Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: iPad2 and iOS 9  (Read 49828 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Ipad and iOS 9
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »

I think Apple stopped signing the IOS 9 files at the end of September, as this was my first line of thought too  :(

Oh have they? :( Quick visit to an Apple "Genius" at an Apple store may be able to help perhaps?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »

Quick visit to an Apple "Genius" at an Apple store may be able to help perhaps?

Worth a try but my hunch is the Genius's idea may well be 'Buy a new iPad'.  Happy to be proven wrong but if I'm right, given the way Kitz obviously feels about all this, I'd not like to be in the shoes of the Genius that suggested it...    >:(

Continuing my fairly random train of thoughts & suggestions... Kitz, have you ploughed through 'settings', disabling anything that might be leading to unexpected activity on the device?  For example...

Settings->iTunes & App Store, sign out.
Settings->iTunes & App Store->Automatic downloads , disable the lot.
Settings->notifications, exclude the lot.
Settings->Privacy->Location Services, turn off.
Settings->iCloud  - sign out.
Settings->facetime, sign out.
... and so on.

I tend to set up most of my Apple devices that way anyway.  Always assuming the device hasn't already gone out of the window?  :o

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »

I think Apple stopped signing the IOS 9 files at the end of September, as this was my first line of thought too  :(
Sorry to butt in: my wife was bought an IPad Air by one of my sprogs a while back. Of IoS I am more ignorant than of Windows. I had just read this thread, when by chance she mentioned upgrading to 9. I've put her off pro-tem. Is IPad Air safe to upgrade, or not? :-\ :fingers:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »

Sorry to butt in: my wife was bought an IPad Air by one of my sprogs a while back. Of IoS I am more ignorant than of Windows. I had just read this thread, when by chance she mentioned upgrading to 9. I've put her off pro-tem. Is IPad Air safe to upgrade, or not? :-\ :fingers:

I think that was perhaps a typo, should have been 'Apple stopped signing iOS 8'?   That's perfectly routine for Apple, all it means is their servers won't sign (let you install) an older iOS once a newer one is available.   

IPad Air is a much newer device than the iPad 2 being discussed here.  Feel free to do some research using a search engine of your choice but I'd be very surprised if there were any major (or minor) problems with iOS 9 install on iPad Air. 

The only reason I have not yet updated my own iPad 2  is that I am an iOS developer, and intend to publish another App soon, and I like to support previous OS as well as current.   So I need a device or two for testing iOS 8 compatibility.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »

I am running iOS 9.1 on an iPad Air and it runs beautifully, a useful upgrade.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »

Thank you for that re=assurance. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »

Thank you everyone :)

Continuing my fairly random train of thoughts & suggestions... Kitz, have you ploughed through 'settings', disabling anything that might be leading to unexpected activity on the device?  For example...

Settings->iTunes & App Store, sign out.

... and so on.

Whilst doing this and going through all the settings to turn everything off... WTH is Spotlight search.   Its turned itself on for every single app I have on the ipad.  EVERYTHING. :(
Ive gone through the list and disabled it all for each and every app.

Things do now seem a bit smoother and Ive just been able to use the ipad for more than 10 mins without it crashing.

Will see how this goes. Keep your fingers crossed for me.  :fingers:

Quick visit to an Apple "Genius" at an Apple store may be able to help perhaps?

Worth a try but my hunch is the Genius's idea may well be 'Buy a new iPad'.  Happy to be proven wrong but if I'm right, given the way Kitz obviously feels about all this, I'd not like to be in the shoes of the Genius that suggested it...    >:(

You are not wrong.   Aside from the fact I dont relish the thought of the best part of a day trip to the nearest Apple store. 
I've enough on my plate trying to make dad's funeral arrangements and sort out his affairs....  nvm the chaos Im living in until my house is redecorated after the water leak.   I now have a bathroom again and a kitchen/dining room ceiling, but there is still a lot of work needing doing before my kitchen & lounge are functional.  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 08:59:53 PM »

my own upgrade to iOS 8 went well, even despite widespread rumours at the time that that would also end in tears.

iOS 8 went ok for me too.  No problems with it.

Is IPad Air safe to upgrade, or not?

Its perfectly fine.  I updated it on dads ipad Air several weeks ago. 
In fact because it was fine on his I upgraded it on mine.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 09:10:59 PM »

As I pointed out earlier, IOS 9.1 runs perfectly on an iPad 3 64MB Flash. So there's either something about Kitz' configuration that it doesn't like, or it just doesn't like the iPad 2.

(Btw there is a major difference between the iPad 5 (aka Air) and the iPad 4. The iPad 5 has a completely different processor, 64-bit ARM, whereas the earlier machines are 32-bit. So the code for iOS is completely 100% different on the iPad 5 compared with the earlier models.)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »

Whilst doing this and going through all the settings to turn everything off... WTH is Spotlight search.   Its turned itself on for every single app I have on the ipad.  EVERYTHING. :(

To be completely honest, I have no idea what problem Spotlight I supposed to solve, it's been around a while, OS X has it too.  I think it is meant to help you find stuff on your device, and these days, find things in cloud and web too.   But  I like to think I already know where I've put  everything, so it's just pointless overhead.   The most important Spotlight settings to disable IMHO are 'Spotlight suggestions' and 'bing web results' as they can result in accidental web traffic if you pull down the wrong menu, uploading stuff to Apple as well as, more obviously Bing.   Privacy concerns, as well as quietening down the 'noise', may be further motivators to disable these...

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 09:48:02 PM »

As I pointed out earlier, IOS 9.1 runs perfectly on an iPad 3 64MB Flash. So there's either something about Kitz' configuration that it doesn't like, or it just doesn't like the iPad 2.

(Btw there is a major difference between the iPad 5 (aka Air) and the iPad 4. The iPad 5 has a completely different processor, 64-bit ARM, whereas the earlier machines are 32-bit. So the code for iOS is completely 100% different on the iPad 5 compared with the earlier models.)

True, but with qualifications.  My 2013 iPad Mini (retina display) also has 64 bit arm.   For Apps that target both 32 and 64 bit processors, Developer tools basically generate two binaries, then the App Store takes care of downloading the right one for the device.   AFAIK a 32 bit binary would run on 64 but devices, at least up to iOS 7, but it was discouraged as a single 32 bit App can pull in a whole proliferation of 32 bit OS compatibility overheads.

It's all an example of why I think Apple deserve some praise for the effort they are going to, supporting older hardware.  As long as they can actually make it work!

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 10:14:23 PM »

I think that was perhaps a typo, should have been 'Apple stopped signing iOS 8'?   
Sorry my bad, 8.4.1 and 9, Apple is now signing iOS 9.0.1 and iOS 9.0.2 only according to here.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/30/apple-no-longer-signing-ios-8-4-1-and-ios-9/
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »

I think that was perhaps a typo, should have been 'Apple stopped signing iOS 8'?   
Sorry my bad, 8.4.1 and 9, Apple is now signing iOS 9.0.1 and iOS 9.0.2 only according to here.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/30/apple-no-longer-signing-ios-8-4-1-and-ios-9/

Ah, I see what you meant now, and why you said as you did.   Not technically inaccurate after all. :)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 10:27:16 PM »

Ive gone through the list and disabled it all for each and every app.

Things do now seem a bit smoother and Ive just been able to use the ipad for more than 10 mins without it crashing.

Will see how this goes. Keep your fingers crossed for me.  :fingers:

Spotlight search is a bit like disk indexing on Windows. It scans all your files, and anything apps store that could help you for a search - so it could well improve your performance.

Another thing to try is to see whats being allowed in "Background App Refresh" in settings, turning a few things off here that don't need to be on may indeed help somewhat :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 11:06:02 PM »

I cant seem to find that setting jamie.   There is a background refresh in podcasts but I cant see it elsewhere unless Im going blind.

I have also already cleared things like cache, cookies and website data.

What I find strange is that I didn't seem to have many difficulties when updating to iOS8 which is when a lot of other ipad2 users started moaning about slow-downs and crashes, yet it seems to have bit me in the butt on iOS9 :(

I haven't really tested it properly as Im trying to compose several things on the PC atm, but the small amount of testing I did do, seemed a bit better since turning off spotlight.... but then again I havent been searching for anything on the ipad either.   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:09:24 PM by kitz »
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7