Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 - Attainable Rate question  (Read 5253 times)

sg86

• Just arrived
HG612 - Attainable Rate question
« on: September 30, 2015, 02:25:43 PM »

Hi, firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I stumbled upon here today when looking to get access to my openreach router (great work on the custom firmware/hack by the way works just great!).

I've had some issues recently with my connection speed jumping around so thought would dig a bit deeper, and hopefully being able to actually see modem stats i'll now be able to do that (with a lot of reading it seems)

I have BT Infinity Option 2, and below are my line speeds:

Attainable rate (kbit/s)   50524   454

How can i debug why my upload is basically screwed? What data/stats should i be looking at?

I have already plugged in a HH5 and strangely using speedtest.btwholesale.com i get an upload of 7mbps, but with my openreach modem i'm essentially getting 0. I had an engineer come out a few weeks ago to reset DLM because i was getting 41 and apparently should be getting closed to 50, they said my IP profile was capped.

I need the openreach modem because i'm using a standalone router (ERLite)

Any help really appreciated!

EDIT: Just wanted to add this as well, should Attn for upstream be 0?

Code: [Select]
Down Up
SNR (dB): 6.3 5.8
Attn(dB): 21.1 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.7 -3.6
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 02:45:06 PM by sg86 »

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 - Attainable Rate question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 03:16:26 PM »

Attainable rate isn't your line speed, it's what your line may be capable of under ideal conditions.

You really need to post more of your line stats, including noise margin and data rate, etc.

The attenuation for upstream isn't really 0 its just that your modem doesn't report it there.

sg86

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »

Attainable rate isn't your line speed, it's what your line may be capable of under ideal conditions.

You really need to post more of your line stats, including noise margin and data rate, etc.

The attenuation for upstream isn't really 0 its just that your modem doesn't report it there.

Hey, i did edit and post SNR, not sure where to find the other things, is this helpful?

Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Line rate (kbit/s)             50526         459 0 0
CRC errors                 6537         0 0 0
FEC errors                 1596         2 0 0
HEC errors                 8882         0 0 0

Connection Name Status Online Duration Layer2 Type
ptm1.101 Connected PTM
ptm1.301 PendingDisconnect PTM

As for the upstream, if i do a speed test i get like 0.01mbps, its basically not working, it took about 10minutes to upload a 2mb email attachment.

I'm essentially trying to find out if its a problem with my modem before calling BT out, it does seem that the BTHH5 gives me 7mbps on a speed test, but i've love to debug this more before buying a new modem, it did work fine a week or so ago.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:46:34 PM by sg86 »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 11:44:31 PM »

Welcome to the forum. :)
Download and use DSLstats to get your data then upload it so we can see it.
http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/index.html
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sg86

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »

Welcome to the forum. :)
Download and use DSLstats to get your data then upload it so we can see it.
http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/index.html

Hi tickmike, thanks.

I have in fact already played with DSLstats, and i talked to the developer about a server/daemon option, as running 24/7 on a desktop isn't really something I'd do. If he were to start from scratch he'd do it as a daemon and build GUI on top but its too late for that now.

If i leave it running for say 2hours would that suffice? What type of dump/report should i provide?

I'm back to using my HH5 now instead of my ERLite + HG613, rate is good both up and down, so it doesn't seem related to external influences

contents of "webserver" attached
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:39:15 AM by sg86 »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 11:54:12 AM »

I have in fact already played with DSLstats, and i talked to the developer about a server/daemon option, as running 24/7 on a desktop isn't really something I'd do.
It runs on a Raspberry Pi.

sg86

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »

I have in fact already played with DSLstats, and i talked to the developer about a server/daemon option, as running 24/7 on a desktop isn't really something I'd do.
It runs on a Raspberry Pi.

I don't want to get too off topic in the thread, so i have posted some stats, if anyone could take a look and let me know exactly what they are looking for that would be great.

As for the Pi, i do have one, but i don't see how you can still launch the app seeing as it needs GTK, without running full desktop OS with some kind of output device connected? IE, you can't SSH in and launch it and leave it running in the background can you? So its not different than a desktop

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »

You can run it using VNC as the display device. I don't really see why you're objecting to running DSLstats 24*7 with MDWS as that's the way to gather stats for others to comment on. I thought you may have some problem with leaving a PC always-on as that consumes a significant amount of power, but an RPi doesn't.

sg86

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »

You can run it using VNC as the display device. I don't really see why you're objecting to running DSLstats 24*7 with MDWS as that's the way to gather stats for others to comment on. I thought you may have some problem with leaving a PC always-on as that consumes a significant amount of power, but an RPi doesn't.

Yes i don't want to leave a desktop on when i have a server here, i'll look into setting up a VM and using VNC.

I've still posted some stats, and i keep asking what exactly are we wanting to look for? I understand that a weeks worth of data would help for certain scenarios but my rate isn't jumping around, its 0.4up and has been the same since connected.

edit: I've just removed my ERlite, restored it to default settings. My HG612 has been disconnected since the start of this thread pretty much, I've just powered it back up with nothing else connected and Upstream line rate = 455

What is causing this, my HH5 is completely fine, hardware failed or something?

Additional pastebin from "xdslcmd info --show"

http://pastebin.com/y5hh4vGu

Are we sure "Pwr(dBm):    13.7      -3.6" isn't an issue?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 04:58:34 PM by sg86 »

sg86

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »

Dray and others,

Just an update on this, i bought a new HG612 3B and flashed it, and the issue is fixed. The only figure i see changed is the one i kept pointing out about  the voltage, it was -3 now its +6.8

down         up
43921    9211

The only problem now that i see is my downstream is 43 when it was 50, is this because i've been unplugging my modem a bit? Do i need another DLM reset or will this slowly pickup over the coming weeks?

Thanks

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 01:31:42 PM »

I can't see anywhere where you pointed out the voltage before?

Glad you fixed it. It was pretty obvious that the modem was a problem given the the HH5 was better.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:14 PM »

I can't see anywhere where you pointed out the voltage before?

Glad you fixed it. It was pretty obvious that the modem was a problem given the the HH5 was better.

I think he means transmit power, not voltage, which was -3.6 originally

anything