Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: has my speeds purposely been lowered?  (Read 12113 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: has my speeds purposely been lowered?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 10:06:48 PM »

People can't like bt around here just like I don't, considering it's taken a year for crosstalk to affect me, must mean nobody has joined for that long, il be going to vm for there 200Mbps after Christmas and let my girlfriends mum deal With bt and their crappy crosstalk Internet.

All i can say if you have VM enabled in your location then your are privileged, as a good part of the UK home broadband users rely on the current OpenReach infrastructure for faster broadband at a price we can afford.

arronlowley

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 10:25:45 PM »

I can Deffo get vm, can't wait to get 200Mbps, hope good ping comes with that too lol, ping to me is more important but good speeds that won't decrease over time matter too and that's something bt and no other ISP expect vm can offer right now.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 10:32:06 PM »

I'm sure there are people here who would be interested to know how things eventually work out for you.  :)

Hopefully you will keep us updated when you perform the move and then let us know how your new service is operating.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 01:29:32 AM »

Is there any chance of g.vector in the near(ish) future around your way?

arronlowley

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 06:15:11 AM »

Not sure about vectoring, g.inp was released for us early in the year so I'm guessing vectoring will be released in the future, Sky and talk talk are starting the 1000/1000 fttp in York and I'm in leeds so maybe even by this time next year I could be on 1Gbps.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 06:24:26 AM »

Just remember the grass is not always greener the other side of the the fence. Virgin has a reputation for bad pings and congestion, although things may have improved. Good luck with your move and do come back and update us.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 06:33:32 AM »

If I remember correctly, Virgin has or had a policy of time-dependent rate limiting where a high amount of traffic sent to the user in some, say, one hour period can cause the speed to be lowered more and more as a punishment. Scary if true. Does this sound correct? Anyone know anything about it?

mrpops2ko

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 07:15:59 AM »

Yes. It is here. http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

It is only on upload though. Stupid really. Someone thrashing 12mbit upload 24/7 is going to cause much less issues than someone thrashing 200mbit download constantly.

RE VM, they do sometimes have congestion at peak times but your performance should and probably will exceed BTs. Only issues really arise when your road has a much of heavy users all using the same provider. I was with VM for 15 years and everything was great the entire time. Only moved away so I could get more upstream bandwidth.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:18:17 AM by mrpops2ko »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 10:10:15 AM »

VM performance is area dependent but what I can tell you in my area it is pretty bad, I would rather have a solid 70mbit 24/7 (which I get with sky via openreach) than something that runs at 100mbit at 4am but slows down to 5mbit at peak, and usually when is congestion on VM it breaks all sorts of things like streaming.  So  for me consistent performance is more important than peak performance.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »

>slows down to 5mbit at peak

Bloody hell ! Nasty. I shouldn't be at all surprised, but I still am. Makes sense.

> for me consistent performance is more important than peak performance.

Absolutely. Nightmare. You never know from one minute to the next whether you've got a real usable service.

I wouldn't be wanting to pay for that: 200Mbps advertised, and 2.5% of that delivered. Someone ought to have a word with the ASA.

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 11:08:13 AM »

Its the nature of the beast with docsis - you can bring a street of Virgin users to a grinding halt with as few as 4 subscribers maxing out their upstream.

arronlowley

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »

The reason I want to move from bt is the fact they have treated my disabled mother In law so disgustingly im reporting them to watchdogs, charging her more than they should be, always doing quarterly bills when she told them at the start she couldn't afford quarterly because of the mortgage etc, I'm so angry at them, and the call centre staff have no clue at all about what I talk about, they're the worst service provider in the UK, if sky didnt cost more id be with them, always solid at my mums and dads.

arronlowley

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2015, 02:18:43 PM »

Also does anyone know what the "retrain reason:1" is caused by? My internet discomnected and reconnected at about 2:30am shown by telnet, also how do I find out what band I'm on.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2015, 02:22:40 PM »

Retrain reasons http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12504.0

If your modem always syncs at the same speed with the SNRM above 6, I would assume it's banded. The normal banding limits are between the top speed you get and half that as the lower limit.

arronlowley

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »

Well since ive lost 8Mbps on my download speed,  my snr is usually below 7 now when before it was around 8, homehub 5 only connects at 68 down and the modem/buffalo router connects at 71 down.

Think my snr is about 6.2, at work at the momens so can't check, all I know is this morning and I had a retrain reason and it's apparently to do with rdi.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:47:23 PM by arronlowley »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything