Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: iPad2 and iOS 9  (Read 49831 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: iPad2 and iOS 9
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2016, 02:05:41 PM »

Yes, that's called Smart Setup

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »

If you look carefully at that setup page (may not be that obvious on a tablet or similar, but is on a PC) you can turn the "setup for new devices" off.
After that any new (or reconfigured) device will no longer be "pestered".

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »

Similarly, if you do proceed through smart setup, you won't be pestered again. I think it just asks if you want Parental Controls or not, to which I answer No as it's my device.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2016, 03:35:05 PM »

Thanks for that, Dray & HP.

Not sure I'll get another chance for a while but if I do, I'll heed the advice.

It wasn't at all obvious whether it was just going to change settings for my device, or change the setup for everybody.  Not being my home, and there being very little chance the home owner would understand what I was doing, I didn't want make any changes whatsoever.    I was also a bit scared that it suggested I might 'sign in to BT', which convinced me all the more that it thought I was the account holder, not just a visitor.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »

IOS 9.3 was released recently.   I resisted installing it, having read convincing accounts of safari crashing, not just on old devices but newer ones too.   :-[

But 9.3.1 is now out, supposedly fixing these crashes.    I installed 9.3.1 on a couple of devices today.   First impressions are all is OK, not much changed, but on further inspection, the iPad 2 actually seems a lot happier as a web browser at least.

I've tried browsing a few of the big newspapers' ad-laden websites, which the iPad 2 struggled with ever since iOS 8, these pages seemed fine - loaded first time with no reloads.   I then went to Amazon which, since iOS 8, has shown infuriating 'lag' when typing in the search box... No significant keyboard lag at all, this time. :-\

It's early days, first impressions are sometimes wrong, but my own first impression of iOS 9.3.1 on iPad 2 is pretty darned good.   No problems so far on the newer devices either.   :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2016, 09:54:51 PM »

but on further inspection, the iPad 2 actually seems a lot happier as a web browser at least.

That sounds like some good news. :)

I've tried browsing a few of the big newspapers' ad-laden websites, which the iPad 2 struggled with ever since iOS 8, these pages seemed fine - loaded first time with no reloads.

Even better.
It was sites like Manchester Evening News that would frequently crash my iPad2 and why I got so fed up.  For some strange reason I never much noticed it on iOS 8,  iOS9 was a nightmare though, so I really hope they have managed to find a fix. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:13 PM »

Playing more today, I have seen a couple of websites that need to reload a second time.   But I still think it's better than 9.2.

And I've also noticed another visible impovement... Previously when I awoke the device from sleep, and started entering my pin, there was a lag.  That lag has gone.

But... One quite big negative... My iPhone 5c, when used for navigation in the car with audio over bluetooth, has gotten a bit crackly.  Same with Apple maps and Google.  Still Just about OK, and better than nothing, but a shame as it used to so much better.
 :(
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

anything