly) run?

Sounds a lot more like jobs for the boys (and the occasional girl) to me :(

Winning the Oxbridge lottery often pays dividends whether your degree is good, bad, or indifferent. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:45:45 AM by phi2008 »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2015, 01:39:28 AM »

Sacking someone is of no value, whether it is a 'scapegoat' or CEO. Much like apologies after the fact are of no value also.

Real action of security is what is needed before you are hacked.
People should be asking their ISP's now .... "Are you storing my Data encrypted, regardless of how good your security is supposed to be ?"
[I anticipate that some companies will say .... "Our security is much better than Talk Talk's and the Data is safe", without answering the question.  :( >:( )
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

anything