Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virgin Media BB Upgrade  (Read 2945 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Virgin Media BB Upgrade
« on: October 21, 2015, 02:00:03 AM »

Yesterday I received a email from VM informing me of their upcoming improvement.
My only problem is I can't find any information with what the heck they are on about, although when I did select the
'Find out when' button and input my postcode, all I got was a message informing me further information would be available towards the end of November.

So is it just me going even more senile and lacking the will to spend hours searching or much the same for anyone else.

http://store.virginmedia.com/special-offers/better-broadband.html?buspart=uk_em_b_na_na_boost_nonbowie_oct15&cm_item=vm&cmid=56123141&seg=email
We promised you faster broadband.
Now it's coming
Find out when

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Virgin Media BB Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »

I wonder if it is related to the upgrade that Walter has recently posted about?  :-\

Reference: Walter's thread.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »

No I'm sure it's nothing to do with that, but I think I found something, which all to do basically with new software so it allows multiple users at the same time, so supposedly does not slow down our system.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 05:47:01 PM »

Hmm . . . It reads as if they are possibly proposing to use snake-oil as a lubricant!  :-X

Please keep us updated when you find out any more information.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »

This was what I eventually found last night/

DOCSIS® 3 technology – the magic in our cables

With ultrafast broadband from Virgin Media, you get what you want, when you want it. That’s because we use a totally different type of cable with DOCSIS® 3 tech and run it right to your house. It’s not just faster, it’s more reliable too. So you are more likely to get the speed you signed up for. It’s all down to DOCSIS® 3 – the magic in our cables.
http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/ultrafast.html

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 07:53:05 PM »

Thank you for sharing it. There does not appear to be anything of technological significance . . . just re-spun marketing words.  :no:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »

Yes, personally I think it's just their crappy way of marketing their upgrading BB service.
The last twice when I got upgraded (for free) all it meant was being blocked that much quicker with what WAS my downloading.

Still trying to sell at a knock-down price about 1,000 DVD box's, buy will have to remove all and any artwork or/and contents, complete with 3 Argos shelf units. (Buy collects)

mrpops2ko

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »

Surprised you haven't heard of this, its been plastered about online for months.

Here are some relevant links if you want to know more;
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/10/virgin-media-uk-confirms-300mbps-broadband-package-for-smes.html

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/09/virgin-media-boosts-top-uk-vivid-cable-broadband-speeds-to-200mbps.html

and about the modem;
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/07/isp-virgin-media-turns-superhub-routers-into-uk-public-wifi-hotspots.html

relevant bit
We’ll switch on a separate internet connection to your Super Hub, which will become part of the WiFi network. Rest assured the broadband you love and pay for will stay exclusively yours – and remain just as secure. [ISPr Editor’s Note: There will be a separate IP address for the public WiFi element].

I read somewhere that it will be a 10mbit provision on the wifi and it'll have a separate IP to your home one. Pretty good way to provision wifi sharing if you ask me, thats how BT should do it.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 10:14:52 PM »

Surprised you haven't heard of this, its been plastered about online for months.
The thing is maybe as can be seen from my lack of post's I don't use the internet very much these days as I spend a lot of time away from home and out of the UK.
But I suppose when I am at home it seems my new upgrade will be from:
Old Speed: 50Mbps [3Mbps Upload] - New Speed: 70Mbps [5Mbps Upload]

Although as I said with hardly using it for me it's wasted.

Plus I don't know if I like the idea of my router being used as a mobile WiFi hotspot, then again that will not happen that much because I also turn the router off when I'm not here which sometimes is for weeks at a time.