Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.  (Read 36490 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »

I've just seen the head of TT, Dido Harding, on the BBC news today. Not sure if it was live or not but she didnt have much information. It was obvious she was fumbling through the questions being asked. She didnt even know if the data had been encrypted or not. There is NO excuse for not encrypting data in this day and age.

She claims they announced all this without knowing the exact full extent of whats been stolen or what the full situation is.

She come across very weak on detail, not someone in charge of the situation.

Someone asked if former customers details would be included in this attack. She couldnt answer. I have a feeling they could be compromised too.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »

Just seen a thread on the TT community forum with a list of databases which were compromised, obviously dont know how accurate it is but it is 64 databases long!
Dont know how long it will be there but I copied it just in case  ;)

Stuart

So someone on the TT community forum as posted direct links to the databases? Wow.. All the Mods are in self panic mode and ran off from their stations? lol... smh.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »

Just seen a thread on the TT community forum with a list of databases which were compromised, obviously dont know how accurate it is but it is 64 databases long!
Dont know how long it will be there but I copied it just in case  ;)

Stuart

So someone on the TT community forum as posted direct links to the databases? Wow.. All the Mods are in self panic mode and ran off from their stations? lol... smh.

No not direct links but a simple list of what was taken I believe. Still enough to make them nervous though.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »

Someone asked if former customers details would be included in this attack. She couldnt answer. I have a feeling they could be compromised too.

Now that makes me wonder what happens to former customers information in TalkTalk  :-\

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »

Now that makes me wonder what happens to former customers information in TalkTalk  :-\

As they appear to have violated most if not all of the DP regs (they shouldn't be storing DoB for a start) and ALL of the PCIDSS regs I would suggest the only difference between current and former customers is that one set will get told & the others won't.

ie you're screwed too but you get no "compo"

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 06:53:17 PM »

The TT boss was on the six o'clock news, claiming she has received a 'ransom' demand.   Incredibly, she was still talking as if TT were the victims rather than the villains.   She just didn't seem to 'get it'.

That said... What are we actually worried about?   So they have handed over private data on a plate, including date of birth, name, address.   Shocking, as that might facilitate identity theft and bank fraud.  But that information triplet of name, address and DoB is trivially easy to obtain for many people.   Anybody who is a company director for example, it is public domain, freely available from Companies House.

To me, as well as a welcome opportunity for sinking TT, this is an opportunity to get the banks to pull their heads out of the sand, and appreciate they need much better security processes themselves too.  Such that it takes more than a DoB and address to achieve fraud!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »

I am quite sure I was never asked for nor gave my date of birth to TalkTalk. Possibly because I transferred my service to them a long time ago.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 07:22:23 PM »

Sure it could be an inside Job by a disgruntled IT employee at TT not all attacks comes from the outside.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »

Saw Baroness Harding on Channel 4 tonight where she said they had bought 4 million subscriptions to Noddle for their customers!!! Now 4 Million Noddle account are free, it is only their add-on services which cost, so what are they giving?

Stuart

Edit just checked the TT site and it does say you can sign up for the Noddle Credit Alert using a code. I have just signed up for Noddle Alerts as I already had a Noddle account anyway.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:02:02 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »

I am quite sure I was never asked for nor gave my date of birth to TalkTalk. Possibly because I transferred my service to them a long time ago.  :-\

DoB is normally used for the credit check and (these days) to determine whether you can be trusted to view nipples (content filters) without being driven into a frenzy ;)

Neither check requires the data processor to retain the actual DoB, merely to record that you are over 18 for future govt content filters. In fact the DP guidelines specifically mention that you should not retain the DoB for longer than the period required to verify that data.

TT are in a big big hole & the nonsense about "ransoms" will dig that hole a lot deeper.

Then again Dido is married to one of "Call me Dave"'s buddies so I'm sure the tories will help their own.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 09:41:11 PM »

you can be trusted to view nipples

During the interview questions by BBC they did seem to be extruding I am guessing she was not sexually aroused at this stage she must just be feeling the cold chill of contempt.

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 09:46:31 PM »

Thankfully I was spared that sight otherwise I'm sure a frenzy might eventually have occurred :D

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/657499167535800320

Shamelessly copied from a link in comments elsewhere. Might make some TT customers smile tonight? :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 10:23:16 PM »

Shamelessly copied from a link in comments elsewhere. Might make some TT customers smile tonight? :)

yeap these stolen telephone numbers could be sold on to blackmarket call centers, I have said it before in another thread i am 100% sure that telephone numbers of users on TalkTalk have been taken and sold on  :(

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »

yeap these stolen telephone numbers could be sold on to blackmarket call centers, I have said it before in another thread i am 100% sure that telephone numbers of users on TalkTalk have been taken and sold on  :(

Did you read the link? It has nothing to do with phone numbers :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

anything