Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Using new router/modem combination  (Read 9030 times)

sof006

• Reg Member
Using new router/modem combination
« on: October 09, 2015, 10:51:21 AM »

Okay guys so I have a few questions. I am on an ECI Cabinet (as far as I am aware) and I have been using a HG612 (unlocked) modem along with a R6250 router but have had high amount of HEC and FEC errors along with the occasional CRC error's which total about 4k over the span of a month (FEC and HEC being a lot higher).

I have as of yesterday swapped out to the DSL-AC68U all in one modem/router and have since been syncing at a higher speed than the HG612 with no CRC errors but noticed I am on interleaved for both upload and download when previous I was on fastpath.

Previous speed I had on the HG612 was 63Mb, then went to 69Mb,70 and now 71Mb within the span of a couple hours after plugging it in. SNR on the download is currently sitting at 5.8dB from what I last checked. Do you guys reckon my speed should increase further and any chances of the line leaving interleaved in favour of fastpath again?

I can't post any proper line stats as of yet because I am not at home however I will be able to later tonight.

P.S Before I had issues with my router I used to sync at 79Mb and 20Mb so I know my line can achieve this speed as I had this speed for a solid year after connecting to FTTC on my cabinet.

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Using new router/modem combination
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »

If you were looking at the errors reported by the HG612 on the web interface, be aware that these are not reported correctly. You have to use Telnet (preferably with DSLstats/Modem Stats) to get a real idea.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:05:41 AM »

"Previous speed I had on the HG612 was 63Mb, then went to 69Mb,70 and now 71Mb within the span of a couple hours after plugging it in. SNR on the download is currently sitting at 5.8dB from what I last checked. Do you guys reckon my speed should increase further and any chances of the line leaving interleaved in favour of fastpath again?"

Oh and sorry to correct this sentence. The speed stayed at 63Mb on the HG612 it only started increasing when I plugged in the new router/modem (DSL-AC68U)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:43:55 AM »

To answer that, you have to be certain if your cabinet is an ECI or Huawei.

If you're on an ECI cabinet, then fastpath is always a possibility in the absence of errors and disconnections.
If you're on a Huawei then G.INP is always a possibility if your modem supports it.
The best way to tell is to see the traffic light display on DSLStats.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 11:47:10 AM »

I am not on a huawei cabinet because I have G.INP enabled on the current router and it isn't using it. Definitely using an ECI cabinet, not seen a Huawei cabinet in the whole of Wallsend. They are all ECI cabinets.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:47:30 AM »

I must imagine the higher sync on the new modem/router has caused lot's of errored seconds up and down and then the DLM has moved you off fastpath and onto the interleave profile.

did you notice any re-syncs in those 2 hours ?

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »

New router since plugging it in last night has caused not a single error, exactly 0 CRC errors to be exact. As for resyncs the only ones that it has done have been the ones caused by myself due to the router needed to reboot because I have changed a setting, for example I turned on filtered websites to block websites reported as malicious sites (great little feature).

Other than that no, woke up this morning and it was still sitting on no CRC errors and syncing at 71Mbs with a SNR on the DS of 5.8dB.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:34 PM »

Yes but now your line is interleaved the errors will be low, it's what happened in the first two hours on fastpath with the DSL-AC68U connected that holds the clue.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 12:07:51 PM »

A quick codelook says that 10, 13, 20 and 21 are Huawei cabs.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 12:11:20 PM »

I'm on cabinet 53, any ideas what that is? I believe its ECI.

Yes but now your line is interleaved the errors will be low, it's what happened in the first two hours on fastpath with the DSL-AC68U connected that holds the clue.

It was on interleaved upon plugged in the AC68U and was on fastpath on the HG612 prior. It was only upon plugging in the AC68U I saw the line stated I have been switched to interleaved.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 12:18:23 PM »

I'll wait until you can pop up some modem stats later on  ;)

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 12:21:57 PM »

I will post as soon as I can tonight.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »

Yes 53 is ECI.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 01:39:08 PM »

Yes 53 is ECI.

Ahh was hoping you'd prove me wrong and I was lucky enough to be on Huawei haha

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 05:41:46 PM »

Quick question, when using this site and checking my exchange. Why does it says 98% against my postcode yet everyone else has 100%?

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Am I getting degraded service and everyone else isn't?
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything