Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Concorde to fly again?  (Read 4027 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Concorde to fly again?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 07:32:09 PM »

Yup, I was on the ground with all 6 engines exhausts pointing at me from not far away overhead.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »

Concorde didn't need to cease flying when it did.  >:(

Even with the one and only crash (a crash not as a result of a defect with the plane) of this marvellous bird's history and the fact Airbus ceased maintenance support Richard Branson wanted to take them on. BUT even though the British concordes where owned by the government and British Airways received big bucks to fly them, British Airways didn't want them to fly anymore.

The sad fact is that all tooling and plans used in the manufacture of the plane are no more so the costs to make one or keep an aged one in the skies would be prohibitive.

The running costs and noise of the engines used in concorde compared to modern passenger planes would also propably make it a non stater as well.

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »

The backers apparently have in excess of £120m initial funding. I'd say that's enough to kick things off :D

I'm absolutely certain there's enough megarich people who'd pay to fly in it/charter it to make ongoing costs viable.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »

The backers apparently have in excess of £120m initial funding. I'd say that's enough to kick things off :D

I'm absolutely certain there's enough megarich people who'd pay to fly in it/charter it to make ongoing costs viable.

That is nowhere near enough to get RR and Airbus onside, perhaps if it were £120 billion then they just might start talking. You can wish all you like  but it aint going to happen.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »

You may be right but I don't think we've seen the last of it yet - when people are spending £250m+ on a "superyacht", what do you think they'd spend to have a share in the only supersonic passenger aircraft to whisk their friends around in?
Pages: 1 [2]