Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 on TalkTalk ADSL2+ - TV Multicast?  (Read 3055 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
HG612 on TalkTalk ADSL2+ - TV Multicast?
« on: October 16, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »

I'm aware this is perhaps a bit of a long shot, but I wondered if anyone here might have an idea or pointer.

I've been successfully using an HG612 in ADSL mode, running Asbokid's unlocked firmware at first, now running Howlingwolf's B030SP08.

I get a faster, more stable connection than I used to with the TalkTalk supplied HG533.  (Which I continue to use, but only to provide a wireless access point, it is connected only to the LAN side and not the DSL).

The only thing that I lose with this setup is access to TalkTalk TV via the YouView box.  None of the multicast channels work.

Very occasionally there's something on there I'd like to watch, so it's a minor irritation.

On the ex-BT HG612, if I go to the maintenance page, there's a "Multicast Upgrade" tab.  I've entered the following in there, as copied from the TalkTalk HG533 :

Multicast upgrade [tick]
Multicast IP address 239.10.0.100
Multicast port number 37123

However, the YouView box still doesn't work with multicast channels, which worked fine with the TalkTalk HG533.

Any thoughts?

Clearly this is a non-standard setup, so I don't expect it to work, but it'd be nice if it could be persuaded to  :D

Ian

[Edit :  Oops, another example of me being forgetful, I asked this question on this very forum a while back! I never did get it to work though.]

[Moderator edited to fix the broken link.]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:46:30 PM by burakkucat »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 on TalkTalk ADSL2+ - TV Multicast?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »

You'll need to go to Advanced > IGMP

Enable the IGMP snooping and then IGMP Proxy, V3. Then select your connection interface from the tick list. I'm using the HG612 for VDSL so my interface may look slightly different, but the settings should be near enough identical?

IGMP is required to get YouView live channels working, I'm guessing this but I remember before there was a bug on the HG533 router where on VDSL, IGMP proxy wasn't setup correctly.

Let me know if it works :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 07:43:07 PM »

Thanks for the reply jid.

I assume you meant to show the IGMP proxy option in the picture as ticked, which it already was for me, but in any case I tried unticking it and it didn't make any difference - the YouView box still didn't work.

My TalkTalk HG533 isn't connected or setup in the way that it would usually be for a fibre conneciton.  Everything for my ADSL setup is done through the ex-BT HG612.  I suspect this might be why the YouView doesn't connect correctly to the Multicast streams.

I only use the TalkTalk HG533 to provide wireless access, if I switch it off, everything on my network continues to work normally, including Internet (but excluding wireless devices).  I believe this is different to the usual fibre setup with an HG612 and an HG533, where both devices are required for a working network, and working YouView multicast TV.

Ian

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 11:42:45 PM »

I assume you meant to show the IGMP proxy option in the picture as ticked

Yes this was my fault, I meant for it to be ticked :)

Did you also enable IGMP Snooping? Also try disabling the QoS, I disable it on mine for Fibre as having it on limits upload speed. Huawei are the manufacturers of the HG533, so I would think it's only the IGMP settings you need to adjust.

Other than this, I don't know, but I would think having all the IGMP switched on would work.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather