Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MDWS - Time Zone Error  (Read 2695 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
MDWS - Time Zone Error
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:00:59 PM »

Afternoon...

I've been using MDWS for several months without any problems. The data source was a small Windows laptop using the HG612 modem stats software attached to the HG612. Due to the modem being located in the kitchen, it wasn't the most convenient device to leave attached 24/7.

So I got hold of a Raspberry Pi, which will be much easier to conceal. I successfully built and installed it with DSLstats. Initially MDWS was reporting no data had been uploaded for nearly an hour despite there being TCP connections to the MDWS servers. After a while the status changed to say the following "User JamesK - Please restart DSLstats which is still reporting time in GMT!". I noticed I had got my user profile to set the timezone to the UK, so I removed that from the profile and rebooted.

I'm yet to see the MDWS site remove the error... So is there anything else I need to do/check? Is there a delay in the MDWS servers picking up the fact I've removed the timezone from the user profile?

Many Thanks....
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: MDWS - Time Zone Error
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »

Hi

Your local clock (from the time embedded in the uploaded log file) is running an hour behind that of the server for whatever reason, hence the message.... The only delay would be one minute if it was corrected and then the message would go away...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 04:10:36 PM »

I noticed I had got my user profile to set the timezone to the UK, so I removed that from the profile and rebooted.

What is your location then please if not UK?
Tony
My Books!

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »

My location is UK... I'll have a logon to the Pi and see what time it's reporting...

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »

The Pi by default was displaying the time as UTC, so 1 hour behind current BST. I've changed the timezone so it's now reporting the correct BST time on the desktop.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »

You're still on GMT for the uploads though. Try unloading DSLstats, reloading and restarting it. This rings a bell from when the clocks went forward and there were similar problems..... One user has been like it since April!
Tony
My Books!

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 08:50:28 PM »

This is really confusing me... here's the output of the date command on the Pi
root@raspberrypi:/etc# date
Tue Sep 29 20:46:21 BST 2015

Yet the modem output log file starts with an entry that is exactly an hour behind.

I've completely deleted the entire program and all config files it created, and have set-up again from the start and it still persists... very confused  ???
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:00:09 AM by JamesK »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 09:04:59 PM »

Could you try this ont RPi sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata select europe and london and give it a few minutes.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 09:30:58 PM »

I'd actually already done this with the tzselect command, and also set it to be the system default using this command:
sudo cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London /etc/localtime

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 09:34:52 PM »

Could you try this ont RPi sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata select europe and london and give it a few minutes.

I've run this command now, and I'll see what it does...

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 09:37:26 PM »

I've run this command now, and I'll see what it does...

Looks like your command fixed it... logs have now got the current time on them rather than GMT/UTC. Many thanks! :-)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »

Looks like your command fixed it... logs have now got the current time on them rather than GMT/UTC. Many thanks! :-)

Thats good i'll be using that command again on the RPi when the clocks go back 1HR on the 23rd of October back to dark evenings again  :(

anything