Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 'DMT' tool Running Under 'Wine'  (Read 7805 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
'DMT' tool Running Under 'Wine'
« on: March 10, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »

Hello I'm trying to get the 'DMT' tool running Under 'Wine'
I have 'wine' installed via 'synaptic' and set it to pretend it running xp. under pclinos.
I did first try the DMT tool file from my windows drive, but could not get it to work.

So I downloaded the DMT .zip for my router, saved it to /home/tickmike/downloads/dmt
Extracted it to the same folder, made it 'executable' in permissions.
Right click the .exe -->open with wine emulator              It sometimes try's to open, it's only opened once after trying many times.(then I could not get it to connect  >:D)
I have done this with 'Netmeter' tool and that works ok. (got that to open on boot  ;) )

Any tips. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:52:16 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: 'DMT' tool Running Under 'Wine'
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:57:58 PM »

DMT does work with Wine, but it won't connect unless you run it as root. Try this from the command line:
Code: [Select]
kdesu wine <path to DMT.exe>
That works fine here.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:02:09 PM »

DMT does work with Wine, but it won't connect unless you run it as root. Try this from the command line:
Code: [Select]
kdesu wine <path to DMT.exe>
That works fine here.

Hello Eric, I'm pleased you came to my rescue.
I tried the above.
If I use the terminal as root then it opens it up, and it works ok, but it will not work from ~ terminal,It will bring root password box up, them when I filled that in  and press enter....blank.

I want it to auto start when I boot up, so in 'Konqueror'-->Go-->Autostart     I have made a link to the folder that holds the DMT.exe file. (Having made theDMT.exe file   owner = me, group = root ).
But it still will not launch it on boot up . >:(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:11:08 AM »

I think that DMT only works with Wine if you're actually running it as root - being a member of the root group isn't enough. So I really can't see a way to autorun it when logging on as a user. I expect it can be done (most things can) but I'm afraid I don't know how.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »

I think that DMT only works with Wine if you're actually running it as root - being a member of the root group isn't enough. So I really can't see a way to autorun it when logging on as a user. I expect it can be done (most things can) but I'm afraid I don't know how.

Well it will not get me beaten ;), so for now I will run it as root.

Thanks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »

That's the spirit! :)
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:05:06 AM »

Update.

I found out I can use the 'Run' command as Root in my user account.
So I put this in..

"wine /home/tickmike/Downloads/DMT/DMT.exe"

Filled in my root password, pressed run and hey presto it worked  ;D

So somehow I need it to work from KDE autostart next. ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:38:03 AM »

You could add a new application link in your ~/.kde/Autostart directory with this command:

su -c "wine /home/tickmike/Downloads/DMT/DMT.exe"

When KDE starts, a box should pop up asking you for your root password, and then DMT will run. I don't know of a reasonable way to avoid entering the password.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 11:28:59 PM »

Ok lesson learn't, "Do not try things out on the main family computer"  :-[   (it was a good job I had configured other computers for the family use, Daughters homework, wifes charity work for our village hall. etc. or I would have been in big trouble  :blush:)
After trying out different things last week to get this working, something started to go badly wrong, after several major crashes, I think  (I hope) I have it all back again.
So now I will try were I left off, but on one of my 'test' machines.