Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: iPad2 and iOS 9  (Read 49847 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
iPad2 and iOS 9
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »

Has anyone else got an iPad 2 and upgraded to iOS 9?

I stupidly upgraded about a couple of weeks ago after sick of seeing the nag and knowing that my network and PC would be dismantled whilst workmen were in and loads of plaster dust flying every where, I thought I'd update as I would solely be relying on the iPad for any net access.

I'm on iOS 9.02 but it's rendered my iPad to a pos that keeps crashing.  Both black screening and apps crashing.   It crashes mail, it causes safari to frequently crash after a short period of browsing and I constantly lose pages and they have to reload.   I try open games that I've had on here that have worked fine for years, but now they take ages to load, and then will crash.

Typing is slow and I frequently have to wait for text to catch up... And then pray it doesn't crash.  This is the 32GB version and has spare storage, so I'm assuming it's either RAM or processing power.

I have tried googling it seems there is a known issue, but I'm under the impression that 9.02 should fix the worst of it.

Not sure if I'm being paranoid in that iOS 9 shows how crappy the iPad 2 can be and make people think it's time to upgrade to a newer iPad  :(    It's taken me ages to make this post.

---
edited topic title to ipad2
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:41:46 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Ipad and iOS 9
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »

A typical example of how bad things are.

I was reading blacksheeps post here.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16263.msg247854.html#new

As soon as I clicked the link, then safari said 'A problem occurred with this web page so it was reloaded'.    I only have safari open, nothing else, and there was only the forum open in safari, until the attempt to open the link.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 09:32:33 PM »

Sorry Kitz I have yet to install 9 on my iPad 2.  And nor have I spent any time browsing for other people's bad experiences, I know I'd get depressed. :(

I do sometimes get that 'problem.. Page reloaded' message on my iPad 2 iOS 8.3, though not seen it on later iIPads or iPhone devices.   When things are 'bad' have you tried closing unnecessary background Apps (double tap home key, then swipe each one up in turn)?   That does often seem to help my own iPAD 2 to start behaving itself.   

Maybe worth explaining a bit about iOS memory management, and why there is logic to that idea...   Apps generally are written on the assumption that 'Memory Allocation will never fail'.    When free memory gets so low that allocation would fail, iOS starts broadcasting 'Low-memory warnings' to all running & background Apps.  Well-behaved Apps are meant to try and free up some memory and if that doesn't work, iOS will kill a background App of its choosing, to allow the allocation of new memory, allowing the new allocation to succeed as expected.

The trouble is, the low-memory warning event is a code-path that I suspect does not always get the testing it should by App developers and yet with each new iOS, always more hungry than the last, it is all the more likely to happen. 

Sorry for the long-winded answer. :-[

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 09:47:15 PM »

I only have safari open, nothing else, and there was only the forum open in safari, until the attempt to open the link.
Sorry didn't notice that bit, been a long day.   :-[

My Previous post probably not much help then.   :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »

Thanks 7LM. I was hoping you'd see the post as I know you bought yours at the same time as mine and I wondered how you had faired with the upgrade.

I haven't really had time to explore a solution in great depth... Not helped by the fact that ATM it is my only access to the Internet.  From what posts I have seen, then if you haven't upgraded, then I wouldn't recommend doing so for an iPad 2.   

I know there have been issues with some upgrades in the past, but they are more of a buggy nature, which compared to this is a performance issue... I too suspected memory.

Yes I have all other background apps closed down in an attempt to free as much resources as possible, but sometimes all it takes is opening another page in Safari after following a link.   The crash will usually be if the newly opened page has some sort of video.

The benefits of iOS 9 seems to have little to offer for the iPad 2 as most of the improvements don't work on the ipad2 anyway.  The biggest difference that I can see is the way you now close other apps.  No more swiping up, but now you get a new multi display of running apps (hard to describe until you see it).  The only other difference I can see is a new font on the home screen (very boring and bland) and also they've changed the icons again.   Bookmarked website icons seem odd and looks like some websites will have to upload more new Apple web icons or it just displays the first letter of the site. 

The only thing that does sometimes work is completely power downing the iPad and let it start up again, but this is now a very slow process (circa 5 mins) and not something I really want to keep having to do whilst surfing :(

-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 10:08:50 PM »

One more suggestion, still sticking with my hunch that the problems are memory-related... Maybe clear Safari's cache & website data?  You will of course have the hassle of logging back in to all sites...  ???

And one more... When mine (iOS 8) comes unstuck after a few minutes of Safari non-responsiveness it often does so with an accompanying 'new mail bong' from the mail App, so I strongly suspect  that background mail downloads sometimes interfere with Safari.   No suggestions for fixing or avoiding this aspect, but maybe food for thought?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:35:31 PM »

Good suggestion.   Worth a try and I will certainly give it a go.   

Although not just yet.  Not certain if I can recall all my passwords and as everything is neatly boxed up whilst I have various workmen in.    I will have a look to see what I can clear though such as history etc.

Mail is one of the other things that does crash, but I'm trying to avoid downloading mail now.  I realised the other day that taking my PC offline means that the prog I have running 24/7 on it to check and auto delete spam direct from the server usually does a very good job.   It's no big surprise that the iPad crashes attempting to download several hundred mails :(.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 11:54:43 PM »

I suppose you could disable 'push' on mail.

In my own experience 'push' has never worked with any iOS version so no great loss.   :D

BTW when my iOS 8 iPad 2 Safari acts up, it is also very often when viewing pages with 'irrelevant' video, for example, as often seen in mainstream newspaper articles.

The page linked by BS does work, I don't get the 'reloaded' error.  But it's far from perfect, I scroll down half way it freezes a bit while it fills the content and then same again when I scroll back up again from end.   Clearing cache made no difference so don't raise your hopes.

With my developer's hat on, Apple's support of older devices for iOS 9 is good, as I can better forget about older iOS versions.  That allows me to focus on new features and use the  latest tools. It is also good for users, as latest Apps in the store will work with their devices.  And it's good Apple too, simplifying 'support'.   But they really do need to make sure it actually works satisfactorily. >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:17:15 AM »

Yep I'd already disabled push for mail.  In fact I'm not downloading any mail at all now, it takes too long to download and manually sort through.  I'll wait until I have the network back up and at least if I'm not downloading or checking mail then I know it's not that which is causing the problem.

I think you are correct about that page,  I'd already noticed it only seems to happen mostly on pages with media/video. It seems to be ok if I stay just on say this site.    It's certainly looking like a resource issue, most likely memory.  I've no idea though how much more iOS 9 uses compared to ios8.   There has got to be something using extra resources :(
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »

I have an iPad 5 and an my wife has an iPad 3. The iPad 3 is a big fat one (64MB of flash). I haven't had any problems since iOS 9.0.x, although my wife did have one particular third party app that went spectacularly bad with the upgrade to 9.0.1 (app crash immediately on launch).

I have not had any problems either. I wonder if it is as you say, a low resource issue, even free flash FS space?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:39:32 AM by Weaver »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »

An update on this.   Im hugely disappointed with iOS 9.  It brings little new features to the iPad2 and its not worth upgrading.

I installed the update to 9.03 a couple of days ago hoping for improvement,  but things arent any better and it still crashes frequently.  I didn't have these problems with iOS 8 and I have the 32GB version, so its not the basic one and there still is plenty of free space.   I'm of the opinion now that it is a resource issue because safari will crash on any web pages with video.  It also crashes if I have more than one item open.
Because my network has been down whilst workmen have been in, and my only way to access the internet, its been totally unreliable to download any mail from my server and quite frankly whilst I did quite like the ipad aside from Apple restrictions, there's no way I can roll back and I now consider it a PoS fit for the bin.

Perhaps this is Apples way of making you buy updated hardware.  I really am not impressed, the damn thing has nearly gone out of the window several times because what used to work, no longer does.   Ive seen on several sites now that iOS 9 is not recommended installing for certain hardware including the ipad2 :(
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 11:38:57 PM »

:(

Gee that's bad.  I've not yet installed iOS 9 on my iPad 2 but I will have to do so eventually, as I need to use it for testing.

Only thing I'd say is, while I - like  yourself - bought mine in 2012,  iPad 2 was launched in 2011. I think it's unusual for a tablet vendor to even attempt to offer continued latest OS support for a device that's 4 years from launch.   There will of course be exceptions, but I wonder for example what percentage Android tablets from 2011 are even still in use, let alone on latest versions?

But if the updates kill the device then it's all no good at all. :-\

As regards fixing it, my own upgrade to iOS 8 went well, even despite widespread rumours at the time that that would also end in tears.   One difference was, I applied it as a full factory reset and then restore, with the new iOS.  Settings for mail download etc were then applied from scratch.   Up to you whether that is worth a try.  My hunch is it won't help you, but as a long shot...?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 01:24:39 AM »

My HTC sensation (launch date 2011) has an unofficial port of cyanogenmod to bring it up to lollipop (current android version). So it's certainly possible with non-Apple devices.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »

I think Apple stopped signing the IOS 9 files at the end of September, as this was my first line of thought too  :(
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7