Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What Stormy Weather?  (Read 16209 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
What Stormy Weather?
« on: March 10, 2008, 11:15:30 AM »

Where’s the storm?

I’ve been watching news reports all morning about the severe weather, but just 12 miles east of Blackpool Tower this is what it is like at 11 am today.

From our living room window

Form our back door step

From the side of the hose

All are looking west towards Blackpool.
I have just taken the dog for a walk and did not need a coat on, just a sweat shirt.

dave

Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside! (Well not far away!) ;D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: What Stormy Weather?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:22:43 AM »

We had a bit of wind and rain here in Norfolk earlier this morning, but nothing to get excited about.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:32:42 AM »

it seems to be the south and Wales which has been hardest hit, although I don't think the storms have been half as bad as expected.  We've got lovely sunshine and little wind at the moment

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:33:03 AM »

You should try it down here in the south-west. Although apparently not too bad where I am, in mid-Devon, it's pretty wild in the coastal areas. The railway line that runs past my house is closed and I've seen maintenance gangs with a chipper working, so I guess they've had the wrong kind of trees on the line.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:39:59 AM »

We are getting the tail end  here, I should think the Gulf of Gascony  (Bay of Biscay) is rather rough !   We were basking only a few days ago ....and we should be basking again by Thursday ! 8)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »

No storm here in SW Scotland...............flat calm, sun coming through now and possibly the warmest day we have had this year.
Pouring rain up till about 10.30 am, lots of standing water on the narrow rural roads around here but all drying up now.

Just been reading this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7286972.stm about a tanker in difficulties in the English Channel.
The name of the vessel is "Astral"

Never knew that ships could be forum moderators !  :D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:16:02 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 12:43:09 PM »

Heavy rain here in Sheffield from about 5am to 9am,then sunshine,a bit breezy.I think the met office give you the worst case scenario so they cover their backs.Remember the hurricane in the south east 1987.I was working in london at the time.Came home thursday evening,all was fine.There was nothing in Sheffield,went back monday morning,could not believe the devestation,massive trees in hyde park uprooted and on their side.
I remember Michael Fish when questioned about the possibility of hurricane,he replied NO absolutly no chance. :-X

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 12:56:33 PM »

The name of the vessel is "Astral"

Now Kitz will dock my wages for moonlighting. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »

:lol:

We've been having gales here in Kent, and this morning the lights kept on flickering but didn't actually fail. At one stage it blew out my internet connection. :(
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »

Now Kitz will dock my wages for moonlighting.

What, you mean you actually get paid?
I would have thought you would pay Kitz for the "honour" of being a mod on her site.  :lol:

Wind and gales here in Birmingham West Midlands, early hours of this morning I thought the windows and roof were going to blow out.
Although it sort of calmed down about 5AM.

Last week we had deliveries of re-cycling box's, most people left them at the front of their property and the wind blew them all, up, down and around the street all night. (what a racket).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:01:44 PM by oldfogy »

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 02:29:35 PM »

:lol:

We've been having gales here in Kent, and this morning the lights kept on flickering but didn't actually fail. At one stage it blew out my internet connection. :(

Yep, it's pretty grim darn Sarf today  :(  although I've seen worse days for driving in. 

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 02:34:47 PM »

Just north of Brighton - I've retrieved our wheelie bin, the end of the garden is flooded, the wind is howling.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »

Wind is picking up again down west. Worse to come by all accounts.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 11:29:20 PM »

[In the south-west] we had some really high winds last night, don't remember anything like it for a long while.

I only had the window open a jar for some air but it had the door rattling and clothes swaying. Luckily and somewhat surprisingly no fallen trees and the power stayed on which was a nice change compared to past experiences of that sort of weather.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 11:37:35 PM »

I found out, tonight, that half my village was without electricity for most of today. I seem to be living a charmed existence vis-a-vis the weather.

I can hear the wind now, so it must be blowing pretty hard. Normally I don't hear a thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything