Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: REIN - Buzzing on AM radio  (Read 7437 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: REIN - Buzzing on AM radio
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »

Ha ha, no probs ................ well out of my catchment area, I'm afraid.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 10:13:21 PM »

Ha ha, no probs ................ well out of my catchment area, I'm afraid.

I thought as much. The strange thing was the guy was not from around here (or so he said) which just made me curious! :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 07:14:44 AM »

My cousin, 'White Sheep' perhaps ??  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 11:53:07 PM »

I know it sounds geeky but i often found when tuning my car radio to a low band on MW it would pick up stuff from power lines as you drove around and this was discoverd as i have a facination with elecitical storms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SKD_xmzc8k

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »

It is probably neighbour's welder. I've heard similar sound from the welder at the same time when I've heard buzzing on AM radio.

Best regards
konrado5

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 09:09:39 PM »

It is probably neighbour's welder. I've heard similar sound from the welder at the same time when I've heard buzzing on AM radio.

Arc welding it's like a mini local thunderstorm to get the welding going you need to ground/earth the subject for welding and then start arcing the tip to start welding, its been about 20 years since i last used one and didnt have broadband then.

All i can say Arc welding is a fine art to master and remember to use the blackout mask or you will see an imprint of the arc in your vision for hours :(

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »

Quote from: Black Sheep
You may very well pick up interference on an AM radio if nearby, but without using a spectrum analyser on your circuit, it can not be proven to be service-affecting noise.
It is certainly service-affecting noise because I see a lot of CRC errors always if I have this noise on AM radio. If there is 5 seconds break in the noise I have 5 seconds break in CRC errors. It is perfect coincidence. However it does not affect service on standard target SNR margin 6 dB. It affects on SNR margin ~1 dB.

Best regards
konrado5

doh!  :no:  that is why your seeing an increase in CRCs anyway - 1db SNR Margin should never be set, thats why it doesnt affect your service at the 'proper' SnR of 6db - you should go no lower than 3db if you must reduce it - analogy = your in a rocky boat and 1db means the waterline is almost at the rim of the boat meaning water gets in easily (high CRC's) - 6db means the rocky boat is high out of the water and hardly any water gets in when it rocks...  I remember the days when I was just starting out learning about ADSL and would try to set 1db margins thinking I was clever (it would always go to 1.9db or so as that was as low as it could go) then I learned (and experienced) how it all works and since then never did drop my SNR margin lower than 3db (if I needed to do it - which, in the end...I didn't, due firmware updates both router and MSAN I got fast enough speeds at 6db)

doesnt matter for me now as I'm on Virgin 100Mb which  :fingers: has been great, 102Mbps over 5Ghz wi-fi , 6Mbps upload 7 days a week, never had any slowdowns at all.

anyway that was my two pennys worth  :)

hope your all doing well :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:38:08 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »

Well hello there, snadge. How's mi' Geordie friend doing ??  :)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »

Well hello there, snadge. How's mi' Geordie friend doing ??  :)

am not too bad, been having a very hard time lately, split up with my ex after 14 years (devastated) and Im now living in a shared house in Bensham, my health has totally deteriated. to the point i had to quit my job at PC World.

hope your all doing ok :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »

Taken this to PM.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything