Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OR engineers question.  (Read 3920 times)

mrpops2ko

Re: OR engineers question.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »

So I mentioned to the BTOR engineer about changing the tones like Black Sheep mentioned (so I could get more US and potentially have the option of reaching actual throughput 20mbit). He said it was the first he'd heard of it, and then he rang in to query it with someone else and they said i'd need a history of DLM before they'd do it (and cited a 10 day DLM training period which as far as I was aware is only accustomed to ADSL lines). He mentioned that I could get in contact with my ISP after that time to get them to come back.  ::) He and I both knew the likelihood of that happening was slim to none as it'd be at EU cost not ISP. Shame that even when you finally get them there, they wont do the work asked.  I didn't bother to argue the point - i'm just glad to be back on fastpath.

Originally I flashed my HG612 with the non-latest firmware and that gave me thousands of error seconds for 3 months. After that I got G.INP / interleaving applied and after diagnosing it on here I figured out what i'd done wrong with not having the latest firmware. My connection remained on very few errors at all for the next 7 months and still DLM would not relent. This time round though I hope to take more care and not get DLM'd.

It seemed whilst G.INP was active, it wasn't possible to get the full upstream speed. with G.INP the best I was getting was 18/18.5 mbit. With fastpath i'm getting 19.5 mbit.

What was quite strange though, is that i've noticed I lost about 30mbit attainable DS speed.

So previously I was getting 120/35 attainable and 80/20 sync. This time round i'm getting 80/35 attainable and 80/20 sync. Any idea why this is the case? i'm still being served by the same DSLAM - just I assume he used a different port to the one I was in previously. Can there be such huge swings in attainable speeds based upon different ports? (this wasn't due to fastpath or lack of either, as I had 120/35 attainable even when I was fastpath previously.)

[Moderator edited to change occurrences of GNIP to G.INP.]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:21:13 PM by burakkucat »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything