Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VPN Bonding  (Read 6029 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
VPN Bonding
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »

I'm going to make a separate post for this subject because I think it will be of interest to others, it was taken out of this post http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16328.msg302796.html#msg302796

http://simonmott.co.uk/vpn-bonding

I might get around to testing it out sometime  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: VPN Bonding
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:24:45 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »

And I've set it 'Sticky'.

So let's call this team-work!  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:42:01 PM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

dragon2611

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 10:36:23 AM »

Yes it's possible to do, I did it at Layer3 using GRE tunnels and essentially having 2 routes with the same metric pointing at the remote end.

In my case for IPv4 it ended up as a 50/50 split and IPv6 went ECMP so only used one line or the other per destination/port (Due to the lack of a kernel route cache for Ipv4 in EdgeOS 1.8)

I also used BGP in the tunnels for the IPv4 and static routes with BFD for IPv6 (EdgeOS's BGP doesn't seem to do multi-path on IPv6). It meant if a line went down the routes would be removed and traffic would failover to the 2nd line.

Used a 70/20 Pulse8 + 70/20 Plusnet line, both with static IP's which made it easier (Since GRE uses the IP's as the endpoints), got 115 - 125Mbit/s down on speedtest and about 30-35 Up.

I recently stopped "Bonding" and downgraded one of the lines to a 40/10 service (Sky had an offer on that made it worth moving it to them).

Essentially the basic idea is to tunnel your traffic to somewhere with enough bandwidth to handle it all and then use some method to split the traffic between the tunnels the exact logic for doing that usually depends on the platform you are using and it's capabilities.

I do have to say I was pretty impressed that the UBNT ER-X's managed to do 120Mbit/s + of GRE across multiple interfaces whilst also doing firewall and NAT and PPPoE (Well the one at this end was, the other end was just doing routing + GRE as it has a 2nd one in front of it for the Firewall/NAT stuff)