Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: has my speeds purposely been lowered?  (Read 12116 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: has my speeds purposely been lowered?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 10:42:44 PM »

I said it earlier, above, but I'll repeat it -- I do not think that anyone has deliberately set out to reduce your circuit's synchronisation speed.

Please just wait a few days (without causing the modem to resynchronise).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

arronlowley

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »

Mate it's not gonna make any difference if I leave it a couple of days... My max attainable has dropped, it's not going to go back up, it's not dlm and I know this because my ping hasn't risen.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 11:30:49 PM »

DLM will band your speed in response to disconnections. It applies interleaving in response to errors.

arronlowley

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 12:41:43 AM »

Dlm has always done both at the same time for me, speed drops and higher latency, if it was dlm my Max attainable wouldn't have dropped.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 12:52:27 AM »

I don't see why you're getting so upset, you're still close to the maximum, some of us get a lot lower speeds than you do.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »

If interleaving had been applied, your Attainable would have risen - which you say hasn't.
You have to look at your SNRM, Sync speed, Attainable Rate, and several other data to say what's going on.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 06:40:45 AM »

As you don't monitor your stats 24/7 like a lot of us on here, you don't have all the information to hand. Your connection could have been hanging on at those speeds on the verge of resyncing, a reconnection would of caused a drop in speed say if your snr was low as it resynced back to the target of 6db.

A lot of very experienced and knowledgeable people have tried to explain why it's happened, and it is most likely cross talk.

Be glad you've got the speeds you have, your also on a Huawei cab which is good,  so get over it and move on.

[Moderator edited to correct the spelling of the name Huawei.]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:38:50 PM by burakkucat »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 12:50:31 PM »

I have lost approx 40% of max attainable rate.  If BT reset the link it connects at 80/20 but after only a few days of dlm intervention I end up on approx 55/18.  Had two big drops of 20 and 10 and the rest of just creeping downwards.  As on a eci cab I am hopeful ginp will come but no one has posted any news on this for quite some time.

arronlowley

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »

That's well bad, I'd have left and gone with a different provider, they always say they can't reset the line over the phone but I bet they can.

arronlowley

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 08:19:05 PM »

Yesterday the bt estimate checker said the Max I could get on a clean a line was 78.9 and now it says 80, if crosstalk has occurred I would expect them to update it so that I know I will no longer get 80, but now there saying I can get more.

see here https://gyazo.com/cda5fa610c8f72f30577c0bd77760028
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:28:14 PM by arronlowley »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »

Yesterday the bt estimate checker said the Max I could get on a clean a line was 78.9 and now it says 80,

What does it show for an impacted line? Perhaps it would be simplest for you to post a screen-capture of that page (with your telephone number trimmed off), then we can all see the full details . . .  :-\

Edited to add -- It is a lot simpler to attach the image to the forum post (see below) rather than providing a link to a hosting site.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:33:32 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »

I believe 30-40% loss is the average.  My status checker values fluctuate but it does eventually catch up.  the clean estimates are still around 75/20 but the lower end of impacted is correct to my speeds.  It is so sad ginp/vectoring isn't ready now it would save so many problems and also keep the more techie users satisfied also.  If I could meet the person who bought the eci cabs and also the person who didn't enforce modem to cab same chipset I would tell them what I think!

arronlowley

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 08:48:28 PM »

my line is clean bt have told me, i guess theres nothing i can do, if it drops below 65 il be getting an engineer to change my pairs, when we first had infinity installed we only got 55, a pair change got us the 80, my pings are still around 11-12ms uk so still happy with that, bt should be forced to change the estimate though if its incorrect, they were told by ofcom to do this before when they were investigated by watchdogs because they "guaranteed" a woman 40Mbps then said she could only get 12Mbps.... con artists.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:51:10 PM by arronlowley »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 09:23:04 PM »

The more you have the more you have to lose and this seems to be the way FTTC works the closer you are to the FTTC cab as the effects of crosstalk are much stronger.

A pair swap may help in the short term but you will be back again in the same situation in under a years time and there must be a limit for pair swaps per premises at the PCP cabinet  :-\

arronlowley

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 09:46:33 PM »

People can't like bt around here just like I don't, considering it's taken a year for crosstalk to affect me, must mean nobody has joined for that long, il be going to vm for there 200Mbps after Christmas and let my girlfriends mum deal With bt and their crappy crosstalk Internet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4