Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Weird problems, unsure what was going on  (Read 2694 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Weird problems, unsure what was going on
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:52:58 PM »

This is a mixed bag, but today something strange has been happening.
DSLStats has continually shown the connection as active, our internet radio and wife's IPad too. However nearly all day I was unable to get to emails or browse. Making a back up took ages, as if a snail with a broken leg were involved.

Could be coincidental :-\ but all seems to relate to my installing AVG Free 2016 and AVG Zen, which I felt unhappy with, and found horrendous to uninstall. (I used Revo Pro). AVG was replaced by Avast.
Even after uninstall AVG left was still in great presence, unusual when Revo has been used, and all attempts to remove items manually had permissions problems despite my administrator/user status.

It was only when I did a sysres back a few days that my machine got connected and I was able to remove AVG and manually clean the registry.

I am utterly conbobulated, confused, bald from the events. Am I gone mad, or is there an explanation?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Weird problems, unsure what was going on
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 01:54:00 AM »

Did you use the AVG 'Remover' program ?

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Most AV companies have utilities to remove their AV products as they can 'fight' being uninstalled.
The 1st thing malware will try to do is switch off or remove AV products.
Sometimes when uninstalling AV products you get various agents and registry data left behind in an unknown state.
These leftovers can make the AV products think an attempt has been made to uninstall or switch off the software which is not valid.
AV products will 'knit' themselves into your network configuration so they can monitor/scan internet access.
This can be broken by the partial uninstall.
Norton and Kaspersky products used to be notorious for these sorts of problems.
Not to be outdone the other AV vendors have gotten into the same problem arena as their products have got more complex to fight more and more sophisticated malware.  ;D ;D

I have had situations where the only way to ensure the PC worked correctly was to deinstall/reinstall the network drivers to force the setup to be rebuilt from scratch, after removing the AV software with extreme prejudice!!  :D
[Extreme Prejudice means running the 'last resort' removal software from the vendor, trawl through the Registry removing all leftover keys/data that referenced the AV product then delete all directories/files that contained any files referenced by the AV product including *Temp* directories/files. Beware of 'RunOnce' entries and/or agents that are hidden in the registry that are 're-animated' on reboot.]

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »

Thanks for that. As said I used Revo Pro. I get impression from coloured bit that I may not yet be clear of AVG?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:25:13 AM by renluop »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 10:42:39 AM »

decided to use avgremover 64 bit, but get Windows warning that prog has stopped working.

Log is att'd.
AVG is, of course still there. What might I have mucked up?

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »

Reinstall AVG, reboot, then run the avgremover.
Regards,
Mick

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »

That idea was forming, but I wondered if it would actually work from experience so far.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »

@Mick
Totally agree.

@Renluop
The log file mainly consists of messages stating that things that should be removed are not there to be removed !!  ;D
Installing the AV software again puts everything back that should be there for the remover software to remove, if you get what I mean.
The software stop is probably a consequence of the remover software not finding certain critical things, which the software has not been able to handle and hence the software stops/crashes/hangs.

This highlights that software that performs de-installs for you, such as Revo Pro, can sometimes miss things when the installation process is changed by the original vendor or multiple software products are installed together
i.e. AVG Free 2016 and AVG Zen.
AVG probably modify the installation because the 2 AVG products share access to the same data etc.
You are dependant on the Revo Pro vendor always being up to date with the latest configuration of the software it de-installs.
I trust the original vendor more when it comes to de-installing any software. !!  (At least they should know what to change and what to delete ... I would hope!!) ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 05:55:44 PM »

My efforts are not bringing much success. Latest is Error code: 0xE0018D32 and from AVG support site am trying another suggested link in hope. :-\ that vendors do know the score. ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »

Another fail as per attachment, but I'll try remover. It'll keep me occupied. ::)

EDIT
Also now getting pop up C: AVG folder is not accessible
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:41:56 PM by renluop »

renluop

• Kitizen
(SOLVED) Re: Weird problems, unsure what was going on
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »

Despite all, this time the problem has gone this morning on start-up