Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: iPad2 and iOS 9  (Read 49835 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Ipad and iOS 9
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 11:12:05 PM »

Background App Refresh is set per app, and only on those it applies to.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 12:02:59 AM »

See
    Settings > General > Spotlight Search

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »

Background App Refresh is set per app, and only on those it applies to.

Thank you - that would explain why I could only find it under the likes of podcast etc.

See
    Settings > General > Spotlight Search

Thanks - already been there and turned everything off.   

Unfortunately though it wasnt the hoped for cure. 
I just tried to start a couple of games, which wont open and immediately either cause the app to crash and go back to the home screen... or the ipad will black screen for a few mins.  :'(

The only suggestion that I havent tried now is doing a full fresh install.   Didnt really want to do that because of any game progress etc for a couple of games Ive played for several years.   It however seems the only thing left that I could do.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2015, 09:51:48 PM »

I don't actually use backup & restore, but I believe that if you back up the iPad first using iTunes or cloud, and then do a full reset (recovery-mode and restore is a convincing method), you should later be able to restore from the back up and it  (*) should include old game data.   But as said, it's not something I do, so no promises. :-[

If your were willing to take the chance on above, then I might suggest you could start by just clean installing as for a new device then play with the iPad for a while to see if it now works for web browsing and the likes.   If it does convincingly work, then restore from the backup.  If that wrecks it again, then suspicion might fall on one of the Apps installed?

If you do as above, and the data is especially precious, I might be inclined to backup the backup, as soon as you create it, in a place of your choosing, just in case it unexpectedly evaporates during the restore.  On windows it lives somewhere under documents&settings. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204215

Then again, I can't promise that manually reinstating an old back up into docs & settings would work either, never tried it.

All things considered I don't hold out huge hopes of success from all this though, given the effort involved.   :(

* note... My use of 'Should' assumes the developer intended it to do so, and got things right.

Edited- added note.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:01:29 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2015, 11:17:29 PM »

Thank you vm for your input.   Having just googled you are correct and I should be able to save and recover a lot of the data.
Its not vital or imperative, it would just be nice to do so.  I'm not a big gamer and the only games I do play are on the ipad as more of a something to do thing, but as Ive been playing some of them for so long I'm at high levels and don't relish starting again (btw they arent the candy crush saga type games, but things I have tossed the odd couple of quid at to support development).

atm it works ok for browsing, as long as I dont have multiple tabs open or anything with lots of videos.   Now Ive got my PC up again which is handling the site mail, its handling my private mail ok... but other than that its slow, unresponsive and prone to crashing.   Not been a good year for upgrades has it.   First dads laptop with win10 and now this.  I daren't update my PC from win 7.   Perhaps I need to buy new stuff but that is out of the question.  It couldn't have happened at a worse time... what with the burst pipe, house, travelling expenses to a non local hospital and just having to top up hosting.   Not that I have time to mess with anything right now anyhow...  christ 2015 has been the shittiest year ever...  dunno wtf I did in a past life.  :'(       
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »

Perhaps I need to buy new stuff

That is certainly not what I meant to suggest.  Buying a new device is always nice, but it should not be required as a solution to this problem.

Other half's current mobile phone is an iPhone 3g, which was launched in 2008.   It is stuck at (iirc) iOS 4.2.1 which is a pity, but she can live with that - it still does all the things that iOS 4.2 ever did, albeit theoretically a bit vulnerable to nasties.  But if they'd allowed us to install a later version of iOS, and that had stopped it working, and had been irreversible, we'd be very upset indeed.    >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 11:40:12 PM »

...   and things get worse.

Obviously because Ive been otherwise distracted over the past few weeks Ive not really been able to be online a lot...  but Ive been trying to use my iPad tonight and half the things that work no longer do.   These are just some of the things that have frustrated me this evening which Ive discovered.

1) I cant swipe down from the top of the screen to get to the notification center.
2) Swiping up doesnt open the Control Center.  So I cant make adjustments to sound, or control mirroring to the Apple TV and ATV source (ie if I want to stream iplayer etc)   Using the ipad for streaming to the ATV is one of the major things I do on the ipad.
3) Mail doesnt work properly.   I get notification of mail briefly flash up in the notification area at top of screen, yet if I try to open mail I get "This message has not been downloaded from the server". 

I appear to be not alone.  Others are also seeing similar problems.

After googling tonight disabling zoom fixes some of these issues in relation to access to control center and notification center...  but I use zoom a lot.    I frequently use it whilst reading these forums for example.    This is not an ideal situation.  In fact without zoom I cant read most websites.    :(

Apple I really am not happy with your rubbish operating system for my ipad.  I am so, soooooo disappointed and annoyed.  Since the upgrade I still cant open any of my games that I previously played without them crashing.

The email issue is in relation to IMAP (which I use on the ipad) and I have something else running on the PC for POP3.   This never used to cause a problem, but Im not the only one affected by this and not happy :  iOS 9 changed mail behaviour

I went to bed early because I was shattered, instead Ive spent time googling why I couldnt get to the control center, why I couldnt see any mail.   If I cant use zoom then the ipad may as well go in the bin.   I mean it and I will  NEVER EVER buy anything Apple again.   This is totally unacceptable. 
:rant: 

Can you tell Im mad?
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:43 AM »

:rant: 

Can you tell Im mad?

Yes, indeed. That's why b*cat is keeping out of the way . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2015, 12:15:48 AM »

I feel like I'm missing something. I'm surprised that the iPad 2 and 3 behave so differently under iOS 9. It works perfectly on the iPad 3. Obviously the graphics subsystem is very different because of the hi-res screen on the iPad 3 compared with the iPad 2, but you would expect any bugs to be confined to graphics related areas such as drawing, and possibly layout assumptions because of scales factors, font sizes, screen size and so on. Kitz' symptoms seem to indicate a general sick puppy, a kind of malaise, with all sorts of functions not working. Perhaps it's again back to layout and scale factors, but not with graphics, rather with the pointing device coordinates being in totally different value ranges. Sheer speculation here, but based on many years of experience with o/s development on this kind of system and hundreds and hundreds of bugs encountered.

Perhaps Apple were ridiculously slack and simply did no testing to shakedown the behaviour on a non-retina system such as iPad 2. If so, then that's really poor don't-care management, as well as developers who simply can't be bothered to deal with the old res, and who ended up with a mountain of #ifdefs which simply needed to be tightly controlled so as not to turn into a pile of death spaghetti. But all the #elses simply got out of control. That's a scenario I could understand.

It would be interesting to get hold of an iPad 2, completely wipe it and install iOS 9.1 on it clean, then test it, then restore you data set onto it and retest. This way we can see if either something in the config is evil, or else if the in-place, non-cold / non-wipe _installation program_ for the OS is bad, and only a cold / clean install works. For example, on a Wintel PC, I never ever do o/s warm installs of NT, I always do cold install, and then migrate user data back by hand, in case the warm upgrade install programs makes a dog's breakfast out of tweaking the existing, running o/s.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:28:14 AM by Weaver »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2015, 12:36:05 AM »

Unfortunately there is no going back
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/10/02/apple-ios-9-0-2-risk/

Generally speaking most websites are not recommending ios9 for the iPad 2.  Too late for me, as I'd already done it, thinking because it was ok on my dads mums Air,  and I'd never had an issue before with ios8.   

I think I read somewhere that the underlying  OS code for ipad2 is very different than that used for newer iPads   :(

I will try a total factory reset install when I get time..  But from what I've read tonight, it doesn't seem like it will be a fix.   What we really need is the ability to roll back :(

I'm not amused that something I've only had for 2.5 years is a pile of junk and now practically unusable down to their update... And it will cost me in excess of £500 to replace with the equivalent model.    How many people can afford to do that every few years?
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2015, 12:47:23 AM »

I agree with Kitz about some of Apple's software. Some of it has bonkers ideas behind it, but your experience is odd because I've not experienced loads of _bugs_ in an Apple software system, rather just daft ideas, illogical incomprehensible design and crippledness.

Loads of things in the iPad seem just total paralysed by nonsensical restrictive decisions. Such as not being able to access a proper file system, not being able to interwork between apps properly, no batch nor command line so you can't automate things, no windows so we're back in the 1970s, no cursor keys on the stupid virtual keybd, not being able to do anything with downloads from the web (unless you use the iCab browser and other third-party progs). The list is endless.

But I've never ever seen bugs in iPad components and I've owned every iPad since the first one up to the iPad 5 (didn't bother with the iPad 6). More daft cynical marketing decisions: you can split the screen into two halves on the iPad 6 and above, but not on the lower iPad models, not even on the iPad 5, presumably done to drive weak sales of the iPad 6 by artificially disadvantaging the iPad 5.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:35 AM »

There might be a good machine such as an iPad 5 on eBay?

The iPad 5 is _the_ big jump as it's a 64-bit processor, so devs have to watch it with assumptions about the sizes of integer values, size of pointers. Some code has probably been written without explicit sizes for integer types when it should be explicit or at least a minimum size as available in C99 (although I know nothing about their ancient Objective-C), and it could be that the converse happens some times too. Assuming odd things about maximum possible values is dangerous in going between 32-bit and 64-bit OSs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:05:15 AM by Weaver »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2015, 08:31:02 AM »

Sorry to hear it's getting to you, Kitz.    I do plan to update my own iPad 2 to iOS 9 and I'll definitely share the experience with you but right now I'm in mid-flight of a project I began with iOS 8 and I want to see that through before I migrate.   Could be a few more weeks...

Re the mail probs, I actually suspect that may perhaps be a gradual change that began with iOS 7.   With iOS 6 and earlier, iirc. you could configure the number of emails held on the device.   Since that setting disappeared, and since memory and storage space are always finite, I've suspected there may be times when iOS may need to purge existing stored mail.

As long as the mail still remains on the server that should not be a problem, it would just resync via IMAP when needed.   But if the mail has vanished from server, after POP 3 download elsewhere, well they've gone.   The 'fix' would prevent the Pop 3 download from deleting server copies, but that's all hindsight now. :(

Or have I misunderstood?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2015, 11:37:11 AM »

Since that setting disappeared, and since memory and storage space are always finite, I've suspected there may be times when iOS may need to purge existing stored mail.

Youve understood correctly with mail.   Once its gone from the server its gone for good.   
It possibly wont affect too many people, but the way I had things set up is that personal mail was mostly done on ipad and anything site related on the PC.   I was happy with this and the way it worked.

I used to keep personal mail on my ipad - which has now all of it gone.   Prior to iOS 9 I could retain it.   There was no warning that with the update it would go forever :(

Although I would occasionally check site mail on the ipad, I would usually cc a copy of any replies etc back to myself so I had a permanent record on the PC so it doesnt affect site mail, just my own personal mail.   I wouldn't ever expect the ipad to be able to cope with the amount of site mail anyhow, which is why I constantly have something running 24/7 on the PC monitoring site mail and via a large number of filters even auto deleting spam.   
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2015, 11:57:28 AM »

@kitz, there may be a way of getting it back onto the server, based on a sequence that went successfully for me when migrating from demon mail to Google Apps.  I can't remember the details, but if you think it's worth bothering, with a little help from Google, you'll probably be able to figure it out.  Or with encouragement, I could make more effort to remember all details, but confirm first whether it's worth it?

Basically though...

Step 1, on the PC to which the POP3 was downloaded, export all mail in some standard format mailbox.

Step 2, on a client that supports the required trickery (Thunderbird worked for me), set up an IMAP account for the server and import said mailbox into the that client, it then uploads to the server.

Step 3 - theoretically (though untested as it wasn't my goal) connect with the iPad's IMAP again, it will resync with all the 'recovered' mails.

I have omitted step (0) obviously, back up anything and everything  before you start messing around. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7