Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any Software that displays connection speed w/o going in to modem?  (Read 2047 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Any Software that displays connection speed w/o going in to modem?
« on: September 25, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »

I'm not sure if I've put this in the correct section.

Is there any program that could tell what the modem is connected at without going in to the modem?

I have a seperate router / modem setup. Wouldnt the router log the connection speed on the modem?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Any Software that displays connection speed w/o going in to modem?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 05:59:27 PM »

I'm not sure if I've put this in the correct section.

Is there any program that could tell what the modem is connected at without going in to the modem?

I have a seperate router / modem setup. Wouldn't the router log the connection speed on the modem?

The router should not care what the speed is, so I am not sure what you mean.
I have a 2 BOX Setup and the Router just routes whatever comes from the port connected to the modem.
The speed is constrained to be within the Gigabit range and that is it.
Whatever the speed of the modem the data still comes down a link that is a gigabit link and the router does not need to know anything else.

Something that measures data-throughput that is used by people with usage limits per month may work but will be a guesstimate based on what calculations the s/w makes.
The difficulty is that the usual way of getting the information is to query the modem, that is the assumption all software makes.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »

Unfortunately the people who designed the protocol used by routers to talk to modems (PPPoE) never put in any facilities to allow useful information like that to be transmitted from the modem.

I thought I read something once about Draytek routers partnered with a Draytek modem.

But as things are your router doesn't even know whether you have a modem or some other kind of device.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:18:37 AM »

Here is something which may give you the information you wanted.

It displays stats based on the bandwidth used, rather like the information you get with some Download front-ends for modem transfers of old.
(i.e. xmodem, ymodem, etc)

There is a 30 day trial you can play with. [DU Meter 7]

http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about